Talk about today

There are 191 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by UK Man.

• I began another article for DCT, this time a game review of Far Cry 5. Then I got distracted by the challenge of riding the bike up to Marquez/Panamericana in the pouring rain, to pay for the next boot fair in May. Enjoyable but challenging and even in the rain, it's more fun than driving a car in BA.

Tonight I'm going to help a British mate drown his sorrows at his place, over a few beers and pizza and maybe a drop of Sauvignon.

🍻

• I've always looked at water-soaked bikers with enormous pity as rain pelted down. It really is preferable to be rain-slammed than driving in a car?

And what is the boot fair? Never heard of it.

• Even when it's raining it's quicker on a bike.

Anyway, the feria is where we reserve a space in the car park of a school, set up tables and hangers, then sell all our junk to the public.

There are usually around 300 others doing the same and we made $6000 last weekend, so it's viable.

• Even when it's raining it's quicker on a bike.

Anyway, the feria is where we reserve a space in the car park of a school, set up tables and hangers, then sell all our junk to the public.

There are usually around 300 others doing the same and we made $6000 last weekend, so it's viable.

Sounds fun! When is the next one?

• Yes, it was very pleasant thanks. We've been going there since we first got together back in 2005, so it has a kind of romantic attachment. To be honest, it's a bit scruffy and the food isn't top notch, but I like it because it has great views of the river and if you get there early it's very quiet. Last night it was deserted in fact.

• Apparently Google Maps does a bit of translating. Here’s where it tells me you went to dinner:

(It lets me paste the screenshot, but then it disappears after saving. What am I doing wrong?)

• Apparently Google Maps does a bit of translating. Here’s where it tells me you went to dinner:

(It lets me paste the screenshot, but then it disappears after saving. What am I doing wrong?)

Google Maps took me to Colombia. I was impressed that Splinter whisked Mrs. Splinter off to the north for an exotic dinner.

OK, so where IS this restaurant? You had me hooked with "great views of the river" and "scruffy."

• I’m guessing you went to a restaurant called Mirador? If so, our Google friends are probably trying to be commercially helpful by finding the nearest restaurant of that name to the person who opens the map.

Of course the fact that we didn’t want that to happen is irrelevant. Google answers to a higher power (paid ads).

• EJLarson — this is this restaurant that’s at the end of a dock (or dock-like platform) on the river, the restaurant that you pass every time you take the Costanera to Aeroparque, you pass it on that road just minutes before arriving at AEP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• It's in the old Olivos port where there's a marina, other restaurants and food trucks on the weekend. In fact as I've already said, we've been going there for years and there was a time when we'd regularly eat there on a Friday lunchtime. You need to look for it and it's nowhere near Costanera; it's just off Libertador not far from the Quinta in Olivos.

Yes it's scruffy but it does have tables overlooking the river and there's a fishing pier, the same old trapero bloke who looks after your car without menaces and if you want a table on a weekend lunchtime, be prepared to wait.

When we go in the evening I like to go early around 8 pm or earlier, when most Argentines aren't even planning their evening meal yet.