Sexism and harassment in games

There are 3 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 735 times. The latest Post () was by SpaceNut.

• Official Post

Activision Blizzard employees walked out yesterday, protesting against sexism and harassment in the company and to be fair, the company hasn't handled the problem at all well.

Later, the CEO changed track and made statements to tackle the problem.

Whilst I don't condone this kind of behaviour in the industry which let's face it, has been dominated by men since the very beginning, the last paragraph of this BBC report rang a few alarm bells.

Mr Kotick (CEO) added that Activision's games criticised as being sexist, will also be removed following complaints from staff and gamers.

The reason this statement rang alarm bells with me is due to its cancel culture connotations. To which games is Mr Kotick referring? In many articles on this story, pictures of Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 3 (MW3) are shown - a game made in 2011, still retailing at $40 and up until 2013 had sold 26 million copies. I've played MW3 and try as I might, I can't find any sexism in the game at all. In fact there isn't even any sex portrayed. That's probably because it's a first person shooter set in a modern war.

I'll be following this story with interest because with anything related to cancel culture one has to be on one's guard.

Activision Blizzard staff walk out over harassment claims
    Employees of the company behind Call of Duty are angry over allegations of sexism and harassment.
    www.bbc.com

• If this cancel culture is extending into games the industry is fucked. It is an industry still largely propped up by teenage boys who simply do not give a shit about any of the causes regarding sexism, as noble as they might be. If you santizie the games and turn off the teenage boys, the industry will be gone within 10 years.

Also, what about GTA V?

• Official Post

If this cancel culture is extending into games the industry is fucked. It is an industry still largely propped up by teenage boys who simply do not give a shit about any of the causes regarding sexism, as noble as they might be. If you santizie the games and turn off the teenage boys, the industry will be gone within 10 years.

Also, what about GTA V?

Good point about GTA V. Is Rockstar about to remove it because some snowflakes don't understand the meaning of satire?

• If this cancel culture is extending into games the industry is fucked. It is an industry still largely propped up by teenage boys who simply do not give a shit about any of the causes regarding sexism, as noble as they might be. If you santizie the games and turn off the teenage boys, the industry will be gone within 10 years.

Also, what about GTA V?

A lot of the crap is down to toxic feminists. Yes there is sexism and discrimination, but it isn't as bad as some say there is

Rather recently, two men felt that they were discriminated when their boss use the words "obliterated" when describing the company's reputation because of their lack of diversity

Yet the gender pay gap allegedly is 45% in favour of women