TV and smartphones are cheaper now, but the selection is still limited compared to Western countries

There are 2 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,720 times. The latest Post () was by serafina.

• Official Post

Today, in La Nación, an article proves that prices of TV sets and smartphones have dropped 25% in pesos in the last year. Add this to the exchange rate increase, and the convenience is even more - says LN.

While I had noticed (but never bothered to quantify) the phenomenon, it seems to me that the selection available cannot still compete with Western countries.

I haven't observed any new tech brand being sold, but I have been considering upgrading our TV sets. However, the pain of selling the old ones made me desist. Electronic items seem to attract the worst crowd possible and they are a lot of work to sell, with many technical questions to answer 'just for the sake of it' and the endless game of 'te sirven [ridicolous amount]' or 'llego hasta [ridicolous amount]'

4261w740q100.jpg

• Our apt has Cablevisión only in the living room. There is an ancient tv in the bedroom that we would gladly replace for our landlord if it, also, could receive Cablevisión channels, but we can't change his subscription. Otherwise, you could upgrade, we could upgrade, and the only remaining problem would be hauling a 30 kg tv down the street to donate it to the nearest charity.

An aside: in the US, charities no longer accept any TV older than 3 years. I guess people shopping for a cheap tv at a fería americana there are very particular about what they will buy for $10.

• Official Post

We have two TVs, one downstairs, connected to the Cablevisión box, and one upstairs, which we just use for Netflix since it is a smart TV. We have a cable outlet upstairs, as well, but the Cablevisión guy says that we need to upgrade our subscription and pay an extra to have cable upstairs.

Honestly, the reasoning behind this is not very clear to me: what is our cable upstairs for, then? I mean the physical outlet in the wall. It was installed on purpose because the little box lies outside of the wall (as opposed to inside of the wall).

We have another decoder by Cablevisión but it does nothing when connected upstairs. The CV guy says that thing about 'having to bring the signal upstairs' by paying extra, but I don't see why.

I hope our tech expert here can chime in and shed some light. Splinter?