Posts from serafina in thread „Why are you an expat?“

Yes I have decided to settle here in 2 to 3 months

Welcome! My suggestions is: pack lightly but bring plenty of good clothes and underwear/socks/shoes.

I’d also rent something furnished on vrbo o Airbnb to start with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hola, ¿lo tenés? and then they disappear!!!! :cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

What a waste of time dealing with locals. And for petty money...

I am on a group on FB called 'Agenda amiga' where people ask for suggestions on where to find specific services/product and people share their experiences/recommendations. 95% of the people are just concerned with price and are basically accusing of theft anybody who charges more than a pittance.

Most messages are like: busco XXX, no hace falta que sea profesional / busco XXX que no me mate con el precio / me recomiendas profe de inglés que venga a mi domicilio en Mataderos y no me afane? / me recomiendan XXXX que no me estafe? La última vez fui a un local en XXX y me cobraron YY. Un robo!

Yesterday someone was sharing their experience with an appliance repairman. The guy went to their place and asked 500 pesos for the consultation because he had to go there (the issue was with a fridge), and quoted separately the repair. The lady who wrote about it, described the experience as 'Me sentí estafada' WTF?!

Then they are surprised if they have to work three jobs to get food on the table...:pinched-fingers2: :asswave:

Oh, but it's the yankee and capitalism fault...

Would you ever consider moving back to Italy serafina ?

Italy is a beautiful country, but:
    1) The general attitude of people is very arrogant and aggressive. I was in a constant fight mode when I lived there.
    2) Taxes are very high, upward of 50%. I couldn't sustain myself with such high taxation. Sometimes they try to do a 'lighter' taxation for small freelancers, except that it lasts for 2-3 years and with limitation (such as: up to 35 y.o. or can be enrolled in the simplified tax bracket for max 2-3 years).

3) Pensions are forecasted to be so low, that they are really close to the minimal state-pension. So why work, at all?!

When I visit it now, I get home-sick for weeks afterwards, but I keep telling myself that I was just a tourist and try to remember how was life when I lived there.

I loved being close to everything in Europe, though. And I am also a fond European-ist. But Americas (north and south) are much more dynamics, flexibles, and sometimes unrefined-ness that allow them to be lively.

Of the US, I liked the effectiveness, the straightforwardness, the certainty but I never felt 'at home'. I couldn't relate with most people I saw, and the social interactions I had felt 'rehearsed' borderline- fake.

In Argentina, I felt like slipping into an old slipper even if I had never been here. It reminded be of Italy in the 70-80's (well, I was born in the '80s so I can't really remember the '70s, it's my idea of the 70's). However, in the long-run I realized that mentality here is also stuck to the '70-80s. Economic theories and measures being discussed here as 'chance for the future' have already been tried and tested abroad. Yet, they'd be a breakthrough in Argentina. Commodities that are given for granted in Europe, here are unheard of and so mentally distant from the current reality, that they seem a fantasy and are not even sought-after.

For my current line of business I hang on a couple of FB group: one of mostly US people and one of mostly Argentinian people. In the US group, there are step-by-step guides, video tutorial, tutoring program, moderation, people ask questions according to rules. They plan ahead of months, if not years, are structured, organized, do their homework and contact you privately only if they are about to decide on something.

In the Argentinian FB group, every single day there are at least 5 people asking questions whose answers can be found on Google. The same questions get asked over and over. Nobody ever thought to make a guide. If you link a guide in English, they'll admonish you because 'not all people have the privilege of being native English speakers' (WTF, neither do I...)

Their writing skills are very poor, with mistakes in basic vocabulary. Their way to articulate request is also very rudimental. They seem to have a very chaotic perception of reality, like my cat...

The people on the Argentinian FB group never research a topic before posting - they are lazy and want a customized answer and someone else doing the research for them. They are quickly irritable if they don't get what they want (often, they do not research enough and/or do not understand what they are being told/what they have found). They never plan ahead, and have a weird way to 'organize' their business (for example: they first book a plane and then realize they don't have a passport, then cuss the system for not providing a passport on the spot, possibly sent to their door, and for free - seriously?!). Every time they need a paid service, they think it's theft and it should be free. They always go for the cheapest option, try to copy/skip corners. They have no respect of procedures and authority and are in a constant victim-mindset.

They are not aware of basic business practice, and due to this mentality they have they scream 'SCAM' to anything or anybody they cannot understand. They are very quickly in going full blown against something or someone, it's either they shut up about it or use the most 'lively' words to talk about it. They have no knowledge of the word 'libel' or 'scratching someone' or their consequences, not 'ethic' or ethical business practice. It looks like I've described an autistic person...

The difference is abysmal and the more I stay on that group, the least I think of Argentinians.

I'll be the outsider and say 'because of a man' :D

Just kiddin', that wouldn't be true. I am here because of a woman, too, and it's me.

It was me who pushed to come live here, and my husband was reluctant. Now he's glued to his country permanently.