Mercadolibre - The Punisher

• But Mercadolibre leads the way in prices detached from reality.

It must be said that most shopkeepers here do not have the means or the willingness to move their business online. ML made a lot of sellers visible to the whole country.

However, it only a matter of time before ML became showing the same aggressive and demagoging features of Amazon.

Recently, they have introduced the automatic comparison tool amazon-style, which should drive price lower but also make for a highly competitive market.

However, given the current restrictions to imports and currency exchange, it's more akin to a mafia arrangement than to free market.

How long before we'll see Mercadolibre's basics?

• Mercadolibre is now a monopoly, but they have sharpened up their act, especially on deliveries.

However it comes at a price, with delivery prices being way out of proportion to the value or physical size of the goods being shipped, as you can see by the image I posted on the previous page.

And if you don't have or even don't want a bank account, MercadoPago is a pretty slick operation and is now accepted in thousands of outlets. Scanning a QR code contactlessly is now my favourite way to pay.

That joystick is now $15,000 up from $11,000 on Sunday.

• Mercadolibre is now a monopoly, but they have sharpened up their act, especially on deliveries.

However it comes at a price, with delivery prices being way out of proportion to the value or physical size of the goods being shipped, as you can see by the image I posted on the previous page.

Yes the shipping charges for small items are what annoys me the most about ML....they're just a nonsense. The sellers obviously know that noone in their right mind is going to pay 3x the value of the product on postal costs alone.

The latest piss take I've seen is the tobacco shop in BA who have undercut every other seller of the same products by 20% but unlike the others rip you off with huge postal charges. O've even seen one seller selling an empty tobacco tin for 1000 pesos plus 450 pesos postage. You can walk in and buy one full of tobacco for less than that in a shop. ^^

• Yes the shipping charges for small items are what annoys me the most about ML....they're just a nonsense. The sellers obviously know that noone in their right mind is going to pay 3x the value of the product on postal costs alone.

Isn't that so in the UK? When I used to sell on eBay Italy, there were items more expensive than the registered mail used to mail them. I had no way to bargain on shipping costs: what the public mail system charges, is what you oughta pay if you want to mail something.

If I shipped with non-registered mail, the recipient could always claim they had never received the item and get a full refund from ebay. It happened to me a couple of times. There are buyers in bad faith browsing eBay items with standard shipping (not tracked) to take advantage of sellers.

Back in my days, it was €4,50 for the cheapest registered mail vs. €1,50 for unregistered (but at your risk!)

• I can't see how a seller can offer free p&p on cheap items and make a profit.

In the UK they can because postal charges are very resonable as are the cost of many low value items compared to here....especially items produced in China.

We use ML quite a lot as it can be useful at times. The missus bought 5 litres of Extra Virgina Olive Oil last week which included free delivery from Mendoza through OCA. It still worked out 25% cheaper than the same brand bought in La Anonima.