Posts from EJLarson in thread „Windows 10 - first impressions.“

I don't spend a lot of time defending Microsoft (none, actually - they've got lots of lawyers for that), but as someone who came to their world around the time of DOS 3.0, (support for 5.25" floppies!) I'll weigh in and say that, in general, I love Windows 10. Now I know that we are nearly three years down the road from your initial take in 2015, so my response is based on a whole lot of time and - yes, improvements by MS in the system as well as our familiarity curve having progressed considerably.

So, bottom line, Win10 is undoubtedly the best OS Microsoft has ever created. It's stable and is underpinned with useful functionality that we couldn't dream of just a few years ago - and they finally got security right, hallelujah! Having showered all this praise on the Dark Empire, now I'll slam them for the tone-deaf morons they are when it comes to user interface (which was really your point all along).

The Windows 8 catastrophe lingers. Their clumsy attempts to unify all operating systems for all devices resulted in the predictable one-size-fits-none compromises that such thinking is bound to produce. I do use Classic Windows Shell for to restore the Windows 7 desktop, and no, I shouldn't have to do that, but ... it's such a tiny thing that it doesn't even rise to the level of annoyance any more. So I love Windows 10 for its many virtues and forgive it its faults (finding where setting are hidden, as you mention, is one big one), but since Google remains our best friend (e.g., "Icon Size Settings for Windows 10 Desktop"), I forgive it its sins and bid it go forward to sin no more.