A few questions about Argentina

There are 13 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,552 times. The latest Post () was by serafina.

• Hi all, recently joined (I did do an introductions post).

It's nice to find an English speaking forum on Argentina do tell me if I'm putting my foot in it though I don't know the cultural nuisances here.

1. I'm an Englishman, obviously there have been a few tensions between the British and the Argentines over the years over a certain set of islands. Not only that I know the Top Gear team got yeeted out of Argentina a few years back for a number plate, and a few years ago there was also political rhetoric about taking back the Falklands again. (My knowledge on Argentine politics is nil)

Is there hostility towards the British in Argentina from the common man? Will I find doing business harder in Argentina because I'm British (as opposed to any other foreigner?)

2. Everywhere I've been in the world the Chinese seem to be buying up land at a rapid pace, (Phnom Penh is expanding at a rapid rate mainly due to Chinese mafia money) But I've also seen it in Africa and not just urban areas but a lot of agricultural lands.

Are the Chinese buying up land in Argentina?

3, What is the real estate industry like in Argentina right now, I know foreigners can't buy rural land but I assume they can buy urban land?

4, Is it worth living in Argentina for 2 years and going for Argentina citizenship? (the main reason for this would be to buy farmland.)

5. What are the laws on firearms in Argentina? From what I've read it seems like they are becoming more necessary for self-defence.

Can foreigners own firearms in Argentina?

6. What are the main websites used for land/property in Argentina?

• Official Post

For real estate, the main websites are:

ZonaProp and Argenprop. Not all properties are listed there and there is no MLS like in other countries.

Also, the prices can be all over the place and right now it is a buyers market as there is low confidence in the government and the economic scenario.

For specialty real estate, like land, farms, luxury, foreigners etc. then you should look for real estate agencies specializing in that segment. i have always struggled to find those because they are usually small and not much advertised around, it is all word by mouth.

When I saw an interesting property, it was on one agency's website and because I had visited their office. Then I found it also on zonaprop but with smaller and limited pictures. There is not much attention to pictures and often it starts with a picture of the bathroom, like if the toilet or the shower heads is the main feature of a place!

I am not Brit but my husband had a confrontation with Malvinas veterans because he had a jumper with the England flag sewed on, and we were visiting a Malvinas installation. He didn't do it in purpose and he is Argentinian, so he was able to fend for himself. I would avoid England shirts but I don't think you will get a bad treatment just for being Brit.

However, any racist stereotype will play against you in case of arguments etc., regardless of your nationality.

• Outright hostility is very unlikely, I think in the 10 years I have been here I only had one person who did not like I was a Brit, and it was only a minimal situation that I handled. Most people don't care about asking where you are from if they notice you are from another country. Expect to be defined entirely by the sterotype of being British, and if you outwardly advertise it (the England shirt), you may find the problems you would be looking for.

• He's clearly a spy lol asking about firearms and farmland oh and the Chinese , clearly a Chinese spy yep that's it , i'm saying it.

• Morning all! Sorry I haven't posted sooner, mad Christmas/end of the year work rush.

Outright hostility is very unlikely, I think in the 10 years I have been here I only had one person who did not like I was a Brit, and it was only a minimal situation that I handled. Most people don't care about asking where you are from if they notice you are from another country. Expect to be defined entirely by the sterotype of being British, and if you outwardly advertise it (the England shirt), you may find the problems you would be looking for.

That's kind of what I assumed would be the case, I've lived in enough parts of the world to not be phased by stereotypes, bad teeth, bland food, posh well to do doesn't phase me.

Gosh...what an unusual range of questions.

He's fucked off......just as I thought he would.

I'm looking at Argentina as an investment opportunity for a few reasons.
    1. Thucydides Trap - I can see conflict between the US (and thus the west) and China within the next 4 years. A war between the West and China wipes out manufacturing in Asia. Just think how bad getting medications and PPE was during the start of Covid. Now stop manufacturing from China Vietnam, Cambodia and Burma (Which in any WW3 scenario would either willingly (Cambodia Laos Burma) or unwillingly (Thailand Vietnam) submit to China). This leads South America wide open to be a manufacturing hub for the west.

2, Cimate change - If climate scientists are going to be believed we're going to have agricultural dead zones in much of Africa (an awful lot of food is exported from africa) and the middle east. Argentina is known for its agricultural land. Also the UK has already changed beyond recognition and become more dangerous because of it. Soft-touch UK with hundreds of thousands of uneducated Climate refugees are just going to make things worse.

3. Tourism - Argentina has some fantastic game fishing, a few companies are exploring this but not many.

He's clearly a spy lol asking about firearms and farmland oh and the Chinese , clearly a Chinese spy yep that's it , i'm saying it.

I can assure you I don't work for MSS (Or for any state or private intelligence agency). I've seen Chinese buy-up land all over the world. They are buying huge swathes of their neighbours as well as Africa up. As for firearms I've lived in shit parts of the world, I hear crime in Argentina is soaring. Its always best to be ready to protect yourself if you can legally.

Thanks, Serafina that's really helpful looks like I'll have to get boots on the ground but also do some research as to what data I can pull from any Argentine land registry.

• Sounds like you have many things figured out, please do learn the language ,as you will be taken advantage of, also learn the art of bribing , know how much, when ,and who to bribe, bring cash ,and never ever put it in the bank, just a small portion to operate your venture. I wouldn't recommend firearms , as they are seen as evil here and the general consensus is , only police can have guns(who never show up on time)leaving only criminals who care very little to nothing about gun regulations, armed. Oh and also , defending yourself is frown upon around here, the gov' and most news outlets recommend to never resist a robbery as they say, you cell phone or your money is not worth your life.

I hope you have developed copious amounts of patience when it comes to legal paperwork, i will need every bit of it. Other than that, beef is cheap, wine is supposed to be decent, coffee is horrible, no good bacon to be found or apple pie.

Good luck to you , Pilgrim