Some different facts between Northern vs. Southern Hemisphere

There are 8 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,405 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• As I assume that many of the members of this forum are just coming from the Northern Hemisphere, perhaps will be useful to remark some curious differences that everyone can discover just seeing it. Members are welcome to add others that surely I miss now.

1. In the Southern Hemisphere , if you are in a country a bit at the south of the tropic of Capricorn (23:27 degrees), all the time you will find the sun at midday in the north. That fact is very important for orientation, as we always could see the sun and deduce that the west is at our left, and the east is at our right. This is of the utmost importance when you ar trekking without any high tech instrument, or a mere compass. The opposite is appliable to the Northern one.

2. It the Southern Hemisphere, if you fill a basin with water and if you withdaw it inmediately , the water will run with a non clockwise sense.

3. In the Southern Hemisphere you can look at the heavens (not in BA, please, where the light of the city erases all stars, and you will see myriads of stars and constellations, much more that in the Northern one, as the main part of the Milky way is seen in the Southern Hemisphere.

4. 90 % of the world pollution is made in the Northern Hemisphere, we only contributes with the remnant 10 %.

5. As mouch more people lives in the Northern Hemisphere, political conflicts are much possible to become wars in that one.

Our soputhern Hemisphere is much more peaceful.

6. We share the same hemisphere with first class countries, like Australia, New Zealand, and secondly, some countries that perhaps cannot be compared with them, but are acceptable as Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Southern Brazil and perhaps South Africa (I do not know exaclty how they are doing now, bit I am sure that is the most developed country in Africa)

As you can see, some advantages and some blunders too.

• And what about the moon? Are we looking at it upside down?

Yes.

In the Northern Hemisphere, at the beginning of the month the arc of the moon points rightwards, and at the end of the month it points leftwards.

The reverse is true here.

I do airline tickets, car rental, hotels, cruises, insurance, and all-inclusive packages.

If you want great service and low prices, look no further.
    I also sell local SIM cards for several countries.
    ben@kanfeinesharim.com

• And even Orion constellation, which has a powerful shape, very recognizable, is turned down as well. You can find it in the USA looking South, as it very close to the Heavens equator.

A constellation that you northerners cannot see is the Southern Cross, close to the Heavens Southern pole. The same happens in teh Southern Hemispher with the Ursa Major and Ursa Minor, where the polar star is located.

• And even Orion constellation, which has a powerful shape, very recognizable, is turned down as well. You can find it in the USA looking South, as it very close to the Heavens equator.

A constellation that you northerners cannot see is the Southern Cross, close to the Heavens Southern pole. The same happens in teh Southern Hemispher with the Ursa Major and Ursa Minor, where the polar star is located.

A Porteña we know insists that the "Three Marias" can be seen only in the Southern Hemisphere. We know these stars as Orion's Belt, rather than the prettier name, but we can definitely see them

• A Porteña we know insists that the "Three Marias" can be seen only in the Southern Hemisphere. We know these stars as Orion's Belt, rather than the prettier name, but we can definitely see them

Tell this "porteña" that the "Tres Marias" are the belt of Orion, and since you northerners can see the Orion constellation, of course you can see it as well, because it is a part of it. You can see Orion constellation because is very close to the Celestial equator. If you were perhaps in Greenland or in Northern Siberia, you would not be able to see it.

But you at 40° Latitude North, you surely can see Orion looking south. I did that in a January Night in West Virginia, which was at 40° Latitude north.

• Tell this "porteña" that the "Tres Marias" are the belt of Orion, and since you northerners can see the Orion constellation, of course you can see it as well, because it is a part of it. You can see Orion constellation because is very close to the Celestial equator. If you were perhaps in Greenland or in Northern Siberia, you would not be able to see it.

But you at 40° Latitude North, you surely can see Orion looking south. I did that in a January Night in West Virginia, which was at 40° Latitude north.

Carlos, would you consider teaching a very basic astronomy class to argentinaexpats.org?

• Carlos, would you consider teaching a very basic astronomy class to argentinaexpats.org?

Yes, but it could be boring. People are more interested nowadays in Netflix series, I guess.

As a boy, I was always interested in Astronomy, and my father purchased a telescope.- We enjoy seeing the heavens in our three months vacations in Cordoba, in the summer time. Several nights the heavens looked splendid, and even if the moon was absent, you could use the lights of the stars to walk surely in the middle of the night.

My first book was an American book, titled "Stars" and published by Simon & Schuster in 1951 in a series regarding nature called The Little Golden Books, especially for children.