Face masks

There are 42 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,447 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• That is completely outrageous, daniel . I hope they send you a follow-up survey so you can point out the obvious.

I had a doctor appointment this week, and I got an education in the process. A couple in the waiting room insisted on talking in loud voices, proclaiming that “they can’t make us wear masks; this is a free country!” I remember the same ignorant mantra from years ago, about seatbelts. How much more obvious, masks!

• An interesting result of masking: masks make it more difficult to recognize people we know. Instead of seeing and recognizing a face as a whole, we try to gather clues from hair, eyes, ears, and voice.

The word for true face blindness is prosopagnosia , a condition that affects about 1 person in 50. But when we are all wearing masks, we all seem to have prosopagnosia.

From the link below,

Authors at the University of Stirling in Scotland posted a similar study in June that also has not yet been through peer review. In that study, 138 adults completed online face-matching tests. When the scientists superimposed masks onto the faces, people performed worse — even when the faces belonged to familiar celebrities.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0…erringSource=articleShare