All about bread in BA

There are 31 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,623 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• Official Post

There are hundreds of bread varieties available, but I steer clear of Pan Industrial, as Adri calls it, i.e. that awful sliced stuff from Bimbo and others.

Why do they add milk to bread?

Although Bimbo do a euphemistically named pan casero, which is the same but looks different, with flour sprinkled on it. i.e it tastes the same as industrial.

Carrefour do some very nice French loaves (baguettes) in a rustic style and a very tasty flavour indeed, which I now use for Choripans.

But what I was really looking for was a nice unsliced white loaf, but the bakery in La Lucila don't make them, which startled me, and on further investigation I found a small cafeteria that bakes its own, which they call pan de campo.

I bought one for $120 which is quite expensive, but will taste very special when toasted lightly and bacon, eggs and butter (unsalted) are thrown between two slices tnight. I might even throw in some melted cheese for the heck of it.

• If u like rye bread, I have the absolute number one in BA, not Hausbrot or the other french named chain......it's a Danish guy in micro Centro that has a small smorrebrod shop.....

U can buy the bread to take away.....it's as good as the best u can buy in Denmark, nothing less....."NORDICA SMORREBROD" check Facebook....tell 15-38317324, chacobuco 137!!!!!!

• Rice ....

Chacobuco 137......pretty close to obelisco.

The smorrebrod is as authentic Danish can be, so if you know it, you will love it!

It's rye bread with toppings, Danish traditional types.

It's one of the things I miss most from Denmark.....

If I had the money for it, I would be there everyday eating.

The bread is pricy, but it last forever.....

Go there and check it out, won't be disappointed!!!!

• Official Post

If u like rye bread, I have the absolute number one in BA, not Hausbrot or the other french named chain......it's a Danish guy in micro Centro that has a small smorrebrod shop.....

U can buy the bread to take away.....it's as good as the best u can buy in Denmark, nothing less....."NORDICA SMORREBROD" check Facebook....tell 15-38317324, chacobuco 137!!!!!!

Today they announced they are closing up the store and they’ll go to Denmark for a couple of month. Once they’ll be back they’ll resume the catering part of the business, but no more place open to the public. They said the expenses of the store became unbearable.

It must be really hard to make a profitable business in Argentina, especially if you are a specialty food store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• yea I read it on Facebook too today ......

The first day I ever visited his shop, I knew it would not last long!!!!!

And to be honest, for us , not Argentine people, might be a nice snack or dinner, but for most here, not!!!!!

A pity though.

Maybe something like this could work in Palermo, no idea.....but microcenter, no.

• Official Post

No surprise there.

In fact. the first shop I opened in Olivos was on the bottom floor of a block of flats and even though we didn't benefit from any of the so-called amenities of the flats, we still had to pay the expenses, which were exorbitant. Also, the rent went up 25% per year and after the three year contract was up, they wanted to bump it by around 35% and then 25% each subsequent year for the next three years.

We said no, moved out and I found a shop for half the price, then all that crap started all over again. Not to mention Macri's brutal subsidies claw-backs which saw utilities go up by 500-1000% ( they thought they had it bad in Chile and Ecuador ffs!)

Then a new landlord slapped a 75% increase on the rent, which is when I finally threw the keys back at them and moved into my garage with zero overheads.

Gordon Gekko reckoned greed was good...

• as I told earlier, I worked together with Stuart, a friend of mine , in one if the first and most successful burger joints in BA......seeing the sales and seeing what was left after all costs was paid, I understand that these type of shops can never work!!!!

Anyway regarding rent......I really don't think the shop owners are necessarily the ones to blame......I wouldn't be surprised if rents for shops would be more or less exactly the same as earlier.....in USD!!!!

If for example u paid 1000 peso rent in 2010, that same rent would be 15.000 today!!!! Even without having increased one cent, in dollar terms!

They should just stop this whole peso comedy and dollarize.

• yep, because we are all the same......when we wanna sell something, or do some paid work, we say "hey, don't fool around, I need an acceptable price (USD)" , but when buying something "hey, how can it be a burger is 400 pesos?".

I bet we are all the same.....

• I was at Antares Palermo yesterday, just to say hello.......

Had 2 cream stouts at happy hour between 18.00-20.00......

I paid with my payoneer prepaid card....3.16 USD.......!!!!

If I would pull out any of the thousands of payment details from back in 2010 when I arrived here and tended to visit quite often, I bet the price would be exactly the same......

So all this peso crap is just psychological.......

Ok, the utilities, peajes have gone up, also in USD......but rest of the stuff....guess most is same priced more or less......

• Official Post

So all this peso crap is just psychological.......

Exactly my point. My husband always complains about how much I spend and yells 'how could a kg of ice cream cost 500 pesos?! Are they crazy?!'. Then I tell him to convert to EUR and recall how much is a kg of ice cream in Italy... I bet it's at least twice as much.

500 pesos = €7.61 today

Today I was running errand and I stopped to eat at Lo de Hans, classic old tavern porteña very worn out.

A milanesa con frita was $170, un sifón $54. Added 10% tip and had a full meal, served to me for $250 or €3.81.

Provided the milanesa was crap and the fritas were soggy. But I was hungry as hell, it was raining and I needed a place to sit for an hour before my next appointment. The only disappointment was the courteous waiter -- I was expecting a rude waiter, which is part of the authentic experience for me. ;)

• I've been eating sliced bread from La Anonima lately...think it's called Lactal. It's fine for a sarnie or toast and marmalade at brekkie. Have to admit apart from using it for choripan (must have butter though) I'm not a fan of stick type bread.