Currently reading

There are 59 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,193 times. The latest Post () was by Bombonera.

• There are very few books that make me laugh out loud, snigger at every page and actually re-read certain pages because they are so funny. But Bill Bryson's Notes From A Small Island is that book.

This must be my third or fourth read of his observations as an American living and travelling around Britain and he absolutely nails it, describing our mannerisms and attitudes in such a descriptive and colourful manner, that I bow down to his writing skills, not to mention his ruthless take on architectural sins that many local councils committed on my beautiful country.

This book is so full of little gems that are so true to form, which is why I often point to some of his observations and say, "Yes, we are like that!"

Example: Being offered a tempting treat or a second helping of something delicious, one might say, "Oh no, I shouldn't really..."

He often brings up the differences between Americans and Brits, but doesn't ram it down our throats, since most of it is obvious, but when he does touch on it, he usually does it with a light touch, but sometimes with a hammer when needed.

I very much Admire Bill Bryson as a writer and if ever I wanted a mentor in that respect, it would be him.

• My bathroom book is "One Summer" in which Bryson pieces together the events of 1927 - the Lindbergh year. Very absorbing (perhaps I shouldn't say that about a bathroom book!) but I can't yet tell you how it ends because it's in the wrong bathroom and I won't be back there again for months!

• Rory Stewart is so interesting. I like his podcast with Alastair Campbell, “The Rest Is Politics.”

His book “The Marches: A Borderland Journey between England and Scotland” is on my must-read list. On your recommendation, I’m adding “The Places In Between.” Thanks, @Bombonera !

• PS on Rory Stewart: soccer fans will find this interesting -

THE REST IS POLITICS:

Join Rory and Alastair as they discuss the end of the World Cup and the soft power that comes with it, rising tensions between Kosovo and Serbia, Rory's experiences as Prisons Minister, and the challenge the government faces regarding prison reform. Email:restispolitics@gmail.comProducers: Dom Johnson + Nicole Maslen Exec Producers: Tony Pastor + Jack Davenport Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacyfor more information.

Listen on Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/…611374685?i=1000590810335

• My daughter bought me Bill Bryson's "The Road to Little Dribbling" for my birthday. A follow-up book, if you like, to Notes From a Small Island. It's worth picking up if you enjoyed Notes From a Small Island.

I've just finished reading Rory Stewart's "The Places In Between" about a journey he made on foot from Herat to Kabul in Afghanistan. It was one of those rare books that I didn't want to end. Top level travel-writing in my opinion. For the non-Brits reading, Rory Stewart fought an election campaign a few years ago to become Conservative Prime Minister.

Many readers describe his new book as a grumpy old man on a rant.

I can't wait!

The Road to Little Dribbling
    The hilarious and loving sequel to a hilarious and loving classic of travel writing: Notes from a Small Island, Bill Bryson’s valentine t...
    www.goodreads.com

• I've been reading a lot on ecology and sustainability for my dissertation. Now, I'm reading on climax community - an ecological term used to denote an ecosystem or community of plants, animals and other living organisms that has achieved equilibrium, or become stable. I found this concept and term quite intriguing. It is not too commonly known but the practical implications and need for it is high. We witnessed how nature healed itself during the lockdown. The floral and faunal rebirth in Chernobyl is another magnificent example. 
    Apart from that, I finished reading Haruki Murakami's The Wind-up Bird Chronicle. The book is a testament to why Murakami is a modern day great. Wind-up is a heavy text with a strong dosage of the Murakami usuals like food, drinks, monotonous life, music, etc. The best addition and treatment personally for me is the history part in Mongolia and the connection to the protagonist's present life. An amazing work - must read!

• I've just finished reading Rory Stewart's "The Places In Between" about a journey he made on foot from Herat to Kabul in Afghanistan. It was one of those rare books that I didn't want to end. Top level travel-writing in my opinion. For the non-Brits reading, Rory Stewart fought an election campaign a few years ago to become Conservative Prime Minister.

@Bombonera , Rory Stewart’s podcast co-host, Alistair Campbell, has a new book “But What Can I Do?” In response to the state of politics and government today.

I've been reading a lot on ecology and sustainability for my dissertation. 

Zoey , what are you studying, and where?

• I've just finished 3 Para by Patrick Bishop which follows soldiers from the Parachute Regiment during a tour of Afghanistan and their efforts to win over hearts and minds - an impossible job in that country. It got me wondering about how those soldiers must feel today knowing that Afghanistan is now in the hands of the very enemy they were shooting at not that long ago.

Patrick Bishop is a journalist and he pulls no punches in this book.

I'm now reading Tornado Down by Flt. Lieutenants John Peters and John Nichol who were shot down over Iraq in 1991, taken prisoner and tortured by the Iraqis. It's a tough read, but I'm pleased to see how both men were able to put their lives together after such a horrific ordeal.

Here is John Peters giving a brief account.