Currently watching on Amazon Prime

There are 60 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,501 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan

(2018)

Overview

When CIA analyst Jack Ryan stumbles upon a suspicious series of bank transfers his search for answers pulls him from the safety of his desk job and catapults him into a deadly game of cat and mouse throughout Europe and the Middle East, with a rising terrorist figurehead preparing for a massive attack against the US and her allies. Read more

Genres

• War & Politics
    • Action & Adventure
    • Drama
    Trailer
    • Official Post

We've finished our week trial of Prime (aka Prime Video) and decided to carry on with a sub of $4.99/mo because it seems to be higher quality that Netflix in many ways.

Anyway, I've been watching Jack Ryan which is based on the Tom Clancy books, of which I've read quite a few. This time it's a young Ryan, but brought into the 21st century and it's impressive, especially in 4K.

Very taut, wonderful vistas, pretty good acting and believable terrorist plots. They've taken a few liberties with Clancy's characters, but that's what based upon usually means.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first season and am looking forward to the next. I also have some Bluetooth headphones, so I can watch without disturbing the missus if she's asleep.

• Besides Jack Ryan, what else did you like on Prime that led you to decide the content is better than Netflix’s? It’s certainly inexpensive; will you drop Netflix or keep both?

We don’t want to be glued to a screen all the time, so we’ve resisted the temptation to add any other subscriptions. Though Britbox is very tempting.

• Official Post

The Man In The High Castle is intriguing, if you can imagine the USA after a Nazi WW2 win.

...as is Goliath with Billy Bob Thornton.

Not forgetting The Grand Tour with the lads who got sacked from Top Gear.

I also like the Prime interface, that doesn't have those annoying in 'ya face trailers. It's all a bit more subtle, shall we say.

• The Good Fight

(2017)

Overview

Picking up one year after the events of the final broadcast episode of "The Good Wife", an enormous financial scam has destroyed the reputation of a young lawyer, Maia Rindell, while simultaneously wiping out her mentor and godmother Diane Lockhart's savings. Forced out of her law firm, now called "Lockhart, Deckler, Gussman, Lee, Lyman, Gilbert, Lurie, Kagan, Tannebaum & Associates", they join Lucca Quinn at one of Chicago's preeminent law firms. Read more

Genres

• Drama
    Trailer
    • Official Post

Besides Jack Ryan, what else did you like on Prime that led you to decide the content is better than Netflix’s? It’s certainly inexpensive; will you drop Netflix or keep both?

We don’t want to be glued to a screen all the time, so we’ve resisted the temptation to add any other subscriptions. Though Britbox is very tempting.

Unfortunately, BritBox is exclusively available in the United States and Canada, according to their website.

We're now on The Good Fight, a spin off of The Good Wife and it sails fairly close to the wind by its Trump related storylines, which paradoxically eclipse some of the fiction in the series.

But it's not all about that, with lots of lawyer related stuff, as you would expect, with many familiar faces from The Good Wife, including some of the rather eccentric judges and characters.

There are plenty of cameos too, with Michael Sheen and Mathew Perry popping up. Cush Jumbo and Rose Leslie are British actresses, although you wouldn't notice since their American accents are so flawless.

• Damages

(2007)

Overview

Damages is an American legal thriller television series created by the writing and production trio of Daniel Zelman and brothers Glenn and Todd A. Kessler. The plot revolves around the brilliant, ruthless lawyer Patty Hewes and her protégée, recent law school graduate Ellen Parsons. Each season features a major case that Hewes and her firm take on, while also examining a chapter of the complicated relationship between Ellen and Patty. The first two seasons center around the law firm Hewes & Associates.… Read more

Genres

• Mystery
    • Drama
    Trailer
    • Official Post

We're ploughing on through The Good Fight (Good Wife spin-off) which has some pretty serious faults right now. For starters they keep segueing to some quite nauseating cartoon style shorts with a bloke singing an explanation to us like we're kids. Like this:

It's also rather sterile and not gritty enough for my tastes.

On the other hand, Damages with Glenn 'Bunny Boiler' Close is another lawyer show, but much, much grittier and without the gloss.

• Bosch

(2015)

Overview

Based on Michael Connelly's best-selling novels, these are the stories of relentless LAPD homicide Detective Harry Bosch who pursues justice at all costs. But behind his tireless momentum is a man who is haunted by his past and struggles to remain loyal to his personal code: “Everybody counts or nobody counts.” Read more

Genres

• Crime
    • Mystery
    • Drama
    Trailer
    • Official Post

I haven't given up on The Good Fight yet, but it is a little sugar coated so I might return to it if i run out of stuff.

We're on season four of Damages and Patty Hewes and Ellen are now getting on my tits, but I expect we'll hold out till the end.

As a substitute and when Adri is chained to her spreadsheets, I'm watching Bosch, an LAPD detective series which is gritty and gripping at times.

Our detective hero, Harry Bosch, is kind of a trope for persistent and determined detectives, with a past that haunts him, but he's believable.

It's exclusive to Prime in 4k ultra HD, which looks great on out TV

• Hunters

(2020)

Overview

A diverse band of Nazi Hunters living in 1977 New York City discover that hundreds of high ranking Nazi officials are living among us and conspiring to create a Fourth Reich in the U.S. The eclectic team of Hunters set out on a bloody quest to bring the Nazis to justice and thwart their new genocidal plans. Read more

Genres

• Drama
    • Official Post

This looked promising at first, with a pretty good cast and an interesting idea. However, it becomes a little uncomfortable when the writers take liberties with what actually happened at Auschwitz and other concentration camps by adding Nazi cruelty games that never actually happened.

Designed more to titillate with a team of Nazi hunters painted as Marvel-style super heroes that end up trivialising the 6 million Jews who perished.

I'm still in two minds as to whether to carry on with it, to be honest.

• The Good Doctor

(2017)

Overview

Shaun Murphy, a young surgeon with autism and savant syndrome, relocates from a quiet country life to join a prestigious hospital's surgical unit. Unable to personally connect with those around him, Shaun uses his extraordinary medical gifts to save lives and challenge the skepticism of his colleagues. Read more

Genres

• Drama
    Trailer
    • Official Post

Usual hospital-based series, starring an autistic doctor with savant syndrome. He is exceptional at medicine, not so much at social skills. Some thinks that's too much of an obstacle, some thinks his exceptional visualization and memory skills more than make up for it, and try to teach him to be more 'normal' socially.

Excellent performance by English actor Freddie Highmore, but the series per se it's nothing great.

• Although we haven’t (thank God) succumbed to Covid-19, we’ve completely succumbed to the Quarantine, watching more news than is healthy along with more than a few Netflix series that we normally wouldn’t waste time on.

So we’ve given in to the siren call of Prime, and are starting with The Marvelous Mrs Mazel. First season was really fabulous. Starting season 2 and expect to work our way to the end of season 3 by Monday morning. Plenty of popcorn and wine at the ready.

Does anyone have any Must-See selections on prime?

• Watching The Durrells in Corfu. Fantastic! Originally a BBC production, beautifully done. Taken from the trilogy written by naturalist Gerald Durrell, the youngest child of a penniless British family that made a splendid life in Corfu in the 1930’s.

For anyone who has read Lawrence Durrell’s “Alexandria Quartet,” you will recognize the author as the oldest son of the family.

• You are right. It basically sucks

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by clean end!