How important is post count to you?

There are 39 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Splinter.

• Do you like to see post counts displayed? 5

1. Yes (2) 40%
    2. No (0) 0%
    3. I really don't care either way (3) 60%

Post count and reputation in a forum indicates a level of involvement and helps others identify that. In some places the post count is sacrosanct and jealously guarded like medals on the chest.

On the other hand, many people couldn't give a monkey's about post counts, so how do you feel?

• I don’t care, but I wonder if eliminating the count could encourage new members to post, as they wouldn’t feel intimidated about their lack of seniority?

• Helpful

I think that the post count gives a fair idea of the 'reliability' and 'activity' of a user on the forum.

• I think that the post count gives a fair idea of the 'reliability' and 'activity' of a user on the forum.

I don't see it that way at all serafina. More a sign of someone with too much time on their hands. ^^

I have a high post count on another forum. Most of it is just me posting bullshit.

• All you guys know that UK Man is quite laid back and relaxed.

On another forum he is constantly suspended and banned for holding opinions that are slightly different from the guys who run the site.

I actually think the only reason for many guys to look at the site is to see what our friend UK Man is saying.

• On another forum he is constantly suspended and banned for holding opinions that are slightly different from the guys who run the site.

Some of the members of that forum need to come and live here for a while. They'd soon man up. ^^

• just read this thread the first time......

I know Splinter said several had been banned from the other site......

It's quite funny, since I wonder with what argument......I think it's quite clear that I don't share the political views as a few from here, but I also got banned, or say blocked from responding, (and my posts where harmless, trust me).

What is the other sites angle then? I have hard to look through it, since you have quite different users, and f.ex. a hardcore Peronist like bajo have been trolling for years. Also few others keep trolling in the same style.

And the funny part, why I was banned or blocked was for an anti American post regarding school shooting with the joker.....so not really a right wing pro capitalism, NRA post. And again, no offensive one, just questioning the shooting.

My last post was maybe 2004 or 5, no idea.

• I remain opposed to the “like” button, because it’s so easy to just click that instead of posting a reply. Replies further the discussion; “Likes” do not.

I’ve never understood how the points system (and what’s a Trophy?) or the rather bizarre tag lines (Gone Native, Veteran, High Flyer, etc.) add anything to the forum.

If those go, let’s get rid of the post count too?

• Today, a friend expat reported being banned again from the other forum. His ideas are definitely more alike to Bajo's than to yours. Nonetheless, he managed to get in trouble. As usual, no explanation is given. He simply tried to log in today and there was no way to access his account.

I don't like banning, but people on the other forum tend to be very confrontational and things escalate very often. It stops being entertaining pretty quickly. If I want to hear people yelling at each other, I simply tune on TN.

I'd like to keep this forum a place where everybody feels comfortable in sharing their opinion and experience, and if we don't agree, I won't keep barking at the wrong tree.