Returnable Coke Bottles

There are 22 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,424 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Are you seeing returnable Coke bottles at your supermercado? I just saw a big Coke truck outside of one, with stacks of empty 2-L bottles in crates. Never having seen this before, I wondered when Coke had become involved in recycling.

Inside the store there was a display announcing their new returnable 2-L bottles. Seems like a good idea, in a country that consumes so much Coke.

• Being poor as dirt when as a boy growing up in rural Arkansas, I used to collect empty Coke, Pepsi, RC Cola, Nehi, Seven Up, or any bottle that was returnable, just to make some pocket change. Times have changed, a little.

• Being poor as dirt when as a boy growing up in rural Arkansas, I used to collect empty Coke, Pepsi, RC Cola, Nehi, Seven Up, or any bottle that was returnable, just to make some pocket change. Times have changed, a little.

Times have definitely changed regarding the idea that coins and small denominations aren’t worthless but actually can add up. There is an ostensibly able bodied guy in late teens whose career is to sit on the church steps opposite our apt and beg. When we walked past yesterday, there was a 1-peso coin on a paving stone half a meter from him. He couldn’t have missed it, but he didn’t bother to pick it up.

The question I have, though, is whether the returnable bottle system even allows people to collect discarded bottles and turn them in for cash, as you were able to do, daniel . Can they do that? Or is it like the returnable beer bottle system, which gives not cash but merely credit to someone buying more beer?

If this is the case, the incentive for keeping the streets cleared of returnable Coke bottle litter would be completely removed.

I hope that Coke gives kids cash for bringing in the empties. Does anyone know?

• "If this is the case, the incentive for keeping the streets cleared of returnable Coke bottle litter would be completely removed."

The environment was not my main concern, I was just trying to accumulate enough change to buy me some BB's, or maybe a frozen treat. There are a few in my area that still gather, mostly aluminum cans, to sell at our scrap metal business. Even I, since I live on a very popular road for the discarding of beer cans, will keep my piece of the planet clean.

• Btw, It's not the same Coke or Pepsi you get in the plastic bottles. It is watered down, often without gas, and makes a good impression of dirty dishwater. Of course, it suits the masses who simply must drink Coke even if they can't afford to.

WHAT ???? They are selling a product under their own label that isn’t quality controlled to be identical to their iconic brand? Are you sure?

• Btw, It's not the same Coke or Pepsi you get in the plastic bottles. It is watered down, often without gas, and makes a good impression of dirty dishwater. Of course, it suits the masses who simply must drink Coke even if they can't afford to.

I have heard this before but I for one cannot tell the difference. Maybe the glass bottles may hold their flavor or may be better sealed but two freshly opened Coke's have the same taste to me. I drink very few Coke or Pepsi but my drink of choice will almost always be a Sprite.

• Sorry, I think there was some confusion. I meant the retornable Coke is not the same as the Coke you buy in a regular plastic bottle, or glass or can for that matter. In other words, the retornable Coke is watered down and not the same quality. I don't drink Coke, but know someone who works for them here. I do know the Fanta here is also very different to the one sold in the UK.

• Sorry, I think there was some confusion. I meant the retornable Coke is not the same as the Coke you buy in a regular plastic bottle, or glass or can for that matter. In other words, the retornable Coke is watered down and not the same quality. I don't drink Coke, but know someone who works for them here. I do know the Fanta here is also very different to the one sold in the UK.

I don’t drink Coke either, Semi, so I probably wouldn’t be a good choice to taste-test. I just find it incredible that the Coca Cola company would knowingly sabotage its own brand by allowing its name to be on an inferior product rather than fiercely protecting their reputation for a high quality product with impeccable quality control.

• Official Post

I don’t drink Coke either, Semi, so I probably wouldn’t be a good choice to taste-test. I just find it incredible that the Coca Cola company would knowingly sabotage its own brand by allowing its name to be on an inferior product rather than fiercely protecting their reputation for a high quality product with impeccable quality control.

Not that impeccable Rice

Quality control in Argentina isn't what it should be by a long shot. Many a time I've opened a bottle of Coke and it tastes crap. I only ever drink it, by the way, if I have to drive afterwards, or I mix it with Capt Morgan rum.

Otherwise, it's just shite.

• Not that impeccable Rice

Quality control in Argentina isn't what it should be by a long shot. Many a time I've opened a bottle of Coke and it tastes crap. I only ever drink it, by the way, if I have to drive afterwards, or I mix it with Capt Morgan rum.

Otherwise, it's just shite.

Do you mean that Coca Cola International allows its subsidiaries in various countries to run their own quality control? That would seem to be suicide for a worldwide corporation.

What if Nissan’s assembly plant in Namibia started producing cars with only three wheels. Would Nissan allow its name to be affixed?