Currently watching on Netflix

There are 425 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 88,176 times. The latest Post () was by aficionado.

• I have just seen "World War I", which is about the enthusiasm of the British and German soldiers in August 1914. It shows the horrible results of the war inside the trenches, in northern France.

It seems that the erred strategies of both sides did not count the casualties. To gain 300 m of land, they loose 5.000 soldiers each day.

But also shows the intimacy of the soldiers of both sides. I was moved by the last scene, when a British soldier, mortally wounded, gives his hand to the German foe, who also is going to die.

Exactly at the time when the diplomats of both countries are shaking hands in a Palace of Paris, signing the armistice.

• Not on Netflix, but watched "Churchill- The Untold Story of D-Day" with Brian Cox and Miranda Richardson. A moving reminder that honor and statesmanship were qualities once valued in leaders, who could be looked up to and trusted.

• Yesterday I saw "Martin Luther", a brief story of the founder of the religious reformation. Many interviewers were called to speak about him, (Inlcuded Cardinal Dolan of Nwe York). The film was well balanced, especially in this sensitive matter.

• Official Post

I'll check that out for sure.

We're watching The Affair which is extremely well written and directed, starring Dominic West and Ruth Wilson. I was amazed to discover that they are both British, such was the realism of their American accents, surrounded by an all American cast set in the lovely Montauk, NY.

I am also taken by the chemistry between the two on-screen lovers which jumps off the screen and draws you in. It's steamy sure, but never to the point of 'too much' as the direction is just right.

It's also full of family and human conflicts of all kinds which keeps you guessing, then rooting for the two lovers and hoping that they can make it, yet knowing they probably won't.

Also I've just discovered that it runs for 4 seasons and is still running, so that's us sorted then.

• Official Post

Elena Undone is a beautifully made film about two women who fall in love. One is a lesbian, Peyton and the other, Elena, is straight, a mother and married to a pastor who ironically preaches against lesbianism and the ordination of women priests. Peyton desperately wants a child and it's interesting how the story eventually ends.

Stylishly shot, with one of the longest single take seduction scenes ever filmed, without the gratuitous nudity that we've now become accustomed to, but enough for one to get one's bearings, so to speak.

The only annoying factor for me was the intermittent narration and cut-scenes with the love guru, spouting "Love will conquer all..." etc, which is a little too schmaltzy for my taste.

• This is on Showtime and also on Netflix? Or just Showtime?

• Wild Wild Country

(2018)

Overview

When a controversial cult leader builds a utopian city in the Oregon desert, conflict with the locals escalates into a national scandal. Read more

Genres

• Documentary
    Trailer
    • Official Post

Wild Wild Country, a six part documentary following the quite remarkable goings on in Oregon from 1981. Using original footage from news stations and private collections and interviews from then and now, the entire saga of the Rajneesh cult invasion of Antelope, Oregon is told and spares no details.

I have a vague recollection of Bhagwan and his followers, yet this documentary jolts you awake, is an education and makes you ask yourself important questions about tolerance, bigotry and hypocrisy.

Being only half way through so far, I'm resisting the temptation to read up more on the Rajneesh for the moment, but I can't see there being a peaceful and loving end to the conflict between the local residents and the people dressed in red.

To be honest, I'm gripped by this.

• Wild Wild Country, a six part documentary following the quite remarkable goings on in Oregon from 1981. Using original footage from news stations and private collections and interviews from then and now, the entire saga of the Rajneesh cult invasion of Antelope, Oregon is told and spares no details.

I have a vague recollection of Bhagwan and his followers, yet this documentary jolts you awake, is an education and makes you ask yourself important questions about tolerance, bigotry and hypocrisy.

Being only half way through so far, I'm resisting the temptation to read up more on the Rajneesh for the moment, but I can't see there being a peaceful and loving end to the conflict between the local residents and the people dressed in red.

To be honest, I'm gripped by this.

Eager to hear your opinion after seeing the whole thing -

• Doctor Foster

(2015)

Overview

A woman suspects her husband of having an affair. After following several lines of enquiries far more unravels including a streak of violence below the surface. Read more

Genres

• Drama
    Trailer
    • Official Post

Dr Foster

(but she didn't go to Gloucester)

If anyone has ever been to war with an ex wife or husband you'll be able to relate to this. Maybe not to the same extreme as this show, where we sense this is not going to end well at all.

An excellent series from BBC where you can really feel the brimstone flowing between the good Doctor and her ex, and everyone else gets caught up the skirmishes.

Wife finds blonde hair on husband's jacket...you know the rest.

• Dr Foster

(but she didn't go to Gloucester)

If anyone has ever been to war with an ex wife or husband you'll be able to relate to this. Maybe not to the same extreme as this show, where we sense this is not going to end well at all.

An excellent series from BBC where you can really feel the brimstone flowing between the good Doctor and her ex, and everyone else gets caught up the skirmishes.

Wife finds blonde hair on husband's jacket...you know the rest.

Thank you. We've almost exhausted our favorites (and found a new one: Unforgotten). We'll ask Dr Foster to make a house call soon.

Edit: saw the first episode and weren’t terribly impressed. Seemed like another angst-filled woman successful in her career with a disintegrating private life ... yawn.

Then, in the last five or so minutes ... wow! We’ll watch the second episode tonight.

“Unforgotten” is currently being aired, so we have to wait for new weekly episodes - and it’s worth it.

• The Terror

(2018)

Overview

A chilling anthology series featuring stories of people in terrifying situations inspired by true historical events. Read more

Genres

• Mystery
    • Drama
    Trailer
    • Official Post

The Terror on Cablevision Flow, now that I've finally got it working properly.

This is the tale of HMS Terror and HMS Erebus, whose captain ignores all the advice given to him in his quest to navigate the Northwest Passage and finally into the Pacific.

Based on the true story of the two vessels becoming locked in the ice, this tells the tale (with license) of what may have happened, since none of the crew were ever found.

I certainly hope that it doesn't creep into Sc-Fi or Stephen King territory as that would be simply preposterous.

• Last Tango in Halifax

(2012)

Overview

Celia and Alan are both widowed and in their seventies. When their respective grandsons put their details on Facebook, they rediscover a passionate relationship that started over sixty years ago. Read more

Genres

• Drama
    • Official Post

Having finished Unforgotten, we're now watching Last Tango In Halifax, which is set in Yorkshire, England.

It could be described as a black comedy and stars Nicola Walker, Derek Jacobi and Sarah Lancashire.

The premise is Alan and Celia meet for the first time in 60 years and rekindle the fire they had as teenagers, with the effects bringing their families together in a variety of comedic and touching ways.

I know Yorkshire very well and to say that Yorkshire folk call a spade a spade, is an understatement. Definitely worth a watch, but it's NOT on Netflix yet.

• We loved Last Tango in Halifax so much that we are watching it again right now. Even better the second time, now that we can completely engage. (The first time, it was each Sunday night's BBC refuge from the previous week of digging out our flooded house, so we were at once transported away yet preoccupied with our own reality.)

We just finished watching Season 1 of Marcella, with Anna Friel playing a police detective investigating the gruesome work of a serial killer. Although there's a psychological component of her character that so far remains unsatisfyingly unexplained, this contemporary series is absolutely excellent. Season 2 hasn't yet been released, but we are definitely waiting for it.