Saving tips in Argentina

There are 57 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,761 times. The latest Post () was by aficionado.

• MLSDev offers a range of web development services, from designing the front-end of a website to developing server-side logic and setting up security protocols. Their experienced developers have expertise in creating and managing back-end infrastructure, integrating databases, and optimizing for search engines. The cost for their services will vary depending on the complexity of the project and the required skillset.

• Havana Club 7 is adecent drum - very smooth with Coke ot with ice and lemon.

Doesnt have enough wood aging to drink it neat.

7 años? The Cubans dont have the same watch as me.

Please note, the brand is now owned by the French Multinational Pernod Ricard

• Have to agree. Glad I got it cheap as it's nowhere near as enjoyable as much cheaper drams available here.

• Today I was on the hunt for toilet paper. Unlike in the past, I decided to skip our neighborhood's perfumeria and went for a bigger saving. Lost time on the Farmacity website chasing a non-existent offer on toilet paper, and quickly gave up trying to work out the best offer between Coto, Carrefour and the rest paired with card discounts and their caps.

Instead, I decided that tough times call for tough measures and shopper for a papelera (for our foreign readers, it is a place specializing in bulk sale of paper and plastic supplies, from toilet paper to disposable food boxes and cutlery, tin foil, adhesive tape etc.

I spotted a good enough offer from JB papelera: 10x packets of 4x 2-ply toilet rolls of 30 m each for 19.300 pesos, which boils down to $482.50 per roll. Can't match that price anywhere else at retail shops.

There are two shops within 2 km from our home, so it was a quick run.

• I can vouch for papeleras. I have a mate from whom I once rented a shop, I fix his PCs and he's also an electrician so we sometimes barter - he does a sparky job for me and I fix a PC problem.

It also means I get discount at his papelera shop.

He used to be a huge fan of Phil Collins and recently went to see him live, but since Phil can't drum anymore and now sits in a chair to sing, he wants his money back.

Sorry, what were you saying?

• I need to restock on A4 paper and the prices are insane. I haven’t been able to find anything for less than 7 USD per 500 sheets retail.

I am tempted to buy them bulk on ML - 10 packs for 59.700 pesos with free delivery, but I go through maybe 5 packs per year.

I am not sure I want to gamble 60 USD or just suck it and buy one, hoping price (or the dollar) will get better later this year.

Anyone wants to share?

This is the link on ML: https://www.mercadolibre.com.a…olor-blanco/p/MLA20794899

• My missus goes through A4 just as quickly as she does toilet paper. She's always printing stuff the majority of which I see as unnecessary. I tell her just to save it to a pen drive or an online storage facility instead...then she goes in the huff and tells me to mnd my own business!! ^^

Anyway, she's bought a batch before on ML and she was happy with it. However that was mainly because the options of buying it here are very limited hence the reason it's so expensive. Think the last time she bought some here was when one of the large supermarkets had it on an offer and she bought several.

I'm surprised you can't buy it somewhere in Buenos Aires discounted. In the UK the obvious places to go were the retail park chain stores that sold office or PC supplies.

• In the past, I have used a mix of a local art store and supermarkets when they had it on offer (Carrefour, Jumbo).

Right now the art store is priced $7250, Libreria Levalle $7700 buying 5 or more, Jumbo $9195, Carrefour $8990, Coto $8999 (comes down to $7200 when I have 20% off with my card).

• Today, on our failed attempt to visit natural reservers in Zona Norte, we stopped at Disco on Maipú (Vicente López) for some shopping with parking. There was an unknown brand of flour on sale for 500 pesos, so we bought 4 and I spent the afternoon/night baking bread to freeze.

The cheapest industrial bread was Fargo for about 1800 pesos, the only one I'd buy was Cuisine (a brand by Disco) which was 2200 for a loaf. The baguette by Disco, recently baked, was 1400 pesos.

With a $500 bag of flour I made 4 breads that look nothing like the recipe on the NYT but taste great, following a recipe on the NYT Cooking - Simple Crustry Bread.

This is how the recipe showcase the result:

Simple Crusty Bread

• serafina , your loaves look crusty and delicious! I’m going to try making bread by this recipe, perhaps using an iron skillet since I don’t have a baking stone.

I’m surprised that the recipe calls for adding the yeast and salt to the water at the same time, as salt impedes the activation of yeast. But I’ll try it as written.

I’m guessing this recipe could also be altered to make a good deep dish pizza crust, too.

• I’m surprised that the recipe calls for adding the yeast and salt to the water at the same time, as salt impedes the activation of yeast. But I’ll try it as written.

In fact, I didn't follow that step: I mixed lukewarm water and yeast and let it sit 5'. Then I added in the flour, mixed well, and finally added the salt. The recipe called for 1.5 teaspoon of instant yeast. I only had fresh yeast in the house, so I used 6 grams. It didn't rise much. I also don't have a baking stone anymore, so I simply used a baking pan. Unlike I did in the past, this time I kept the baking pan in the oven while heating it, and I took it out to slid on the dough, and then put it back in the oven.

Today I am trying the other NYT recipe for no-knead bread with over 11k reviews that call for a dutch oven and 20h of rising. I don't have one and my pots have plastic handles, so I will try to make it in a tajin (Arabic ceramic pot with lid). However, my tajine has a hole to let vapor our, whereas the dutch oven is required to keep the dough moist and increase rising during cooking.

I am currently in the last 2 hour of rising. I just have to do the baking (I started last afternoon, making the dough)

No-Knead Bread

This is a tajin:

Tayín - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

• I am glad we agree on the timing of adding the salt, serafina , and I’m eager to hear how your no-knead bread turns out. Our neighbor uses that same Times recipe, and he swears by it.

We have gotten into a bread making rut, making sourdough bread almost exclusively for the past 30+ years. Although I love the taste and texture of sourdough bread, I’ve been longing for an easy country-style bread. These two that you posted look like just what I (sorry!) knead.

(OK - sorry, not sorry)

• The long rise bread is a hit. Really delicious, much more than the quick recipe I made yesterday. I would recommend the quick recipe for a more compact bread to slice and freeze and use with spreads. The long rise one is very airy and soft, similar to a focaccia

Overall, both recipes are a keeper!