Coronavirus around the world

There are 1,097 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 150,789 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• I wouldn't trust any Communist country especially China.

I think you’ve put your finger on the whole conspiracy theory thing. We want to believe a certain story, so we do.

You don't trust what the FBI says? I'm pretty sure they have the evidence....even Biden seems to think so.

• Both the FBI and the DOE are reopening the conversation about the possibility. Neither has offered up any facts. If they do, I’ll read with an open mind. But right now? I don’t know any more facts than I did when it was considered just a nutjob xenophobic conspiracy theory.

• Both the FBI and the DOE are reopening the conversation about the possibility. Neither has offered up any facts. If they do, I’ll read with an open mind. But right now? I don’t know any more facts than I did when it was considered just a nutjob xenophobic conspiracy theory.

Do you have any Chinese blood in you Rice? I've yet to meet anyone who trusts the Chinese. 😁

• Do you have any Chinese blood in you Rice? I've yet to meet anyone who trusts the Chinese. 😁

No Chinese relatives that I’m aware of, though the name Rice does conjure up visions of delicious Asian food….

Have I said anything that remotely resembles trust of the Chinese? No, I didn’t think so. But I sure as hell don’t have any confidence in FuxNews-fueled conspiracy theories, either.

Especially after this week’s revelations that, under oath, the CEO of Fox and other Fox luminaries have admitted to knowing about, yet doing nothing to stop, their on-air stars’ fueling the Big Lie despite emails showing that they knew better. Why isn’t this 64-point, bold face, all-caps headline material, instead of conspiracy theories and hypotheses from amateurs?

What is Democracy when compared to money to be made? What are facts, when there is power to be gained?

All I’m saying is our intuition and ‘feelings’ about the origin of the Covid virus - or any other highly charged topic - are meaningless. We need to return to basing our opinions on facts.

• All I’m saying is our intuition and ‘feelings’ about the origin of the Covid virus - or any other highly charged topic - are meaningless. We need to return to basing our opinions on facts.

I agree. However the Chinese aren't exactly known for cooperating when they have something to hide. :mask:

• The dearth of facts makes it impossible, at least for now, to know what happened.

David French wrote in this morning’s NYT:

The Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday that the Energy Department had concluded (with “low confidence”) that the Covid-19 pandemic most likely arose from a Chinese lab leak. The Energy Department’s tentative conclusion hardly settles the debate over the roots of the coronavirus, but it does highlight a division within the federal government. While the F.B.I. (with “moderate confidence”) and the Energy Department believe that the coronavirus likely leaked from a lab, the National Intelligence Council and four other agencies still assess (with “low confidence”) that the coronavirus has an animal origin.

Low confidence? Medium confidence? Not good enough for the strongly-held opinions loudly voiced in the USA.

• What intrigues me is the timing. I'm not trying to start another conspiracy theory - God knows we've got enough of those already - but..

...what's so special about the end of February/start of March 2023 that everybody seems intent on rewriting Covid history right now? As well as the stuff appearing in the USA, in the UK the Telegraph is majoring on government Covid era WhatsApp 'leaks' (which don't actually tell the tale the Telegraph might like one to believe they tell.)

• What intrigues me is the timing. I'm not trying to start another conspiracy theory - God knows we've got enough of those already - but..

...what's so special about the end of February/start of March 2023 that everybody seems intent on rewriting Covid history right now? As well as the stuff appearing in the USA, in the UK the Telegraph is majoring on government Covid era WhatsApp 'leaks' (which don't actually tell the tale the Telegraph might like one to believe they tell.)

Excellent point! I just read an article about a mask study released by the biomedical journal Cochran Database of Systematic Reviews, which prompted the editorial board of the Washington Post to publish an opposing view.

As you say, why now?

• Not taking any more!!!!

To be honest if the wife didn't drag me to them I suspect I might have given the last two a miss. It's worth getting them though as you never know what could happen. I reckon the hellishly hot weather was to blame for my lethargy yesterday rather than the vaccination. Having said that the missus said she felt more tired than usual as well.