Android phones

There are 18 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,752 times. The latest Post () was by Splinter.

• Official Post

No sooner had I bought a Galaxy Note 8 (OK , that was last year) then the Note 9 came out and now we have the Note 10 which packs more power than many people's computers.

The Note 10+ uses an octacore 2.73 Ghz CPU, 12Gb of memory, 512Gb of internal storage which can be expanded to 1Tb by using an SD card. It also packs a 6.8" super amoled FHD screen and of course the SPen.

It's rather expensive though at around £1200, so I'll be waiting until it's been around for a couple of years.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/smartphones/galaxy-note10/

• I bought the Galaxy S10 earlier this year. The Note 10 looks amazing. I am not a power user these days so honestly base a big portion of my smartphone purchasing on looks. It's the nature of the smartphone world where you're on a never-ending chase if you always want the latest and greatest. Apple and Samsung (the former more than the latter) absolutley rely on those consumers who must upgrade every year or two.

Luckily I don't and will keep my device for years. Each year I am tempted by the new flagships though. With this Note 10 I am seriously tempted to buy it for my wife, who does tend to move from flagship to flagship (she is on the iPhone X at the moment and is itching to change it).

• Official Post

In the real world, I'd probably move to either the Note 9 or the S10+ when prices begin to tumble. I recall buying the Note 8 for less than £500 last year (new price around £950)

Having said that, the Note 8 performs flawlessly for me with 6gb of RAM, the Exynos CPU, 64Gb internal and a 64Gb SD card. Also, a rugged Spigen Tough armour case takes care of those little accidents.

For me one of the biggest advantages of most Android phones over Apple is the storage expansion.

• Official Post

I'm weighing up the options between the Note 20 Ultra and the Note 10+, with the latter being the most sensible option from a price point of view.

The reason I'm hesitating is that the Note 20 Ultra is very expensive and for the price you don't even get a 5G option, a service which will surely come to Argentina shortly.

It does offer a 120Hz screen and a 108 megapixel camera with some other fancy functions, but for the price difference, my head says the Note 10+.

Any thoughts Semigoodlooking ?

• In my opinion, any new Note device is probably the most complete smartphone on the market. No compromises like you get with a folding phone, and just excellent all-round in all departments. Samsung throws the kitchen sink at this model. I also think they are some of the best-looking handsets available.

In other words, the Note 20 Ultra is probably the best smartphone you could buy right now. Problem is the Note 10+ was probably the best phone you could buy until just a few months ago. From what I understand, the camera on the 20 Ultra is noticeably better than what Samsung could achieve a year ago. If you take a lot of photos or use your phone as a primary camera, the 20 is a good choice. That screen refreshing at 120Hz will also be good for consuming media, but if you're someone who only checks notifications, skips some songs, or sends WhatsApp messages, 120Hz is overkill and you may even find yourself reducing it to save battery.

One thing worth noting is the Note 20 Ultra will be future proof for many years. Of course, it will be "obsolete" in the silly world of annual smartphone updates, but if you don't like changing phones often, this should be good for 3-5 years. Obviously, with the Note 10+ you will have one less year.

I don't know the price difference here in Arg, can you tell me Splinter? For me, I think it comes down to how much you use your smartphone and for what purpose. Note devices are for power users, so if you are not one, the bleeding edge latest model may just be too much device. The Note 10+ was one of my favorite smartphones in recent years, for what it's worth. That said, if you can stretch your budget to handle the extra cost, why not go for the newer one.

• Official Post

Semigoodlooking

It's quite a hike actually. The Note 10+ is 100k and the Note 20 Ultra is 140k.

Having said that, on 18 months interest-free payments through Samsung Arg, the extra cost would be manageable, especially with inflation the way it is. However, they have now run out of stock and I'm having to look elsewhere. I'll probably go direct to Claro now since I'm with them anyway, but they only offer 12 months interest-free.

Common sense/economics say Note 10+, but...

Update!

The Note 20 Ultra came back into stock so we bought it.

There were other reasons for going with this offer, apart from 18 months interest-free payments:

Adri's lad has an S9 which he dropped and the screen is broken, but the phone works. The trade-in gives us AR$20,000 on that, subject to scrutiny.

There is also a Samsung Members e-Voucher for AR$20,000 valid till 1st October where I can choose a Galaxy Watch Active 2, Galaxy Buds, or some other gifts like Office 365 and YouTube Premium.

Not such a bad deal in the end :banana-with-kilt-smiley-emoticon:

• You get a Watch Active 2 or the Buds as a gift? Then, that's not bad at all, especially with those interest-free payments.

Can anyone tell me why my credit cards don't have limits this high? My limit is 42,000, which these days is not much at all. I admit not much cash goes through my bank and I am not a monitributo or anything like that, could that be the reason why they won't increase my limit? Considering the situation, 18 months no interest would be something I would be interested in. Less so dropping 140,000 in one go.

• Official Post

You get a Watch Active 2 or the Buds as a gift? Then, that's not bad at all, especially with those interest-free payments.

Can anyone tell me why my credit cards don't have limits this high? My limit is 42,000, which these days is not much at all. I admit not much cash goes through my bank and I am not a monitributo or anything like that, could that be the reason why they won't increase my limit? Considering the situation, 18 months no interest would be something I would be interested in. Less so dropping 140,000 in one go.

My other half is an accountant and she says that you can ask to have your limit increased, but they may need proof of income and all that kind of thing.

Without trying to justify the purchase too much, lol, we bought a 4K TV for AR$15,000 a couple of years ago on 50 payments of AR$300.

How many cups of coffee can you buy with $300 which is now about US$2?

• My other half is an accountant and she says that you can ask to have your limit increased, but they may need proof of income and all that kind of thing.

Without trying to justify the purchase too much, lol, we bought a 4K TV for AR$15,000 a couple of years ago on 50 payments of AR$300.

How many cups of coffee can you buy with $300 which is now about US$2?

Yeah, proving income is not possible.

You're completely right. Even if you're paying 5,000+ per month for that phone, that will be increasingly more affordable. It is around 40? dollars per month now. In a couple of months it will probably be mid 30s and then who knows how much lower. If the all bets scenarios some are estimating happen, you could be paying like 15 dollars a month for that $1,200 phone.

• Wow. While the costs of phones seem dramatically large, coupled with the very low cost of phone service, the whole package is quite affordable.

I’m still happily using my iphone7+ so haven’t paid attention to the cost of new phones in a few years. But I can tell you that my monthly service In the US is now $73. And, incidentally, the tv cable service plus internet is $189/month. Big difference.

• Boys do love their toys. And this one looks really impressive -

This boy would still be happy to use his Ericsson T28...I have several however the networks no longer supports it.

I make do with my wife's Samsung cast off. It's on a contact but rarely if ever use any of the humongous call and data monthly allowance the contract has. Communicating using smoke signals would do me to be honest.

• Official Post

The camera has a 108mp function which results in some incredible detail, but at a cost of around 25MB per shot, bearing in mind that most high quality photos from phones are around 2-3MB.

Here's one I took earlier at 12,000 x 9000 pixel resolution (28.4MB), resized to 1440 x 1080 (831KB) and it still looks pretty good.