How important is post count to you?

There are 39 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Splinter.

• I remain opposed to the “like” button, because it’s so easy to just click that instead of posting a reply. Replies further the discussion; “Likes” do not.

I’ve never understood how the points system (and what’s a Trophy?) or the rather bizarre tag lines (Gone Native, Veteran, High Flyer, etc.) add anything to the forum.

If those go, let’s get rid of the post count too?

The points system, trophies, taglines and like system are a default component of the forum software.

However, we are able to customise everything, so the trophies and points system have been removed from view, but the tagline and post count remain.

Everything is removable, along with the join date under the avatar, or perhaps you'd like to do away with avatars too?

• Personally, I like the ‘date joined’ info, as it gives some clue about how invested in the forum the member is.

Unless the pony ride guy and Mateo pick up on their membership again..... then they would have years on the forum!

One question: could it be el Tigre de Tigre from the other site is our Mateo????

I think there should be a box by each participant, political conviction.....

Hahaha....that would save some time.....

Or maybe 10 questions.......

tattoos yes/no

guns yes/no

alcohol yes/no

Caucasian/Asian/African/scotlandian/

Last voting xxx or yyy or nothing

Che or something else

Pipe lover yes/no

Etc etc etc

• True, but there certainly are regular members who belong to other forums and FB groups, so we aren’t their singular focus and they may go days without posting. But they do return.

I’m not wildly advocating removing the post count; I’d be OK if it went. Or not. Either way. But the other things? I really don’t like them.

• Today, a friend expat reported being banned again from the other forum. His ideas are definitely more alike to Bajo's than to yours. Nonetheless, he managed to get in trouble. As usual, no explanation is given. He simply tried to log in today and there was no way to access his account.

I don't like banning, but people on the other forum tend to be very confrontational and things escalate very often. It stops being entertaining pretty quickly. If I want to hear people yelling at each other, I simply tune on TN.

I'd like to keep this forum a place where everybody feels comfortable in sharing their opinion and experience, and if we don't agree, I won't keep barking at the wrong tree.

The truth is that we've only ever banned one person here, namely Josefina aka Joe who was banned ( I think) from the other place also.

This ban was way back in 2015 or 2016 when he attacked almost everyone on the forum. He was given multiple warnings which he ignored, so in the end we were faced with little choice.

At the other place you don't even get a warning and their criteria are, mentioning social media or disagreeing with the views of admin's little poodle favourites. Write the word Facebook in a post and you get banned, for example.

I like to think that we are nowhere near that level of Soviet style moderation here and as far as I'm concerned post count and join dates are useful markers.

• Fine with me to keep post count and join date. But could we get rid of the meaningless arbitrary monikers (veteran, gone walkabout, frequent flyer, underwhelmer) and points/trophies.

BTW, what ARE trophies?

And you know how I feel about the “like” button.

• Fine with me to keep post count and join date. But could we get rid of the meaningless arbitrary monikers (veteran, gone walkabout, frequent flyer, underwhelmer) and points/trophies.

BTW, what ARE trophies?

And you know how I feel about the “like” button.

I think a vote would be more appropriate. After all, this isn't a dictatorship...;)

• I thought that was the point of this thread - you asked our opinions? Sorry, I must have misunderstood, and whatever you decide to do is fine with me.

• ... undoubtedly not as sick to death as those of us who daily have to endure his ramblings!

But as the one who has been responsible for well more than half of these, I take your point, and will make a superhuman effort not to mention his bloody name on threads not dedicated to his reality show or international topics, which surely are fair platforms for such discussions?