Intro and Request for Guidance on Apartment Hunting

There are 7 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,031 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Hello!

My name is Kristian and I’m moving from Alaska to Buenos Aires on May 7.

I’m staying in a hotel for a couple of weeks until I find a apartment. In preparation, I looked up apartment in “Mercado Libre.” I found a property and called the agent. Everything sounded on par, until he mentioned that the lease would have to be for 3 years. So, my question is whether this lease length is typical or I’m getting taken advantage here?

Also, if you folks have any advice or resources to have smooth and fair to rent an apartment, please share. Thank you in advance!

• The three-year lease is normal according to the current Rental Law. Shorter leases are possible but would be outwith the scope of the current law.

This is rumoured to change very shortly to two years.

Do you know which part of town you want to live in?

Are you on your own or are you bringing family?

• That's typical unless you rent from someone who has something to hide....which is not recommended. Worth mentioning that those who rent usually have to have a guarantor.

Thank you for the heads-up re: the guarantor. I’m self-employed, so I don’t have an employer to verify income. But would you say that, in your experience, if I paid a year in advance in lieu of a guarantor, that might acceptable?

• Helpful

Some property owners will accept prepayment as a form of guarantee. It will depend on each individual case.

be prepared for 6 monthly or even quarterly rent reviews .

If you agree to pay in dollars, do not agree to rent reviews, these are intended for those who pay in Pesos.