Being an accountant in Argentina

There are 5 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,880 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Official Post

I remember when I ran a small business in the UK and I probably saw my accountant once or maybe twice a year and during that time I could have phoned him a maximum of half a dozen times. It never seemed top of the list of priorities since running the business itself was the aim. The dog wagging the tail if you like.

Here, it's completely the other way around, at least from where I'm spectating.

Adri's an accountant and at the moment she's practically chained to her PC with the annual tax returns. I'm sure it's not fun in any country, but here it seems to be magnified by a scale of ten or more.

Not only that, but here clients phone her at all hours as if their lives depend on the phone call. Ten at night or seven thirty in the morning is par for the course and anything in between. Some phone her every single day or multiple times a day and very often I suggest that just maybe, some of those calls aren't really necessary and perhaps they should call at more civilised hours. Or just tell the fuckers to call back tomorrow...or the next day.

But of course, we each run our businesses our way and I can only chip in.

Mind you, when you tell someone how much tax they have to pay and then charge for that for bad news, is not something I've ever had to do, thankfully.

She's very good at what she does, but her clients certainly wouldn't like me as their accountant.

I'd go full Basil Fawlty.

• Official Post

She should get a work number and turn the phone off when she doesn't want to be disturbed or is working. Personal/professional boundaries here are totally ignored.

I have had people inquiry for quotes at 10 PM or on Sunday. To me, they have spare time during the evenings/weekend and you have to seize the moment before you hear 'se me complicó'.

• She should get a work number and turn the phone off when she doesn't want to be disturbed or is working. Personal/professional boundaries here are totally ignored.

I'd have a business phone line, and leave a polite voicemail msg asking the caller to call back during business hours. Or as serafina suggests, skip the vmail and simply turn off the phone at the end of the business day. People in some professions must endure being On Call 24/7, but accountants shouldn't be among them.

The training period for clients becomes more difficult if they already have Adri's cell number, of course. They would consider that the business phone is for everyone else, but not for them.

• Official Post

I have Fb pages advertising my business and Facebook as as feature that displays to the world how long is your average response time. Of course, clients like to receive prompt replies and consider Facebook messaging like chatting with the customer service of a multinational, whereas I am just a freelancer. So I have to reply even if it is 2 AM or my 'average response time' would be increase.

AirBnb had the same thing in place, and some professional hosts did outsource customer service to dedicated services able to cover shifts 24/7. Apparently, prompt reply is a key factor in modern businesses. But in Argentina, I believe they haven't yet found it out and who does it, does it because they want to (or let the clients get it for free).

• I have Fb pages advertising my business and Facebook as as feature that displays to the world how long is your average response time. Of course, clients like to receive prompt replies and consider Facebook messaging like chatting with the customer service of a multinational, whereas I am just a freelancer. So I have to reply even if it is 2 AM or my 'average response time' would be increase.

AirBnb had the same thing in place, and some professional hosts did outsource customer service to dedicated services able to cover shifts 24/7. Apparently, prompt reply is a key factor in modern businesses. But in Argentina, I believe they haven't yet found it out and who does it, does it because they want to (or let the clients get it for free).

“Prompt reply” is an unknown concept in Argentina. As an extra bonus, try calling Carlos the plumber to learn why he didn’t come by yesterday at 0900 as agreed.