Technology can’t yet keep up with bilinguals

There are 11 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Rice.

• One of the most frustrating experience with my top notch iPhone X is that it cannot recognize automatically which language I am typing. I have to constantly switch between three language keyboard, and I wonder if by there isn’t a simpler mode. For example, the first two typed word should be enough to determine one of the three languages installed on my phone.

Turns out Alexa, Amazon’s robot, is having a hard time dealing with bilingual families. This is an American-Argentinian family’s experience: https://slate.com/technology/2…lexa-bilingual-family.amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Do you mean for text messages and Whatsapp?

I use Swiftkey on my Galaxy Note 8 and previously on my S8 and iPhone 6.

It's the best typing app I've ever used and although my default is English, I've added Spanish, so that when I type, it recognises each language seamlessly.

I expect that even if I added a third language, it would be just as easy.

• I used it when I bought an Android phone years ago, then I switched to apple and Swiftkey was not available for MacOs.

I am using the regular keyboard, there is a globe icon to switch between languages and in some apps (such as iMessage and WhatsApp) it prompts the keyboard in the same language as the last message exchanged with a given recipient, but in others (FB, mail) it is not that smart. I write in three languages and manually shuffling between keyboards is a bummer!

• I have just installed SwiftKey on my iPhone and it just supports two languages at time. That said, it is working pretty great with English!

I will give it a proper run this week.

• I installed swiftkey on my phone, but hesitated about giving full access. Still, I started to do it so i could get word predictions and keep languages up to dste. but i got cold feet when i read the warning that allowing full access would "allow the keyboard developer to transmit anything you type, including ... credit card numbers...."

That sounds too risky. but without full access, i can't get word predictions, so the app's helpfulness is seriously minimized.

Did you allow full access, serafina and Splinter ?

• I installed swiftkey on my phone, but hesitated about giving full access. Still, I started to do it so i could get word predictions and keep languages up to dste. but i got cold feet when i read the warning that allowing full access would "allow the keyboard developer to transmit anything you type, including ... credit card numbers...."

That sounds too risky. but without full access, i can't get word predictions, so the app's helpfulness is seriously minimized.

Did you allow full access, serafina and Splinter ?

I don't even read these fine prints - it is either that or no service. But now that you tell me, maybe it is time to reconsider

• Of course I allowed full access, without which you don't get full use of it.

You have to remember that the app learns from your typing, hence 'predictive text'. Also, if you sign in to Swiftkey too, your typing history goes with you.

It's all or nothing I'm afraid and don't be put off by those warnings. I hardly think Swiftkey would transmit sensitive information.

• Ha! People also trusted Facebook to safeguard private information. Until they didn’t.

But I guess I could always disable swiftkey before entering sensitive information.