Coronavirus around the world

There are 1,097 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 152,447 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Official Post

No matter the actual figures, which I take with a pinch of salt anyway, the fact is that flu has a vaccine, has always been with us and always will be.

COVID 19 was and still is a relative unknown with no current or proven vaccine, so a belt and braces reaction was always on the cards. I don't like quarantine any more than anyone else, but I do feel that it's helped reduce the spread and in our household we are still taking active precautions.

This is not just another flu epidemic.

• Good point. If you know someone who has had it, your perception definitely changes.

The US has just topped 6 million cases, a number I can’t actually wrap my mind around. But now that I know people who have had it and described their experiences, I can’t fall for the “just a little flu” line.

• Official Post

Unfortunately, we're all basing our judgment on our direct knowledge or perception, and this overrides any ration thought we may have on the subject.

But running a red light with no consequences doesn't make it any less dangerous, nor I would encourage people to run red lights because a friend of mine did it once and he's still here to tell!

• It's all very well giving your view of the figures, hairy, but it would help if you were clearer from what angle you're coming from. For example, why do you believe figures are manipulated, why do you believe we are being locked-in and what is the ultimate goal, in your opinion?

Figures have been massively manipulated by the governments own admission.

In the past if someone had stage 4 cancer and was in hospital then contracted influenza and died..the death was put down as cancer...roll forward same scenario and its put down as covid . Social media is fullof irate families whose loved ones have had covid as cause of death when they were at deaths door with one or more co morbidity.

Then the government admitted live on tv that ALL hospital deaths wether tested or not wete going down as covid..

The 4 major killers over last 3 or 4 months are way way down on normal monthly averages as everything put down to covid.

If this was so serious we would need to do that.

You have american hospitals being paid money to put deaths down as covid .

Then you have the WHO dismissing medicines that work...new independent studies( not gates funded) have proven cuts death rate by a 1/3rd..thats huge..etc etc etc

And my father had this...he is in a care home. Has full blown dementia and parkinsons. Lost 6 kg .But still beat it...

So yes it can be bad for a tiny minority of the public....but the media over reaction is to blame for all the hysteria..

Be honest....If the media did not tell us we were in the midst of a pandemic...would you even realize..

My dad apart i know not one single person affected by this..as do any friends or colleagues... and anyone that i have heard of dying had one or more co morbidity

Good point. If you know someone who has had it, your perception definitely changes.

The US has just topped 6 million cases, a number I can’t actually wrap my mind around. But now that I know people who have had it and described their experiences, I can’t fall for the “just a little flu” line.

Only a tiny percentage are affected any more than a sniffle or cough if that...

Just like pneumonia from influenza is horrid so is getting covid to the wrong person..But to shut down the economy for this...utter nonsense.

• I do think what has happened to cancer screenings has been scandalous. In the UK, the fight against cancer was put on the back burner and it is costing people dearly. I presume it was the same in most other countries.

It’s been such a strange time. I know nurses who say this has been as bad as anything they have seen then I know others from other hospitals who say they have been quiet for months and basically twiddling their thumbs. That says to me the situation was mismanaged.

• It doesn't surprise me to be honest. I think the problem is the longer it goes on people will become more sceptical about the whole thing. Unless you know someone who has had it of course.

Had a good friend whom just recently died from covid-19, or at least from complications arising from covid-19, it wasn't pretty.

Only a tiny percentage are affected any more than a sniffle or cough if that...

Why do we not just throw caution into the wind, and let the world population, wait for herd immunity, and set back and see how many will die. It may well play

out that way, and the survival of the fittest will prevail.

Edited once, last by daniel: Merged a post created by daniel into this post. ().

• Had a good friend whom just recently died from covid-19, or at least from complications arising from covid-19, it wasn't pretty.

Why do we not just throw caution into the wind, and let the world population, wait for herd immunity, and set back and see how many will die. It may well play

out that way, and the survival of the fittest will prevail.

Its what we do with every other virus .And if you look at who this virus is killing its exactly what it is doing without any interference from us.Why are we not all wearing masks for TB or Self quarantining coming back from Africa....Killed 1.5 million last year....way way more than any coronavirus ever has.

• Well, like cancer in the UK, TB in Africa is another scandal of this pandemic. TB kills 1.2 million each year, most of them HIV infected people in Africa, it is in the top 10 global killers. TB treatments in African countries that have been hit worst by COVID are way down, meaning more than 1.2 million could die this year. Literally, hospitals in sub-Saharan Africa are ignoring TB treatments to combat COVID... more will die from TB this year.

And yeah, I get that COVID can kill people with TB too, but the ignorance of some other diseases has been shocking.

Btw, I am by no means on the same page as those who say COVID is a lie or not that bad. It is, but I just don't accept that people with other serious illnesses should be ignored. Also, I don't yet see evidence that COVID overwhelemed health services. It certainly overwhelemed some hospitals, but whole nationwide health services? I am not doubting, I just want to see what it looks like if we pick 10 hospitals in any country and see how overwhelmed or not they are. Even back in Italy in April, we were seeing the same 2-3 hospitals, admittedly looking like a warzone, but there are more than 2-3 hospitals in Italy.

• As London’s tube stops famously caution, “Mind the Gap!”

This morning’s NYT newsletter contains a disquieting challenge for Americans, which makes me wonder about Argentina’s relationship between percent of the world’s population and percent of the world’s covid-19 deaths.

Here’s a jarring thought experiment: If the United States had done merely an average job of fighting the coronavirus — if the U.S. accounted for the same share of virus deaths as it did global population — how many fewer Americans would have died?

The answer: about 145,000.

That’s a large majority of the country’s 183,000 confirmed coronavirus-related deaths.

No other country looks as bad by this measure. The U.S. accounts for 4 percent of the world’s population, and for 22 percent of confirmed Covid-19 deaths.

• Here is an interesting take on the true numbers in usa actually dying from Covid .

Its a short watch but hopefully you find it interesting.

Cannot fault the protests over covid lockdown and control. The only other thing left is to let covid run it's natural course and to

live life as normal as one can. As for the one's who are trying not to get covid, that may very well be a matter of when not if.

• Cannot fault the protests over covid lockdown and control. The only other thing left is to let covid run it's natural course and to

live life as normal as one can. As for the one's who are trying not to get covid, that may very well be a matter of when not if.

I am actually going to the protest in Edinburgh on saturday. The government here are trying to get a 2 year extension to there draconian laws they introduced.

The virus over here now has changed...France and Spain and even UK numbers are going up again esp france and spain almost to the levels reported in march and april but it has stopped killing people. Its actually staggering if you look at the figures the difference in numbers with covid and death rate. There are two trains of thought...Either the virus has become much weaker or as many younger people are testing positive that it has killed those that have been most at risk as before the only people tested were those in hospital or care homes. Obviously they have increased testing massively so it makes you wonder just how many have had this already at its height back in april.

as for whats happening in Argentina it appears all these early quarantine and other measures put in place early has not made any difference unfortunately apart from extending the length of time it is taking to flatten the curve.

• Cannot fault the protests over covid lockdown and control. The only other thing left is to let covid run it's natural course and to

I agree with this. The virus is here to stay and I don't think even a vaccine will help much. We're all (most) going to get it. However, surely the later one gets it the better considering there is more time for treatments to improve, testing methods to gather pace, and maybe even the potency of the virus to decrease. I too don't fault genuine protests that question the ongoing lockdown and control measures, in fact I would have supported such protests even at the start of the outbreak. That said, I don't support protests that are suggesting the whole COVID mess is a complete lie, a fabrication of governments, generated by 5G, a New World Order virus, or any of that other whacky shite.

• I agree with this. The virus is here to stay and I don't think even a vaccine will help much. We're all (most) going to get it. However, surely the later one gets it the better considering there is more time for treatments to improve, testing methods to gather pace, and maybe even the potency of the virus to decrease. I too don't fault genuine protests that question the ongoing lockdown and control measures, in fact I would have supported such protests even at the start of the outbreak. That said, I don't support protests that are suggesting the whole COVID mess is a complete lie, a fabrication of governments, generated by 5G, a New World Order virus, or any of that other whacky shite.

The potency of the virus appears to have already diminished in Europe looking at death rates versus cases. Personally i think there is an agenda at play regarding vaccination.

Here is official data putting the death rate at around 0.3%

This Dr John Campbell is excellent and all fact and data based.

An excellent watch for anyone that is interested.