Talk about today

There are 893 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 93,980 times. The latest Post () was by aficionado.

• Interesting comment about supplements for paying with credit cards above.

Our local deli which isnt cheap is now charging an extra 13% for payment with C/C.

I can understand that a supplement might be needed but I think 13% is a bit much.

I told the owner that unless he sorted something out I would be shopping less.

• Helpful

I can understand that a supplement might be needed but I think 13% is a bit much.

The mercadolibre and posnets machines add 5-6% to their cost, and stores take advantage when they say 10-15%. I remember that is what happened more often in past. I do the same as you, and stop shopping those places.

We have had SodaStream for many years. The replacement co2 canisters are ridiculous priced in USA, but have always been a little cheaper here. Recently with the MEP rate they have been very cheap. They ship door to door. Made in Israel but priced as though there is no import tax.

• It has always struck me as strange that so many grocery stores, cinemas, ice cream shops, and restaurants have had sweetheart deals with certain credit cards on certain days, offering sometimes as much as 40% off if you pay with those cards. Meanwhile, although it is cheaper for merchants to take cash, there are rarely cash discounts. And now, they are starting to add a “convenience charge” if you pay with a credit card, but still no acknowledgement that you are saving them money if you fork out pesos.

• Our gas fired water heater which is in the attic, started a leak this morning and I think it's had it. Just as well I managed to shut it down in time before the ceilings came down!

We bought a new on on Mercadolibre straight away at $168k. Mind you, the old one must be at least 15 years old, so not bad going really.

Pots and pans for hot water for the next couple of days.

• Supermarket shopping day. First stop La Anonima where it was unusually busy for the time we arrived. So I knew it wasn't going to be much fun and it didn't take long to be proven right. As if the aisles aren't narrow enough to navigate with a trolley they've piled up the entrance area with Xmas stock making it impossible to pass due to shoppers stopping to look at it all.

After breaking free from that traffic jam the first shelf packer we came across had his trolley parked in the middle of the next aisle making it impossible to pass. As his attention was elsewhere we waited and waited until the missus lost her patience and asked him if she could move it. Looking totally pissed off he grunted and pushed it to one side....no apology of course he was probably too busy muttering ''fucking pests'' under his breath.

Two aisles later we met another shelf packer who was also blocking our way. Again no attempt to let us through before he finished what he was doing. No apology either but at least he smiled when he let us pass. I said in loud English ''how nice of you to consider the fucking customer''!!

Went to the coffee section for some instant for me. All they had was several types of Dolca shit or even more overpriced shit which has sugar added. I was totally fed up by now as was the missus so we decided to go elsewhere. Ended up going to Dia then the Chinese...the latter was not only cheaper it was full of stock and had everything we wanted. :thumbup:

• It has always struck me as strange that so many grocery stores, cinemas, ice cream shops, and restaurants have had sweetheart deals with certain credit cards on certain days, offering sometimes as much as 40% off if you pay with those cards.

Indeed! At Havanna you get 40% when paying with the Galicia app (via QR) and using your VISA debit (and not your balance). A couple of times my internet connection didn't work and I had to pay the full price cash. Bummer, because their coffee is way overpriced and I would buy it only with 40% off.

• Found a lagarto lizard out at the quinta today. Sadly the dogs had got to it before me. At least it gave me the chance to get a closer look at the lovely markings they have. It was only a small one compared to some of the much bigger ones I've seen.

20231209-182537.jpg

• How big was it, UK Man , and how big are the larger ones you’ve seen? I’m completely unfamiliar with largato lizards (not many around in the city - -)

This one was a couple of feet long....part of its tail was missing. I've seen ones twice as long, usually crossing in front of the car on the dirt road out in the countryside. I don't know much else about them.

• Front page picture in the local newspaper today. It shows the new car polishing service offered by the police and apprehended drug traffickers.

122263.jpg

UK Man What other interesting wildlife do you get out there if anything? Snakes for example?

I've only come across one snake before and was able to capture it on video. No idea what type it was though. Looked pretty harmless.

Edited once, last by UK Man: Merged a post created by UK Man into this post. ().

• OMG, UK Man , you are lucky to be alive! That is the very rare and extremely dangerous, man-eating, Dotted Pipe Seeker, which will devour anything standing between it and a recently-smoked pipe. Did you see how it completely ignored that little lizard while on the hunt for a pipe smoker???

• Well what a day we had!

First I had to deliver a package to a snake refuge in Mercado de Frutos, Tigre, but they gave me the wrong address and in this heat and at 0945 am, my irritability factor increased considerably, due to a lack of caffeine.

(I was supposed to be helping with the transfer of personal belongings from the city, but I was detained on another errand.)

I finally found the snake pit up a flight of steps, in a massive new industrial park next to the port which nobody seems to know if it even exists.

Anyway, I don't like snakes so I gave them the package and was about to vamoose when a 'More than my job's worth' bloke took it upon himself to reprimand me for riding my bike around and inside a shopping centre where I could be a danger to pedestrians and shoppers.

Being completely deserted and almost post-apocalyptic, I asked him where the shoppers were, whilst asking him to kindly move away.

'That's not the point...' he exclaimed.

'I think it is,' I replied, at which he sloped off.

I then enjoyed a rattling great ride down Ramal Tigre motorway, Pan Americana and finally home where my coffee from earlier was waiting.

Unfortunately, ants were then devouring most of Adri's office book case, so the exterminator had to be called.

He arrived bang on time, as usual, since it's not the first time and he fumigated the entire house inside and outside, but it won't be the last time.

Then, as a stroke of luck, the plumber turned an hour later and I helped him install a new gas hot water boiler since ours had bit the dust last week.

Believe me, it was very hot work and I'm glad he was an old-school type because he welcomed the help and only charged us $8000 for the work.

Later, I popped out for supplies, bought some baccy at the same price it was yesterday (a victory), found a corner shop in Martinez, bought some Coke and a bottle of Havana Rum at $6200 which was a major victory in itself, considering that everywhere else it's about $10,000.

I'll be back there tomorrow to buy all their stock.

On arriving home, I put the old gas/water boiler out and just happened to notice the old price sticker from when it was bought in 2009.

By the way, that 36,000% inflation/devaluation in 14 years.

See for yourself and know that we just paid $167,000 for a new one.

I'm now enjoying a nice, cold beer!