Posts from Semigoodlooking in thread „Coronavirus around the world“

I had a cold a few weeks back and it was a stinker. Some of the stuff that came from my nose and throat was like from another planet. Still had to go about everyday life and I was surprised I was not burned at the stake by a mob thinking I had COVID.

Semigoodlooking

Like putting out a fire before it has even started!!!! I have had three jabs already for covid, when will enough be enough? This will turn into a yearly thing,

just like the flu shot, before all is said and done.

And I would be fine with that, if those yearly shots did allow for a normal way of life. It would certainly beat going into a lockdown every winter. Remember, what happens elsewhere during the COVID crisis comes to Argentina 3 to 6 months later. So, pay close attention to the UK and Europe because they show what will be happening here soon.

The media do love to hype disasters and potential disasters. But do you remember how we all dismissed covid 22 months ago? Jan was the only one saying the sky was about to fall, and he is generally very dramatic.

I am staking an arrogant claim here. I did not go against Jan and was calling for Chinese borders to be closed in February before the world woke up to this being a problem.

By the way, I am now going the other way and think we are making too much of a problem about it. That may just be fatigue, though.

In my house, I'm now being labelled paranoid for questioning numbers of people to invite for Adri's birthday next Saturday.

The youngster's attitude is, "I'm prepared to take the risk." And please don't question a millennial or worse still, become forceful in your arguments lest you be accused of aggression.

The fact is, if I hadn't forcefully questioned the bizarre 25 people plus birthday party, it would still be going ahead.

He's going to cancel you if you carry on arguing. Or call you racist, feminist, transphobic or something like that.

Seems a hospital visit by my father in law a couple of weeks back is what took down the immediate family here. Luckily, the worst sympton between any of them was a sore throat, even said father in law who is over 70 and with heart issues. I guess my wife and the other younger members fell into normal, but he got lucky to be without many symptoms. All already out of isolation now too.

So sorry that so many family members are COVID-positive, Semigoodlooking . I hope you and your two children can continue to avoid getting the virus, and that your wife and her family will continue to be without symptoms.

The more I learn about the lockdowns, especially the apparent fact that there wasn’t exactly universal compliance, the more I tend to share your skepticism.

Please keep us updated, and know that you have a concerned group of friends here on the forum.

Thanks Rice, I think it's safe to assume someone burst our social bubble :D.

I think if the goal posts keep moving, ie now 20 feet instead of 6, I will increasingly just take my chances. I think most people are coming around to that idea too. It's an interesting question, when does the world throw its hands up and say, we just move on with our lives, for better or for worse? I don't care about going out to eat, but if you cannot be within 20 feet of people, that could be trickly in just about every situation, unless your Batman:

Everyone in my immediate family got it so we have been dealing with that last 10 days. My wife, her sister and husband, their kids, her parents, and her brother. There was barely a symptom between the lot of them. Only ones not to get it were me and our two kids. Now, my wife has been isolated in a bedroom but even so, the idea of anywhere within 6 metes being infectious puts a lot of my apartment within that limit. Doctors tell me that I should not have another test unless I display symptoms. Fair enough, but surely there's a chance living with someone infected, albeit isolated, means I have caught during those 10 days and have been spreading it what I go out? It's all a mess and I am still not convinced the lockdowns have worked at all.

Debenhams has been on a sprial downwards for several years, closing locations, cutting staff, etc. I guess the COVID accelerated the situation, but not really by much. In fact, I think administration was looming over the company in January.

GlasgowJohn - As you say, there's something strange going on, and I am not really pointing to conspiracies or underplaying the virus. It's just seems weird that numbers are out of control according to the data, but there is so little evidence of it.

News is not reporting the front line, like happened in Italy and the UK (amoung others).

Where are the overflowing hospitals, the COVID wards that are bursting at the seams? If they exist, why don't we ever seen them?

I still don't know many people who have it, did have it, or have died from it. I want to be clear, I do know someone who died within a week and someone who recovered after a couple of weeks and is a shadow of the man he was before. Again, not doubting this virus exists or anything stupid like that. However, I am not hearing about mass cases as the numbers suggest.

Where are the families affected by lost loved ones, there's no coverage on it?

I find what's happening in Argentina puzzling to be honest. It would be nice if there was a level of press here that could probe and question to provide some answers. I

serafina - I wasn't doubting what happened in Italy, but more wondering why the coverage was so in-depth and not elsewhere. First major western nation badly affected and hit hard and fast are probably the reasons, but it was clear even Italy was ultimately not as bad as originally thought. The UK surpassed Italy just six weeks later in terms of deaths, and while COVID dominated the news agenda in the UK, it was never the kind of warzone reporting we saw from Italy.

An extended family member who has been a nurse for 40 years said it's the worst she has ever seen. But at the same time, I have other medical associations who say this has been the quietest year they can remember.

Throughout this pandemic, one of the big feelings has been this is not as bad as is being made out. Whether you agree with that or not, I think it's interesting to explore why this differing opinion exists. One clear reason could be that while COVID is killing tens of thousands in some countries, it is still not really killing "that many". What I mean is, tens of thousands are not that much when you spread them around a country. In other words, the chances of you knowing a large group of people who have it/died from it remains small. That number is not going to make a health system collapse, but it may make a ward dedicated to COVID patients look like a warzone.

Remember when this was all taking off and the coverage of Italy. It was as if the country was falling apart, images of hospitals like warzones, etc. I am not sure if that early coverage was over the top and Italy has bounced back fine, or whether the country was unique in that it was hit hard and fast.

Regarding why Italy gained so much attention (just weeks later the UK was beating Italy's numbers), I think it was when COVID was dominating the news cycle. It just seems the media has mostly moved on on a global level. However, I do find it interesting that in Argentina there is very little "front-line" coverage of what's going on. Are the hospitals overflowing, is the health system buckling? I don't know because the news does not report on the front line of the virus. Strange.

Yeah, I have my doubts about this too. Will see how it unfolds through the day for more verification. It would be ideal for him to get it now, do the whole 1 to weeks of having it, another two weeks for isolation, avoid the rest of the debates and be ready for the election.

Firstly, I presume you're an adult so I would prefer to engage with you in good faith. At the moment, that would require you to grow up a bit because your condesention and personal jibes say a lot about the information you are trying to pass on. Let me make it clear, and I am sure the others participating here will say the same. Not once in this debate have you angered me as this is a good conversation that I welcome because I am open to other perspectives. But clearly you are getting angered by responses if you resort to personal comments, while you are also showing you are not open.

Now, onto your post. You may be correct about deaths labelled incorrectly. However, is there undisputed proof of this happening in Sweden? For example, did you know around 1 in 3 deaths are lablled incorrectly even before COVID-19? In other words, putting the wrong thing on a death certificate is nothing new. For instance, we know this happens with pneumonia all the time even before the pandemic, probably not so much flu.

If I am not wearing a mask when I enter an elevator and I have COVID and cough all the way to the tenth floor, and when I get out someone enters immeadiately after with no mask. They are not more at risk than if I had coughed inside my mask?

I would have to see some data that shows wearing a mask for a living results in a dispropotionate amount of carbon dioxide deaths. Again, all the information points to this not being a risk. Again, why are motorcycle couriers not dropping dead? In fact, why are we not seeing a spate of carbon dioxide deaths in Argentina, where rules around wearing a mask are strict?

I did watch both links and found the information you are trying to sell to be disturbing. Although, not in the way you want me to be disturbed. I like that questions are asked and it is worth challenging norms. However, I don't buy into the conspiracy stuff you do, sorry. Not least because to what end would this mass organization of medical professionals, the scientific community, governments, frontline workers, and just people who have caught COVID be perpetrating this conspiracy? What's the end goal?

Perhaps I should ask my friend who got COVID-19, fell into a coma, and is now a completely changed man and looks like he will never be the same. I should ask him why he is participating in a grand conspiracy by pretending he had COVID and pretending to be asleep for 4 days.

It was left to spread in Sweden and the death rate was pretty much identical per 100 000 of population than everywhere that had lockdown.

The main spread of the virus was shown to be indoors amongst family groups after nursing homes which accounted for well over 50% of deaths in most countries . It is certainly clear that locking up the healthy was a mistake based on fear and an agenda.

Did you watch the links....I think they say it better than i can..

I know about Sweden, but you are not addressing the point. You compare COVID to flu, fair enough and maybe. However, where is the evidence this is just another flu? You say in a previous post that it kills the same amount of people. That's not true in perhaps the closest country we have where the virus was allowed to spread (Sweden did have restrictions btw). In Sweden, over 6,000 people have so far died from COVID, while only around 2,500-3,000 people die annualy from flu.

Like I say, you various posts raise some questions but there is at least a possibility that had all countries allowed COVID to simply spread without recourse then it would kill many more people than flu. Restrictions have arguably stopped that happening. I am not neccesarily disagreeing with you, just pointing out your flu/COVID comparisons are only based on speculation.

Regarding your unwillingness to accept when a source is discredited, again, fair enough. However, you say people should open their minds but when you have the chance to open yours when someone shows your source is discredited, you refuse to do so. You seem more set on your opinion and less open minded than anyone else here.

"Mask-wearing "activates the virus," continually re-infects the wearer, and risks killing the wearer via carbon dioxide"

I cannot get my head around the logic of this. How could it activate the virus, which suggests it is dormant on the mask and is then activated. I don't get it. I also don't get the link to carbon dioxide poisning, is that possible? Wouldn't people who wear close-faced helmets daily for hours be at risk from this too? Motorcycly courier (watch out splinter, mask and helmet), welders, etc.

Although, I would like to see the mask wearing ease off a bit. I get it when entering a public place (apartment building, elevator, bus, supermarket), but when I am walking around the streets I never walk close to people, COVID or not, so honestly I have gone to lowering my mask. I don't live in a busy neighborhood and often when walking around I may be the only person on a block.

You present a good argument hairyscotsman, it’s nice to have another perspective.

However, re death rates and virus potency against flu you still don’t address one fundamental difference. The lockdown itself. We still do not know how deadly in comparison to flu COVID 19 would be if left to simply spread without restriction. It could be more deadly than flu, as the evidence in Sweden suggests, but it could be as deadly.

Clearly this is not some super virus in terms of mortality that it was sold as, but without all data, assertions it is just as deadly as flu don’t mean much. Maybe coming years will tell us the full story. I think COVID is here to stay and may become seasonal. If in future years we don’t go into a meltdown over it, we will maybe see how it compares to the flu.

Sweden never had zero measures. It took many less actions than most, but still had some restrictions. For example, bars and restaurants becoming table-only service, gatherings limited to 50 people, and some travel limits.

https://www.government.se/gove…responsible-for-covid-19/

I mean a test tube case where a country would do nothing, just treat it like another flu season and ignore it completely. What would have happened? It would be interesting to see how comparisons with flu would look under such a scenario. My belief is COVID is more infectious, but I am not entirely sure it is much more deadly.

Let's take Sweden, though, as the nearest to the hypothetical above. The country has had around 88,000 cases and around 6,000 deaths. As always with COVID, I think the number of cases must be much higher because it does not account for asymptomatic, but let's go with the official data. So, the question is, have more than 88,000 people caught flu in Sweden this year, and has flu killed more than 6,000 of them?

Well, no is probably the answer because WHO says 2,700 Swede's died of flu in 2019. So, at least in Sweden, COVID is showing itself to be more deadly than the flu. Is the difference between 2,700 and 8,000 deaths (estimating end-of-year rate) enough to suggest Sweden should have gone into deep restrictions like other countries? I am not sure and like other things related to COVID, how it has spread is so strange. Why did it kill tens of thousands in some countries with deep restrictions (UK, Italy, Argentina), but only be relatively comparable to flu in the likes of Sweden?

There's no doubt that so far COVID deaths are not reaching the global death levels of flu, annualy.

The only problem here is we just don't know what would have happened without lockdown's, restrictions, travel bans, masks, etc. It is likely that the reason COVID has not been as deadly as flu is because of those measures. Without them, who knows, we could already be looking at a death toll of millions.

Problem is, we will never know if this was the case. In reality, we needed just the one country that said no to any measures whatsoever. A sort of testing ground for what COVID could do if it was simply left to run rampant through a population.