baexpats.org a con?

There are 100 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 11,657 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• This is very interesting, serafina . It brings me to 2-3 questions that I hope our own forum members will take a minute to answer:

1) how many forums/FB groups etc do you regularly read or contribute to?

2) among these, is your affiliation with this forum at the top of your list? In the middle? At the bottom?

And, if you have time:

3) what changes could make you more inclined to be more involved?

I browse five forums most days although I only contribute to one on a daily basis....a pipe smoking forum.

• I don't spend much time on forums, but do on Reddit.

Regarding the other forum, as I said, it has been open long enough that it clearly has a lot of information. For a newcomer to Argentine, that's why that forum attracts them. If you already know most the information all it's good for is an argument. As I like an argument, I post there sometimes. That said, I think my post count here is going to surpass my post count there soon, in much less time. Sometimes I like to roll around in the mud with the pigs, so engage over there.

Luckily I have not encountered any of the issues but obviously there's something fishy going on there. Bajo, for example, seems to have some power behind the scenes. I don't know how Ben gets away with sparring and mostly beating Bajo, but to me it's clear Bajo is involved there. It wouldn't surprise me if the forum is influenced politically (i.e., the K's). Sounds far fetched but who knows, I have always been convined Bajo is there specifically to stir the pot and not for his own personal fun.

• Bajo also gets clients from the forum. Ceviche is so in lockstep with both Bajo and admin that, had I not known someone who’d met him, I would have thought he was a made-up member.

Like serafina , when bored, I sometimes spy, to see who from the 2010-2016 era is still there. Nikad, Steve in BsAs, Bajo, McKenna, RedPossum, Ceviche. Occasionally Michele and Camel, Ben.

I don’t remember Gracielle from back then.

I’m not drawn to social media, and don’t even do FB. I was active in Igorlandia back in the early days of our having one foot in Argentina. My memory of my departure year is foggy, but after a few slaps on the wrist and banishments, I believe Splinter & I exited about the same time and serafina joined us here?

BAexpats calls itself a community, but as Semigoodlooking has aptly diagnosed, its broad base helps as an info source for newcomers. Otherwise, it attracts and keeps people who like the sound of their own opinions and love nothing better than telling those who disagree with them, how utterly wrong, clueless and stupid they are.

For me, the appeal of this forum is not just exchanging info but having conversations with other people who share the experience of our home countries as well as Argentina. And the added benefit of members who are in our home countries only, or are Argentine, both groups generous enough to contribute to the ongoing discussions.

I love that our topics aren’t limited to Argentina or in any other way.

What could we change to make it better? Hearing from members weekly or daily. Also recruiting a few more people, for fuller discussions and more voices; but not a hoard, because that would undoubtedly change the character of our existing group.

• I think there's a limit to what you can contribute to forums like this due to the main topic. If not enough newcomers join to seek advice/info then you end up with the same group of regulars waffling on about how ruddy awful or brilliant living here is....I'm certainly guilty of doing both depending on how I feel.

The other forum does seem to be busier with more discussion going on. However it's also full of arseholes who are not 'real' expats. Soon as their dollars run out they'll be off!!

• Sometimes staying in a forum for a long spell can become boring, same questions keep popping up from new members , but what i have noticed lately is how polarized some have become, even this forum.

So i do agree that over time a group of regulars is formed who might be lined up on their political views and or other views in life in general, making the experience a little less than comfortable for others.

I do not defend or condemn any group or forum as there's no obligation for anyone to stay if you don't feel heard or represented. i also have noticed certain political bias in some of them , after all, it's just a forum , maybe i'm too old to be affected by what people think of me about my views in this context.

• Sometimes staying in a forum for a long spell can become boring, same questions keep popping up from new members , but what i have noticed lately is how polarized some have become, even this forum.

So i do agree that over time a group of regulars is formed who might be lined up on their political views and or other views in life in general, making the experience a little less than comfortable for others.

I do not defend or condemn any group or forum as there's no obligation for anyone to stay if you don't feel heard or represented. i also have noticed certain political bias in some of them , after all, it's just a forum , maybe i'm too old to be affected by what people think of me about my views in this context.

Everyone has their political biases, you included. I don't see a need to get precious about it, state your opinion and move on to the next topic. I don't get offended by someone with different beliefs to me unless those beliefs are evil and/or criminal. I also don't care if I am heard or represented. I engage in the topics I want and ignore the ones I don't, it's that simple for me. I don't understand someone feeling uncomfortable unless someone is directly calling you out or harrassing you. Some people have too soft a skin these days.

• That's exactly my point, sometimes expressing your believes offends somebody else, it didn't used to be this way, but now you have to walk on egg shells or you'll be deemed racist, seems that everything is racist these days or misogynist and when your opinion is unwelcome or like you say , becomes insulting to your person and called out on your intelligence due the lack of ''credentials'' like the good doktor in the other forum, then it really just devaluates the concept of a community such as a forum.

•  

Everyone has their political biases, you included. I don't see a need to get precious about it, state your opinion and move on to the next topic. I don't get offended by someone with different beliefs to me unless those beliefs are evil and/or criminal. I also don't care if I am heard or represented. I engage in the topics I want and ignore the ones I don't, it's that simple for me. I don't understand someone feeling uncomfortable unless someone is directly calling you out or harrassing you. Some people have too soft a skin these days.

It would seem some of your feathers have been ruffled judging by the tone of your reply. :)

• Official Post

That's exactly my point, sometimes expressing your believes offends somebody else, it didn't used to be this way, but now you have to walk on egg shells or you'll be deemed racist, seems that everything is racist these days or misogynist and when your opinion is unwelcome or like you say , becomes insulting to your person and called out on your intelligence due the lack of ''credentials'' like the good doktor in the other forum, then it really just devaluates the concept of a community such as a forum.

If you've got any issues with the forum @Mckenna I'd like to hear them.

Indeed.

I'm not convinced people are attracted here to seek info on Sport, TV and radio,Science,Tech,Gaming etc.etc.

No, that's true. They don't come here to talk specifically about those topics, but we all have individual interests and so it's likely that many will be interested in some of the other sections.

It's really no different to other forums, except the one that is the subject of this thread.

• It would seem some of your feathers have been ruffled judging by the tone of your reply. :)

Really, what in my post would suggest my feathers were ruffled? Being able to state my opinion in the words I choose perhaps? I am not the one saying I feel "uncomfortable" or am "walking on eggshells" around a bunch of people on an internet forum. I can safely say I have never had my feathers ruffled on any public forum. McKenna is going on about feeling those things and I just think to myself "why does he care?" What's the worst can happen, he is banned or called out on his opinions. I think if his beliefs are sound, what's the problem, even if they are different to someone else's? There are two problems on most forums... people who get offended by what others post and then the poster getting offended because someone is offended at them.

Over on the other forum, there are a lot of the former, but reading some of the stuff here it seems there are also some of the latter. We had it happen here with Jan, where he would say some stuff that offended people. They called him out on it, not even in offense, just stating their own view. He then got offended and left. I have found this forum to be largely free of people taking outright offence at what is being posted but it seems some people are really saying "don't challenge my opinion because it makes me uncomfortable".

• I have found this forum to be largely free of people taking outright offence at what is being posted but it seems some people are really saying "don't challenge my opinion because it makes me uncomfortable".

I'm not so sure about that...even I might have crossed the line now and again.^^

At the end of the day it is only a bleedin' internet forum of strangers. We do tend to converse differently when not face to face.

• I'm not so sure about that...even I might have crossed the line now and again.^^

At the end of the day it is only a bleedin' internet forum of strangers. We do tend to converse differently when not face to face.

This is my whole point, made much more effective by you.

I don't think you've crossed the line and offended anyone here. Speaking personally, those I disagree with on issues have not offended me one bit. I think on the other forum people think disagreement means they should be offended. Bloody hell, the whole world is going that way in fact.

• LOL this is spiraling out of control quick, he said, i said, then he said.

Ok tough man, we got the point you don't get offended or give a shit what people think of your opinions.

What some of us , not as tough as you, take into account is that your ''sound beliefs" can and will be challenged to the point of people trying to get you deported in some cases.

And no, i don't feel uncomfortable , i know where i stand and why i stand there, except when in argentina you have to mind your principals as sound as they are , that can be enough for someone to press charges against you.

• Official Post

I assume you're joking there, mate. I don't see anything spiralling out of control, but a simple dialogue on how forum discussions tend to evolve.

I've met all the active members on this forum, except for UK Man and the last thing I would want to do is fall out online over some silly Internet argument. There are plenty of those on Facebook.

Anyway, as the title of this thread suggests, posts of this nature would immediately be shut down at the other place and clearly we don't do that here. Jan was an exception.

• LOL this is spiraling out of control quick, he said, i said, then he said.

Ok tough man, we got the point you don't get offended or give a shit what people think of your opinions.

What some of us , not as tough as you, take into account is that your ''sound beliefs" can and will be challenged to the point of people trying to get you deported in some cases.

And no, i don't feel uncomfortable , i know where i stand and why i stand there, except when in argentina you have to mind your principals as sound as they are , that can be enough for someone to press charges against you.

Look mate, you get offended and personal too easily. It has nothing to do with being tough, and that's quite a surprising thing to say as it has literally nothing to do with the discussion and no-one has mentioned it. I don't know, it seems you are conflating an experience you have had in Argentina with an internet forum with about 10 people on it who happen to be in Argentina. Or do you mean someone pressed charges against you/tried to get you deported on the other forum or here?