There are 8 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,949 times. The latest Post () was by JAN.

• To help understand the term Antifa that is being tossed around so much this week, Dictionary.com sent this background info:

"Antifa is borrowed from the German Antifa, recorded in the 1930s. The German Antifa is shortened from Antifaschismus (“antifascism”) or antifaschistisch (“antifascist”). Antifa itself is recorded in English in the 1940s.

A notable antifascist movement emerged in the 1920s in opposition to the Italian fascist dictator Benito Mussolini. A German group—called Antifaschistische Aktion (“Antifascist Action”) and founded in 1932—was one of the first and most prominent organization to use the term in their name. Their logo features a red and black flag, imagery commonly used by Antifa groups today.

There is no one Antifa organization. Rather, the movement is made up of various groups and individuals united by their opposition to fascism, which is a” governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.” As an antifascist movement, Antifa especially targets people and groups that support the oppression of minority groups."

• To help understand the term Antifa that is being tossed around so much this week, Dictionary.com sent this background info:

"Antifa is borrowed from the German Antifa, recorded in the 1930s. The German Antifa is shortened from Antifaschismus (“antifascism”) or antifaschistisch (“antifascist”). Antifa itself is recorded in English in the 1940s.

A notable antifascist movement emerged in the 1920s in opposition to the Italian fascist dictator Benito Mussolini. A German group—called Antifaschistische Aktion (“Antifascist Action”) and founded in 1932—was one of the first and most prominent organization to use the term in their name. Their logo features a red and black flag, imagery commonly used by Antifa groups today.

There is no one Antifa organization. Rather, the movement is made up of various groups and individuals united by their opposition to fascism, which is a” governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.” As an antifascist movement, Antifa especially targets people and groups that support the oppression of minority groups."

Always like a good history lesson!!!!!

• Rice .....

In that case antifa is on the opposite of facism and racism......which also are not organizations!!!

All would be considered movements then and not organizations.

• Did someone say racism was an organization? Or fascism? I must have missed that.

White supremacists, Neo nazis, etc are members of organizations or people who share their beliefs. But their shared hatred itself is not an organization, by definition.

Why? Are you interested in joining any of these?

• Did someone say racism was an organization? Or fascism? I must have missed that.

White supremacists, Neo nazis, etc are members of organizations or people who share their beliefs. But their shared hatred itself is not an organization, by definition.

Why? Are you interested in joining any of these?

U are arguing that the movement of antifa have no organizations whatsoever..... exactly why cant u argue the same about racism and facism!

All the people that gathered to riot the last week did it via telepathy???

Ur last sentence I will just disregard, because I find it pathetic to come with such an comment......truly just around same level as throwing out a "why you hate xxx" or calling another person idiot or other swear words. But keep them coming to disclose your inner....

• you argued that way in the riots thread!!! And posting a Wikipedia definition, like that it's just another religion, shared by the whole world, with no boundaries whatsoever, is ridiculous.

Its a movement, as your own link saids, a movement, to confront racism or facism.

But of course with organizations.....(which you know acknowledge exists).

So antifa is an umbrella movement above many organizations sharing that believe......again exactly the same as racism or facism or any other -ism.

I did not in any post at any time say i hate blacks, I am racist, nazi, fascist or whatever. I could come up with many presumptions about you, but I cannot see why I would need to be so narrow minded and Box someone up like that. Beside that I found find it a quite low way of arguing.....

• @JAN , if you care to find a post where I ever said
    “U are arguing that the movement of antifa have no organizations whatsoever

then by all means, show it.

As for the rest of your verbiage, I became lost in the thicket.

Let me cut through the possible language gap and tell you succinctly what I was saying:

1. There are groups with their own agendas, not in the interest of racial harmony in the US, who are hiding behind peaceful protesters and should not be lumped in with them.

2. Although I do not support Antifa, I feel it is preposterous for the president of the USA to leap to the conclusion that the troublemakers are from the far left. We have had recent proof that the far right (e.g. Charlottesville) are blatantly active in their desire to divide the races, and for their racist chants, were rewarded by his calling them “very fine people.”

As for the thought that a person can’t be racist without saying he hates black people? Unbelievable. One’s attitudes ring out clearly from word choices, and say much more about a person than desired.

I’m not going to discuss this further with you, because as the overseer in Cool Hand Luke liked to say, What we have here is a failure to communicate.

• Rice we can continue in German, if that will Close the language gap.....or is it only Nazis speaking German....?

1. Yes there are individual groups secretly hiding inside other groups around and peaceful protests.....though I would say the minority would be white supremacists....

You also have the same happening by right wing demonstrations.....it's a common phenomenon.

2. When you have people, a lot, with antifa banners, T-shirts and and and, the first thought you would get, is that they belong to that group....... exactly as with someone carrying a swastica or KKK banner!

Antifa, have a looong track record of "peaceful" happenings.....all around the world......I can remember quite a few in Europe.....burning down hundreds of cars each time and rioting same was as now.

It's not their first protest.

I am critical towards many things.....but I do not carry tattoos, banners, or are part or affiliated with any really.

The riots that started a week ago was not an isolated incident but riots with millions of people around USA, costs of several billion and until now a death toll of close to ten innocent police offers or security people.......I hope it compensate enough for you for the death of an innocent black, high on meth, fentanyl, with prior cardiac problems and coronavirus, resisting arrest.

As I stated many times, I'm happy for you as an American citizen to final something good to happen and have the evil per Constitution elected president removed.

I hope you also then respect it when the right wing use the same tricks......

And finally, if you consider me a secret racist, I could not care less....I also have a clear picture as you....... actually quite a lot US expats in Argentina share the same believe...... enjoying the evil capitalism from their home Country, and taking advantage of the left wing semi dictatorship and it's advantages if you have a little money or pension.

To me it's double standards at its finest!