Posts by Krisvalgal

Splinter,

Thank you for the info, I will follow your advice. Where/how does one locate one of those “Cuevas”? As I’m assuming they are likely clandestine.

This actually reminds me of a trip to Nigeria during which the exchange rate was roughly $1 = 400 naira! My US-Nigerian friends and I went looking for people on the street that purchased dollars at a better rate. It was funny that the equivalent of $20 was so much paper I that it barely fit on my wallet. Ah, inflation…

Hello all,

I’m entering Argentina (that sounded weird) on May 7. I would love to get some advice on my plans on handling my finances:

1. I usually pay for everything via credit card here the US, but I’m exchanging $1k US to ARS - should I exchange it at the airport before leaving or once I’m in AR?

2. I will have to keep my US bank accounts in the beginning since I don’t have the necessary paperwork to open a Argentinian deposit account. But once I do, is it worth it to get one or should I stick to my existing US accounts?

Those are the only financial questions that I have, but I don’t know what I don’t know, so I would also appreciate any insight into other aspects that are relevant.

Gracias!

That's typical unless you rent from someone who has something to hide....which is not recommended. Worth mentioning that those who rent usually have to have a guarantor.

Thank you for the heads-up re: the guarantor. I’m self-employed, so I don’t have an employer to verify income. But would you say that, in your experience, if I paid a year in advance in lieu of a guarantor, that might acceptable?

Hello!

My name is Kristian and I’m moving from Alaska to Buenos Aires on May 7.

I’m staying in a hotel for a couple of weeks until I find a apartment. In preparation, I looked up apartment in “Mercado Libre.” I found a property and called the agent. Everything sounded on par, until he mentioned that the lease would have to be for 3 years. So, my question is whether this lease length is typical or I’m getting taken advantage here?

Also, if you folks have any advice or resources to have smooth and fair to rent an apartment, please share. Thank you in advance!