World Cup 2022 Qatar

There are 114 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,762 times. The latest Post () was by Splinter.

• That was nerve wracking to say the least.

Just when we thought 2-0 would be the final result, Holland score with a beautiful header ten minutes before full time and then an equaliser in the 11th minute (of ten) of added time, which was a terrible mistake by Argentina in that free kick by Holland.

I actually felt the air being sucked from the room in that moment and couldn't bring myself to watch extra time, so went outside for some fresh air which wasn't fresh at all with 40c stifling heat. As I was walking around and picking up litter as a distraction, I was hoping to hear a roar from neighbouring houses in the deathly silent street. But it didn't happen.

In the end, I joined the lad's girlfriend in the kitchen and cracked open the beers, leaving Adri and her son to suffer the second half of extra time and the inevitable penalty shoot-out that we all knew was coming.

Try as we might, it was hard to ignore the agonising wailing from the living room, so it was only when we heard "Dibu! Dibu! Sos un genio!" that we knew Argentina were through.

Later, Adri and I even watched the post-match autopsy on TyC and all was well in the world.

• Yesterday it was wild! Many Avenidas were cut off because they supporter swarmed into the streets and stopped the traffic. It was a long ride home for me from Olivos to Palermo using public transport.

I even dreamt of the afternoon! So many emotions (and fernet). I can't wait for Sunday.

I had two desires when I came here: one was to meet Maradona, and the other to see the Selección win the World Cup,

• Hello everybody,

Cripes!!

I could be in a quandary here...

If it is victory celebrations in Paris, it will be in minus celcius..

Whereas in Buenos Aires.....

I have 2 lunchtime Skype classes today in Misiones , so I guess the reading topics will be easy..

Celebrations on the Champs-Élysées as France fans hail ‘magnificent game’
    Excitement builds for final against Argentina as spectators, some draped in French and Moroccan flags, praised play of both teams
    www.theguardian.com

I have a couple of bottles of good ale for the match...

Cordialement,

• With the attention-getting headline “What’s Powering Argentina at the World Cup? 1,100 pounds of Yerba Mate,” the New York Times this week reported the astounding amounts of mate taken to Qatar for the World Cup.  Brazil packed in 26 pounds, while Uruguay brought 530 pounds.  

Did Argentina bring so much more not just because Argentines drink more mate, but  because the team is so good they were confident of being in until the end?

• With the attention-getting headline “What’s Powering Argentina at the World Cup? 1,100 pounds of Yerba Mate,” the New York Times this week reported the astounding amounts of mate taken to Qatar for the World Cup. Brazil packed in 26 pounds, while Uruguay brought 530 pounds.

Did Argentina bring so much more not just because Argentines drink more mate, but because the team is so good they were confident of being in until the end?

Their confidence is obviously a good sign then.

Who's watching the nerve grinding final on Sunday?

I'm tempted to jump on my bike again, as I did for the Mexico match, just to roam around the city and suburbs to soak up the atmosphere.

• Where do I start?

Argentina started disastrously, but somehow have managed to reach the final on Sunday and in retrospect, not by the skin of their teeth, but by sheer talent and, dare I say it, passion.

Living in Argentina has completely changed my idea of 'the passion' and I now embrace it with everything I have, because it's utterly contagious and beyond description.

When Argentina played against Mexico, I left my wife with her son and his girlfriend to watch the match at home, hopped on my bike and rode into town, knowing that the entire country will have ground to a halt. And it did.

I passed by tiny cafeterias, with men and women, many wearing Messi's #10 shirt, all glued to the tiny screen, with police officers, their bikes parked, gawping at the TV, willing the team to score a goal.

At 64 minutes played, I just happened to arrive at a huge plaza next to the American Embassy, felt a roar of expectation, started filming and Messi scored the first goal.

I saw the crowd rise, their roars of delight, the dust rising under their feet in front of the giant screens, with fans hugging each other in ecstasy.

It's not just a game in Argentina and woe betide you if you suggest such an outrage. It's an escape; a relief from the torture of double-talk and bullshit. And believe me, Argentines know a lot about that, having had their lives destroyed time after time and this is their way of dealing with the crap that is piled upon them, and boy, do they do it in style!

My wife is Argentine, but she is also compassionate, and supported me with England and Wales, so when they departed, I had no other choice. Well, as if I wanted any other team to win anyway.

Football has a huge uniting effect in any country you could mention and all partisan barriers fall to the ground, because they are seen as the imposters they really are, between the black and white of a football score, whether you like it or not.

Anyway, fellow sufferers, I won't bore you any longer. Suffice to say that the moment has arrived and Sunday will be a day that I, for one, will never forget.

I won't be watching at home, because I need to feel the country, the city, the people, the cafeterias in a unique two hours, which could make history for Argentina, when it needs it the most.

So, while the rest of Argentina is praying for glory and willing Messi to deliver, which I know he will, I will be absorbing, on my motorcycle, by osmosis, a day that will never be forgotten.

I count myself lucky.

• Obelisk live webcam.

Whatever the result, it's going to be packed in the city, so I'll have to avoid that area and will probably loop around Plaza Seeber next to the US Embassy and then back to the suburbs and small cafes.

【LIVE】 Webcam Argentina - Obelisk - Buenos Aires | SkylineWebcams
    Watch live images from Plaza de la República now with our live cam in Buenos Aires on the Obelisk! Enjoy this stunning view of Argentina's capital city!
    www.skylinewebcams.com

• Hello everybody,

From Buenos Aires

‘Like paradise’: Argentina erupts in celebration of World Cup win
    Streets of central Buenos Aires are a cacophony of yelling and horns after shootout victory against France
    www.theguardian.com

From Paris

‘You can’t begrudge Messi’: Parisians react as France lose World Cup final
    Patrons of French capital’s bars go through gamut of emotions as Argentina eventually win out on penalties
    www.theguardian.com

Cordialement,