What are you doing this Christmas and new year?

There are 29 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,125 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Official Post

After I threw a rather large rock in the pool and watched the subsequent reverberations, they decided to cancel the birthday party which turned out to be for over 25 people plus caterers.

Much relief on our side.

:gandalf:

• Official Post

We discuss about it almost daily.

We are afraid that family will be offended if we don't attend, that they could perceive it as a form of distrust or that we don't care. I personally don't care if I am labelled as paranoid and I simply think that attending a family gathering in 20 days could be the end of our lives. Perhaps one of us could die, perhaps one of us will be hospitalized, traumatized by the experienced or bear long term debilitating consequences. Life would change forever. So no matter how small the risk may be, I'd rather avoid it. I won't put my life at stake for one asado, for how much I love Christmas in Argentina.

Indeed, we very much care: about our health, about my husband's family health.

Angela Merkel spoke to Germans in very strong terms and the Italian Embassy in Berlin reposted an excerpt of her speech with Italian subtitles. She said one very true thing: if you gather for Christmas, this could be the last one and one year from now, the empty chairs will gloom upon us and we will have to reflect if this could have been avoided. The answers won't be hard to find...

It is really a small sacrifice to ask compared to the potential consequences.

• ... or you could mention that Merkel’s “empty chairs” point applies to ALL gatherings, not just birthday parties.

Thanksgiving Day in the US rivals Christmas as the #1 family gathering holiday. Public health officials implored families not to celebrate together this ONE YEAR, but their pleas were largely ignored. That was 2 weeks ago today, and the undeniable surge in covid cases started showing up about 6 days ago.

serafina has it absolutely right. This decision rests firmly on the comparison of risk vs reward. No matter how small the risk or how wonderful the feast, it is hard to tell ourselves that getting 2 or more household units together is a good decision.

• Official Post

... or you could mention that Merkel’s “empty chairs” point applies to ALL gatherings, not just birthday parties.

Thanksgiving Day in the US rivals Christmas as the #1 family gathering holiday. Public health officials implored families not to celebrate together this ONE YEAR, but their pleas were largely ignored. That was 2 weeks ago today, and the undeniable surge in covid cases started showing up about 6 days ago.

serafina has it absolutely right. This decision rests firmly on the comparison of risk vs reward. No matter how small the risk or how wonderful the feast, it is hard to tell ourselves that getting 2 or more household units together is a good decision.

I would be perfectly content NOT to have to go somewhere else for Xmas eve and not just because of health concerns, although that should be the top priority, but clearly isn't to some.

As if just one year would make a diffrrence? But I can hear the refrain already..."It may be mum's last Christmas with us..." etc etc etc.