Falklands/Malvinas propaganda

There are 58 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,440 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• The Argentine foreign office is most upset with the British Embassy for the competition it's running for a student to visit the islands, spouting the same old 1833 and illegal colonisation bullshit.

Am I naïve in thinking that exposing Falkland Islanders to visitors would be mutually beneficial?

• I would love to visit the Islands to see what's all the fuss about. I have been unable to find out how it is possible to reach the Islands at this time. In the past, there were connections from Chile, but it seems the commercial flights were suspended during the pandemic. When I try to search for flights to Port Stanley from Santiago, I can't find any.

And I bet it is as expensive as going to the UK, so for that much money, I'd rather go East than South!

Hopefully a direct service will return soon as the silly arses vacate Casa Rosada. I very much doubt it though given the mentality most politicians here have. :rolleyes:

• Am I naïve in thinking that exposing Falkland Islanders to visitors would be mutually beneficial?

Nope. And I also think that if Argentina were nicer to the Kelpers (stopped calling them Kelpers, for a start) the "soft power" of welcoming them to the mainland and making the benefits[1] of Argentina easily available to residents of the Falklands etc etc etc, that would go a huge way towards encouraging the Falklanders to actually want to have closer associations with the mainland.

AIUI in the past when an air link between Port Stanley and the mainland was started up, it pretty soon foundered because it was run by the Argentine military and the Falklanders didn't enjoy having a lot of people in Argentine service dress running around their airport. Now if today they were to set up a link and let it be operated by FlyBondi or Jetsmart[2] that would be totally non-confrontational, wouldn't it?

[1]And there are benefits. We all know that.

[2]Fat chance of that happening though

I would love to visit the Islands to see what's all the fuss about. I have been unable to find out how it is possible to reach the Islands at this time. In the past, there were connections from Chile, but it seems the commercial flights were suspended during the pandemic. When I try to search for flights to Port Stanley from Santiago, I can't find any.

And I bet it is as expensive as going to the UK, so for that much money, I'd rather go East than South!

Try looking for Punta Arenas to Mount Pleasant (PUQ-MPN) Google seems to think that there is still one flight per week.

• I didn’t know that Falkland Islanders weren’t eligible for Argentine workers’ benefits, bebopalula .

To be honest, I didn't know that they are eligible for workers' benefits. Are they?

Anyway, I was thinking of the benefits of everyday living in Argentina that we sometimes forget about when we are grumbling about so much else. Just imagine, a low-cost flight into Buenos Aires for a spot of shopping; a fairly-reasonably-priced air connection to just about anywhere else in the world; shops, the arts, the culture and to top it all, warm, friendly people (they are not all politicians, after all). Etc. Etc. I reckon that having all that freely available on your doorstep, the two societies might naturally draw more closely together within a couple of generations.

• To be honest, I didn't know that they are eligible for workers' benefits. Are they?

Anyway, I was thinking of the benefits of everyday living in Argentina that we sometimes forget about when we are grumbling about so much else. Just imagine, a low-cost flight into Buenos Aires for a spot of shopping; a fairly-reasonably-priced air connection to just about anywhere else in the world; shops, the arts, the culture and to top it all, warm, friendly people (they are not all politicians, after all). Etc. Etc. I reckon that having all that freely available on your doorstep, the two societies might naturally draw more closely together within a couple of generations.

I agree that most Argentines are kind and very warm people and I daresay that most Argentine visitors to the islands are welcomed warmly.

It's simply a political football that Peronists love to kick about, forgetting that the UK left the field of play 40 years ago, declaring game over.

• To be honest, I didn't know that they are eligible for workers' benefits. Are they?

I like the Bebop Peace Plan. You are so right: time and more contact would inevitably lead to friendships and other relationships. Even marriages and shared grandchildren.

• Very good words of the British visitor to the Museum. A thing that few people remark, is that the Argentine Air Force, as an independent from the Army, was created in 1946, and guess who was the main provider of material? Britain, of course.

Some of the planes purchased were Gloster Meteor, Avro Lincoln, Avro York, Avro Lancaster, Bristol, De Havilland Dove, all brand new or almost brand new. Some neighboirng countries like Brazil were complaining that due to this equipment, Argentina had the most powerful Air Force of Latin America. Even the uniforms of the Air Force were copied from the RAF.

Regarding the relationships with the islanders, in the long term, a close relationship will build confidence and welfare for all.

• Very good words of the British visitor to the Museum. A thing that few people remark, is that the Argentine Air Force, as an independent from the Army, was created in 1946, and guess who was the main provider of material? Britain, of course.

Some of the planes purchased were Gloster Meteor, Avro Lincoln, Avro York, Avro Lancaster, Bristol, De Havilland Dove, all brand new or almost brand new. Some neighboirng countries like Brazil were complaining that due to this equipment, Argentina had the most powerful Air Force of Latin America. Even the uniforms of the Air Force were copied from the RAF.

Regarding the relationships with the islanders, in the long term, a close relationship will build confidence and welfare for all.

Great words Carlos.

As a Brit I've never met an Argentine who hasn't treated me with anything but generosity and kindness. That's all that matters to me :thumbup: .

• Great words Carlos.

As a Brit I've never met an Argentine who hasn't treated me with anything but generosity and kindness. That's all that matters to me :thumbup: .

Here never was an strong animosity against the UK, only a few group of stubborn nationalists which fueled the nonsensical decision of the military of those times.

To be sure that there is animosity you must do a referendum, and this was never done.

I am glad that you never received a proof of hate from us. This, I hope, will never happen. Be at peace, you are welcomed here.

• Pau is a clever politician.

He knows that if he is friendly with the Falklands the UK Government will treat him well.

And at the same time, the Argentine government will insult him, making him look good with his Uruguayan friends.

He doesn't need anything from Argentina at the moment.

• Exactly. Uruguayans must look across the river with a certain amount of schadenfreude.

• They are doing very good on their own. Argentina should stop blaming their neighbour and do some serious self-analysis.

They always put the blame on capitalistic countries but then they need the IMF money and are eager to travel to the US, use iPhones, and like US dollars as much as anybody else in Argentina, go on vacation in Uruguay, shop in Miami etc.

• All my Uruguayan friends have spent some vacation time in Argentina this summer. Many just sightseeing but many more buy food and wine. at what are bargain prices for them.

They are happy with Alberto cos he has made loads of stuff really cheap for them.

Apparently some Uruguayan financial wizard invented a debit card in dollars that automatically changes at the blue rate.