Climate change

There are 23 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,690 times. The latest Post () was by Splinter.

July was Earth’s hottest month ever recorded, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

Extreme heat plagued the Northern Hemisphere in particular. Asia experienced its hottest July on record, while Europe experienced its second-hottest.

NOAA and its predecessor have been recording these temperatures for 142 years.

https://bit.ly/July2021HottestMonth #climate #StateofClimate

• A fearful people are a compliant people.

Just sayin'

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."

H l Menchen

• Official Post

I tend to agree with the theory that, more than just politicians, the press just loves good story. The hottest, the coldest, the wettest, the tallest etc etc. I do believe the the earth's climate runs in cycles over huge expanses of time, with man's influence on the planet's atmosphere being only about 1000 years, if that.

And by the way, it was H I Mencken, who also said:

• NOBODY denies that the climate changes.

But PLENTY deny that climate change is a permanent progression rather than some temporary cyclical condition. What are you saying, Hydrino ?

A province [in Pakistan] first pledged to plant 1 billion trees in 2015. The initiative was so successful that the country is now in the midst of a 'Ten Billion Tree Tsunami’ to fight climate change.

In Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, residents of all stripes, from government officials to Boy Scouts, fan out along the hills. They bring with them chinar tree saplings — which can grow to nearly 100 feet tall — along with other varieties, and they begin digging.

It’s all part of an effort that started in 2015, when Imran Khan — then a provincial politician and now Pakistan’s prime minister — backed a program dubbed a “Billion Tree Tsunami.” The initiative reached its provincewide target in 2018 and was so successful that federal officials expanded the drive nationally in 2019 with a new goal of 10 billion trees — or, the “Ten Billion Tree Tsunami.”

“Everyone is waking up and starting to plant,” lawyer and environmentalist Hazrat Maaz told The Washington Post at the time.

The program addresses Pakistan’s history of deforestation as the country confronts the realities of climate change in the form of hotter temperatures, melting Himalayan glaciers and intensifying monsoon rains.

Washington Post, 21 August, 2021

• I'm saying that 'climate change denier' is a strawman that has literally no denotation, only a connotation. It is a debating tactic intended to avoid any substantial communication. Nobody claims that climate doesn't change (no denotation) so whoever uses the term virtue signals concern for the environment by implying the problems are caused by people who don't even exist.

The question is one of significant anthropogenic long term climate effect. The alleged culprit is carbon dioxide. The debate goes back to at least Arrhenius who observed greenhouse gas effects and feared CO2 would cause runaway atmospheric heating. His predictions were not fulfilled because he didn't account for energy saturation. A given intensity of illumination will result in specific amounts of energy absorption at specific frequencies. Most of the energy absorbed in the atmosphere is due to water vapor (notoriously difficult to model). CO2 is a minor player and methane is insignificant. As CO2 concentration increases, the energy absorbed is not a linear function. It saturates. This can be demonstrated quite simply in a lab, and it was, long ago. The amount of energy absorbed by CO2 increases more and more slowly as concentration increases. CO2 does not drive climate change.

I used to live in Boulder and wanted to work at NCAR. I followed the climate modeling models from the mid-70s. I was a computer programmer. I majored in feedback control theory. The climate models stalled out, meaning they couldn't produce forecasts past a certain range. The scientists declared failure, but nothing in government ever stops growing. The mission of the US Geological Survey was to map the US, which they finished long ago, but they still exist.

The climate topic has been demagogued into a religion.

Rather than understanding science, people who use the phrase climate change denier prefer to scapegoat and stereotype people who do try to understand the science. Al Gore and Greta Thunberg are religious demagogues.

I would quote H L Menchen again, but I'll give him a rest.

Look, I am all in favor of reducing pollution and protecting the environment, which is why I have spent so much of my life in energy research.

• Official Post

The GOP26 conference in Glasgow has just opened, but one can't help thinking that there are so many vested interests regarding fossil fuel that the effort to reduce emissions is going to take a heck of a long time. Or are the world leaders simply paying lip service to the climate change issue?

Take India for example, who's prime minister, Modi, has indicated net zero emissions by 2070, which is 50 years down the road. Surely the clamour is that change has to happen now?

• greta-titanic.jpg

Does anyone know what green hydrogen is?

I see some Australian guy is about to make a mega-investment in Argentina to produce and export it.

Sure I saw something on the BBC website about it....haven't a clue what it is though.

JCB signs green hydrogen deal worth billions
    JCB will take 10% of the green hydrogen made by Australian mining company Fortescue Future Industries.
    www.bbc.com

• Even the eco experts agree it's nigh on impossible to stop a practice that's been going on for thousands of years inside several decades. Especially when it involves countries like Brazil/Russia etc. All boils down to hard cash in the end.