Other films, TV shows and streamers

There are 119 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 11,071 times. The latest Post () was by Splinter.

• The Dilenquents looks like a very interesting film. When you learn that it has been subtitled, please let us know, aficionado ?

This film [Gettysburg] is four and a half hours long and I'm watching it over several days. As a history lesson, it's quite remarkable and detailed. One wonders what remnants of that terrible civil war still remain today.

Ten years ago, I would have replied that few if any remnants of the American Civil War remained. But in the last 8 years, much has changed in the USA, erasing some of the progress and healing of the past 155+ years.

Following the Civil War, Congress passed the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution, granting citizenship and equal legal and civil rights to African Americans and to formerly enslaved people who had been freed after the Civil War.

To safeguard against a future takeover of the country by insurrectionists who had held office and had sworn loyalty to the constitution, this critical provision was included in the Fourteenth Amendment:

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any state legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any state, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.”

This never-before exercised provision of the Fourteenth Amendment is now being tested in the Judicial system right now, with various states deciding whether the name of the insurrectionist former president of the USA can be barred from appearing on the ballots in the 2024 presidential election.

So I would say that there are, indeed, sad remnants of the Civil War still at play in the USA today. This is just one example.

• Barbie

(2023)

Overview

Barbie and Ken are having the time of their lives in the colorful and seemingly perfect world of Barbie Land. However, when they get a chance to go to the real world, they soon discover the joys and perils of living among humans. Read more

Genres

• Comedy
  • Fallout

(2024)

Overview

The story of haves and have-nots in a world in which there’s almost nothing left to have. 200 years after the apocalypse, the gentle denizens of luxury fallout shelters are forced to return to the irradiated hellscape their ancestors left behind — and are shocked to discover an incredibly complex, gleefully weird, and highly violent universe waiting for them. Read more
  • Haven’t watched it, aficionado . More info, please?

It's based on one of the most popular video games ever where survivors of a nuclear war come out of their underground shelters many years later.

I read the arstechnica article first which got me interested. I knew it was a game, as Splinter explains, though I never played. It was reading NYT and this guardian review that convinced me to watch, since they gave positive reviews based on not knowing the plot or idea of the game. It is comical plus the violence is cartoonish vs realistic violence, which so far was the most during episode one. I should not try to explain or review it any better than the linked Guardian critique.

• The Post

(2017)

Overview

A cover-up that spanned four U.S. Presidents pushed the country's first female newspaper publisher and a hard-driving editor to join an unprecedented battle between journalist and government. Inspired by true events. Read more

Genres

• History
    • Drama
    Trailer
  • My government makes me crazy. But, anticipating the horrendous possibility that we could have a criminally indicted megalomaniac elected by his cult this year, we’ve been giving a lot of thought to what country we could consider moving to, with majority English speaking people, decent climate, and a government any better than our own.

We haven’t found that Utopia yet.

• I've seen it already but it's still worth another watch for the performances and that it's based on true facts.

Don't you just love your government?

The thrust of this remarkable film is that consecutive governments going back to the 40s, lied about Vietnam and knew it was a war that could never be won. Nevertheless, thousands of young men were sent to their deaths for nothing.

Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep, Bob Odenkirk and Bruce Greenwood as Robert McNamara put in superb performances with the Washington Post putting everything on the line to expose the truth.

Also recommended:

1971 - movie: where to watch streaming online
    Is Netflix, Amazon, Now TV, ITV, iTunes, etc. streaming 1971? Find out where to watch movies online now!
    www.justwatch.com

And of course, All The President's Men.

• My government makes me crazy. But, anticipating the horrendous possibility that we could have a criminally indicted megalomaniac elected by his cult this year, we’ve been giving a lot of thought to what country we could consider moving to, with majority English speaking people, decent climate, and a government any better than our own.

We haven’t found that Utopia yet.

i have stopped caring about government and politics. the people who more affect your daily life are the ones leading your town, city, school boards. it's not worth the energy and emotional toll spent in this chaos about our national leaders on either side, all of them are worthless trash.

congress is incapable of taking any meaningful action anymore. any bill passed is so full of pork it's absurd. but meanwhile they happily trade stocks and options knowing what inside information they know and make millions for themselves and fuck the rest of us common folk.

• i have stopped caring about government and politics. the people who more affect your daily life are the ones leading your town, city, school boards. it's not worth the energy and emotional toll spent in this chaos about our national leaders on either side, all of them are worthless trash.

congress is incapable of taking any meaningful action anymore. any bill passed is so full of pork it's absurd. but meanwhile they happily trade stocks and options knowing what inside information they know and make millions for themselves and fuck the rest of us common folk.

Agreed.

I just watched bio documentaries of Ben Bradlee and John McCain - two men of principle. One to uncover the dirty truth and the other to challenge special interests, not least cast an eye on Vietnam POWs who never came home.

• I deplore self-serving and deceptive politicians, but it is simplistic to tar all politicians with the same brush. Just as none of us would want to be condemned with “all expats are scheming scammers,” we owe it to ourselves and others to judge politicians by their individual acts.

Every US presidential election is a two-horse race. Sometimes that means we need to look at two candidates and decide which we think is better for the country; sometimes it means we need to vote for the one we consider will be less harmful. In either case, we must make a decision instead of avoiding our responsibility to decide by declaring both candidates unworthy.

Splinter , Bradley, Woodward, & Bernstein remain American heroes, as do John McCain and John Dean. Who will be the heroes in the history of the 2006 Insurrection?

• That Thing You Do!

(1996)

Overview

A Pennsylvania band scores a hit in 1964 and rides the star-making machinery as long as it can, with lots of help from its manager. Read more

Genres

• Drama
    • Comedy
    Trailer