Posts from Semigoodlooking in thread „Corona Virus in Argentina“

Heard this morning from a work colleague of his that a doctor in Edinburgh, who had been fully vaccinated has come down with Covid 19.

This is the unfortunate reality of the situation when looking to open borders. Vaccines do not stop COVID spreading, they just stop the severity of it if you happen to get infected. It seems that the situation from day 1 is mostly unchanged... we have to decide eventually to live with this disease and open everything again, or live permanently in this new reality we have been in for 16 months.

My street is one way to get to a popular local park. Each night at 10pm, 11pm, or later I hear groups of teens walking past my house. They are not loud or anything, but they don't have masks and they shouldn't be out. Is it that hard for the police to drive streets at night to break up these groups and put real consequences on people found outside. But if you open your non-essential shop and serve people safely with precautions you will get into massive trouble. It shows why the lockdown will fail again and why hard working people have had enough.

My wife insists that people won't accept another full lockdown. I don't really agree because Argentina's version of not accepting is banging some pots. She says people are so concerned about their economic future that shutting businesses will allow the proverbial shit to hit the fan.

I have been alarmed by the recent spike in cases here, which was always going to happen as we approach colder months. Argentina is three months behind, so our major second (or is it third, I lose count) wave is now kicking in. I admit in recent months it's been easy to forget COVID even exists and live a relatively normal life of going out and doing what you want. However, I am concerend enough that I will start taking this more seriously again.

The latest noise is all social life will be locked down entirely, with businesses allowed to remain open, including schools. I think this defeats the purpose because surely only a total lockdown (like the UK) would work? I guess the government shares my wife's opinion that people just won't accept a total shutdown again.

If that's the case, I will be practicing my own little lockdown where I only go out for essentials. Problem is I have a kid going to school so he could bring it into the house on any day.

Falabella is one of the only stores I go in and don't think I am getting ripped off. I have found the prices to be equal to those in the US/Europe. When they have sales you can get good deals and the occasional bargain. My wife tells me Zara is similar.

While it stops clubs and bars, it doesn't really solve a problem. One of the biggest problems has been mass gatherings of teens in parks and the inability or lack of desire from police to break up these groups. Those teens and other people will simply go to the park earlier. Unless police are willing to go to war with these people in the parks and now on the beaches and remove them, the curfew is all for nothing.

OK!! And do you adhere to all safety precautions for COVID?

Nope, I am included in "people".

I think anyone who says they do may be lying. There's some guy on the other forum who I think is a good poster. However, he provided a list of all the precautions he takes and it is hilarious. He is either lying or spending all his day washing himself, his house, his clothes, his pets, etc.

Is it their lack of understanding of basic health procedure? Is it their unwillingness to follow rules? Or aren't they intellectually capable to grasp the health safety measures that are suggested from the Ministry of Health?

Maybe it is the counter narrative - weather true or not - that COVID is not that bad and being overblown, this will embolden many people. Then they also see governments breaking the rules of the lockdowns they demand people to adhere by. And also, some people are just unwilling to be X amount of months away from some family members/friends. Breaking the rules of lockdown is something we have seen across countries and not just Argentina, so maybe it's just something more deeply engrained in us as humans, such as being stubborn, an inherent need for social interaction, or both.

Quite so. The cat is very much out of the bag and where we live, it's a very popular cycling route by the river in Olivos and every single day fro the last couple of weeks, hundreds of cyclists have been riding past.

It used to be a weekend thing, but since those don't exist any more, it's every day because no one is working.

The mil had to come around yesterday for a virtual doc appointment and she needed our help. She's 83. Are they going to put her in prison?

Wouldn't it be you going to prison for hosting her?

My wife, me, and the two kids all have DNI's attached to my MIL's house, so I guess we could visit her place without much hassle. However, does that mean if someone erroneously reports us at our apartment, we will all go to jail for social gathering in a place that isn't our legal address (even though we lived her 6 years)?

By the way, it does piss me off that people are now openly disobeying stay at home measures. While this is frustrating and shows a lack of awareness, I think it is more demonstrative of the cat being out of the bag, so to speak. People are done with this lockdown and the government is scrambling to avoid having to address the economy on even terms, even if it includes threatening prison for having your grandmother around for mate.

Family renuions have not just been banned. They have been outlawed, and it's not just family renuions. If you are "caught" having someone in your house for a social visit then you face punishment of up to 2 years in prison. Some outlets report it is for 10 people but nowhere in the decree does it say this. Oh yes, this was done by decree, in other words on the whim of one person in an effort to control a population. Just some months ago the country when apeshit over a move to help older people by offering them to stay in doors and access a phone number for help they needed. Let's hope Argentine's attack this DNU with even more vigor because this is outright dangerous. Where else in the world is it illegal and punishable by prison to have someone in your house?

I think some people will think "well, if I have one person in my home, no-one will know, no-one will care, and the police probably can't even be arsed to enforce this".

From what I understand the police must respond to every complaint of this nature. Now, they may not push the letter of the law for that one person depending the situation, but is it worth the risk? I live in a building where they would know if I brought in just one guest and they would 100% report me. My brother in law was working on his motorcycle in his garage with the door open last week. A neighbour reported him and the Old Bill showed up. They told him they were embarrased to be there but they had to respond to all such reports. They also told him regrettably he had to close the door.

Either way, whether this "law" is followed by people or the police is besides the point, its very existence is an afront to democracy.