Appalling scenes of violence as the Boca team bus is attacked by River fans.

There are 20 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by UK Man.

• Football hooligans threw rocks at the Boca Juniors team bus as it arrived at the Monumental stadium for today's huge Copa Libertadores final.

Apparently many of the players were injured, with one now taken to hospital under police protection. The match will now probably be cancelled, although Conmebol has now stated that that the game will be delayed till 1800, in spite of the fact that most of the Boca players were injured in the attacks.

Unbelievably shameful behaviour from these hooligans who, as usual ruin things for everyone else.

• There can't be a policeman for each citizen. The people must learn to behave. Unfortunately, in Argentina there is no such civic sense.

There is a political march > violence, destruction, vandalism.

There is a social march > violence, destruction, vandalism.

There is a football match > violence, destruction, vandalism.

If the police does something, they scream repression and dictatorship.

If the police does nothing, they scream there is no police.

A los Argentinos no le queda bien nada.

• I'm glad.

Feel sorry for all the decent fans who have lost out, especially financially. However I think it was the only decision they could make.

The football clubs need to sort this out as they know who's behind it all.

• Absolutely! They must be held accountable. If the football team had to pay for the security of the match, I am sure there would be less of them needed.

Also, this has been costing a lot of money to the government, and I think it is wasted money.

• Splinter

Changed the title of the thread from “Appalling scenes of violence as the Boca team bus is attacked at River.” to “Appalling scenes of violence as the Boca team bus is attacked by River fans.”.
  • Tim Vickery the BBC Latin America football correspondent was spot on when he said last night it's all down to corruption in this country.

Argentina is still years behind....and not only when it comes to football hooliganism.

• This obnoxious episode is not casual. From at least 35 years ago many politicians and sociologists support the idea that those who destroy buses, menace people and act as barbarians are a legitimate protest to the current establishment or "order of things". What we call "garantismo" is a well teach theory among some schools of law, sustaining the idea that barbarian attitudes must not be punished, as they are legitimate. This explains that the 30 or 40 detained persons have been released in hours.

As an argentinean, Shame to us! . We deserves all this mess.

• Macri was, quite rightly pissed off and like many of us, doesn't understand why the 23 arrested people were later released.

Does he understand football hooligans? They should use the intelligence services when a match is due, as they have done in the UK, by simply plucking them out of the crowd.

• What do you think the solution to this is Carlos?

I think the real problems in this country lie much deeper than just a few so called 'football fans' smashing up a bus.

I agree that the real problem in this country lies much deeper, of course. But the first thing that I would suggest that, despite all fear of reactions, we must punish the barbarians. In this country, since the last dictatorship (1976-1983), the police and the Army has been degraded and considered the only evil that we have. And therefore, the respect for the Law has been neglected.

I would say, sadly, that democracy had not provided the country of the values that we had before Peron's era. A proof of this is the one sided punishment to the military which has made the repression, but the other ones, the guerrilla warfare leaders, are now free and also were well paid with indemnities. Perhaps you do not know that those people, during a Constitutional government (1973-1976) had attacked several military insititutions, killing many civilians as well, and nobody thought the they also deserved punishment. This is a fact that I know because at that time I was 30 years old, and saw all the atrocities that they made on innocent people.

• When I was a student briefly living in England, football hooliganism was a big problem there. But I don’t recall any suggestions that organized crime was behind it. Here, people are saying last weekend’s events weren't simply the bad acts of individuals.

• Football hooliganism in the UK was more a reflection of the gang culture at the time . It has almost disappeared as the game has become more gentrified.

But In Argentina , the Barras Bravas are controlled by local delinquents many of them in the illegal drug wholesaling business . Many club owners are genuinely scared of them and give them free tickets to keep them "controlled". I sometimes feel that the club owners are quite happy with this situation and have no real intention of getting rid of the Barras...

• It is a cop out in one sense, yet the thugs who indulge in this kind of violence will be denied the opportunity to repeat their performance if the game is in Spain. The fans will be denied the chance to see the team in person, but perhaps paying this price could give the gangs pause next time? Or would the perpetrators and their backers have too much to lose if they are forced to give up that control?