Corona Virus in Argentina

• Driving in traffic these days is a breeze!

They are talking about revoking permits AGAIN. I think the President might be holding a press conference tonight to announce AMBA going back to Phase 1. I really hope not because I will likely have to head to Microcentro to collect a document.

This show exactly the same stupidity as my example here from Tigre....

Assuming someone drive his car alone from a-b, they do not possess any risk...... what is the risk is the contact.....

So yes, I understand that a person from A can bring the virus with him to point B, but come-on....we are 6 months minimum into the spreading of the virus across Argentina.......to pretend it arrived today is just so stupid!

The really risk is big gatherings.....say where u have 100 people without any virus, and then an infected enters into same room and cough loudly spreading all his diseases.

I find it scary that people still believe the crap that is being delivered.

• I find it scary that people still believe the crap that is being delivered.

We are not the only one who are worried for the turn politics is taking right now. I think nobody is coming to save us, though.

Coronavirus: Mauricio Macri firmó una carta que alerta que "la democracia se encuentra amenazada"

La carta, organizada por el Instituto para la Democracia con sede en Estocolmo y publicada hoy, destaca que a raíz de la crisis, tanto los gobiernos autoritarios como los elegidos democráticamente en todo el mundo han utilizado poderes de emergencia para arrestar a los manifestantes y eludir las normas democráticas.
  • serafina ......I read an article on CNN today......a warning from earlier leaders and intellectuals, (not the intellectual from here hahaha), warning about how totalitarian leaders are taking advantage of the situation!!!!! Referring to many leaders, including Trump of course, but also others.

I think Argentina is a great example!

No logic behind anything here to be honest!

One question many ask: if Argentina us not ready now, after 3 months, to confront whatever rest of world have confronted and passed, when then?

In Italy it came as a surprise.....but we are in month 7 now.....

• So its back a couple of steps for all of us until 17th July.

I thought the shops would be very busy today , so I hung on until 5.15 . Went down to Coto . No lines at all and i was in and out in 15 minutes.

• I hope it was just bad editing by the BA Times, rather than Albie's repeating himself, saying 3 times 'I am not a fool...."

Is the government releasing statistics on which barrios have the increased number of cases?

• I hope it was just bad editing by the BA Times, rather than Albie's repeating himself, saying 3 times 'I am not a fool...."

Is the government releasing statistics on which barrios have the increased number of cases?

That would make sense but i haven't seen anything official .

The stats exist as the health authorities have them but Arg journalists are quite lazy and cant be bothered .

• That is the most specific information I've seen, GlasgowJohn . It is mind-boggling to see a very low number of cases in a barrio immediately adjacent to one with extremely high numbers. How does that work?

I can only imagine that the Villas are hemmed in by motorways , turnpikes and railway lines and thes act as barrier of some sort.

But the guys who live in the Villas spread it when they go out looking for work , etc

but they dont necessarily spread it to the adjacent barrio

• The conurbano barrios look good, for the most part. As does the city, except for the hot spots, which I would think should be strictly patrolled, to make sure people stayed indoors.

The US, UK, Brazil would love to have numbers like these.

• They're calling it 'operation dissuasion' and frankly it's a worrying development.

Like before, many access/egress roads to the main ring road, Grl Paz, will be closed off again and police will be patrolling with recorded messages through loudspeakers in order to make us aware, as if we didn't know already. Quite what they want to make us aware of isn't clear. Aware of Covid or aware of the fact that we may be arrested for exercising our liberty?

As of 27th June, the police have checked nearly 14 million people, detained or delayed more than 100,000, noted 10 million vehicles and impounded around 5000.

All permits to move around will need to be renewed and police controls are said to become much tougher.

They are also considering blocking SUBE cards for those who try to travel in an unauthorised manner.

If there's one thing successive Argentine governments have learned to do very well, it's to oppress its people through the police state and I'm just surprised that this is not being rejected or protested against.

• A practical question: Why is the first reflex to check motor traffic? Looking at the hot areas, I’m wondering how many people there have cars? If containment is the objective, wouldn’t resources be better used by making sure people there strictly observed the quarantine?

I’m thinking specifically of the UK’s response to the outsized number of cases in Leicester.

Today’s Sunday Times:

“The government is preparing to impose the first local lockdown within days following a surge in coronavirus cases in Leicester. Matt Hancock, the health secretary, has been examining the legislation required for the shutdown after it was revealed there have been 658 coronavirus cases in the Leicester area in the fortnight to June 16.“