Posts from aficionado in thread „In the garden“

We have several all grown from seed. First one is around 15 years old and about 10 metres tall. It hasn't fruited at all well this year.

Impressive to have grown a full tree from seed. Nice to have those even with a lower yield crop.

The avocados are starting to fall. Picked these ones off the ground this morning before the dogs got 'em.

20240411-110715.jpg

They look perfect. An Avocado tree must be great to contribute to meals. It was already there, or you planted?

Yeah, Tuna is what they called it in Mendoza, though I never knew anyone who had harvested or ate. Maybe friend-of-a-friend references. Would be fun to try it on the parrilla. Interesting to know it is common in Italy too,

Will they last for a day, only, like those of my astrophitum?

They seemed to last a 2-3 days, closing each night. The bees really dig in and stay for a minute or more until they are done. I believe these are Prickly Pear cactus, which have edible fruit which is right under where the bloom falls off. I am tempted to try. Though it is work to avoid the big thorns, as well as the mini invisible thorns.

Prickly Pears Drive Local Development in Northern Argentina
    CORZUELA, Argentina, May 23 (IPS) - Family farmers in the northern Argentine province of Chaco are gaining a new appreciation of the common prickly pear…
    www.globalissues.org

Jacarandas are in full bloom.

A great time of year in Buenos Aires to see those colorful trees.

could I ask what country or what general planting zone you live in?

In the interior of Argentina. Cold enough with occasional frost to kill some plants, but not all types. More dry than humid. Hot often in summer, though ok in the shade except for the worst days. Not sure what planting zone it is called.

This Oklahoma garden I could relate to when growing the Rose Campion. Similar now, since the seeds were first dropped 3-4 years ago

We have that too, but call it lamb’s ears

From what I have read in past, lambs ear is different, though both have similar “wooly” ground level leaves. They say it is reasonable to mix the two up. Different stalks and flowers though. Types of plants that have that green grey wool leaf indicate they do well in dry places. Too much water has killed some of ours in the past. The stalks and flowers disappear in winter so bit boring, though still they cover the dirt.

The video of ladybug larvae eating aphid

https://pixabay.com/videos/larvae-nature-aphids-insect-plant-187278/

Wow - - video, please

I was unable to figure out how to upload video. A made smaller and tweaked, but still no luck. Waiting to see if pixabay will approve my upload. I’m sure I have other ideas, just not at the moment. Any tips?

At least that is what I have experienced when paying attention to our Scabiosa flowers.

I took pic and video larvae that hatch few days after the eggs are seen. They look like little monsters eating aphids in this video. Later when they are pupae they still look very different than ladybugs. At first I almost killed eggs and the others. This is what I read last year, since before that I had no knowledge of this.

Indeed. In frustration, yesterday I cut off a lot of aphids-infested branches as they were invading neighboring plants.

Cutting off the infested branches does work. Need to encourage lady bugs to then all live in equilibrium. The ladybugs will eat the aphids. Later the little ladybug eggs are left on the leaves. Once they hatch they need aphids to be there as food. At least that is what I have experienced when paying attention to our Scabiosa flowers.