In the garden

• Now that spring has arrived, I've put a bit more effort into our little front garden and planned it a little better this time.

Ferns are nice in the shady bits and I put azalea where some sun gets in because they are pretty tough. If it's not cats, it's ants.

I also put some mint and other herbs in for a nice fragrance in the evenings.

Gardening is one of life's real pleasures.

• Bravo! Great start. By next month they’ll have filled in and you’ll have a lush little garden!

I’m late in planting our tiny terrazza pot garden. Can’t wait to be surrounded by lavanda and albahaca.

One time we were walking through an off the beaten path neighborhood in Hawaii, and started smelling delicious mint. In front of us was a house whose entire lawn was planted in mint instead of grass!

• I'm like u......love the garden.....but it's still quite a mess.......great climate here, but really hard to keep garden.......seems like the stuff grow outrageous.......last year I planted a lot tomato plants....got 50 different sorts......ended up being a total mess at the end, they grow like crazy and I couldn't keep them lean and simple. So this year I put them in pots in center of garden, to have access to them 360 degree around and be able to move them in less sunny place f.ex.

Rice .....u give me great idea.....buy a ton of rosemary, thyme and and and....put them all around garden for the smell....

Another plant that I love smell of: pot......and I'm a non smoker of that.....but the smell is great, and they give a lot of smell.....

• Bravo! Great start. By next month they’ll have filled in and you’ll have a lush little garden!

I’m late in planting our tiny terrazza pot garden. Can’t wait to be surrounded by lavanda and albahaca.

One time we were walking through an off the beaten path neighborhood in Hawaii, and started smelling delicious mint. In front of us was a house whose entire lawn was planted in mint instead of grass!

We have overgrown mint - would you like some? I'll have to shed at some point, anyway!

I bought it for you sensory garden for cats, but Serafina is not very interested. I planted also catnip (nepeta cataria) which is also of the mint family, but after the first enthusiasm, again no interest from Serafina.

The catnip did not grow as much as this mint, which is know as Menta italiana. Curiously enough, I can't remember having ever seen it in Italy.

It is stronger than peppermint and spearmint, which are the usual mint used for cooking. Still, a nice addition to salads for a fresh touch.

We also have overgrown thyme if you want some of that, too!

I am happy to extend the offer to Splinter and the rest of the forum members. I am in Palermo Soho.

71651426_626169944584502_1903867515218427904_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQn5cX615Y8sAMr_dKBlJlx2mo2iKeNm_-AwxmiibEzISdvu36uAVvOmd6yYlyzzjaEVoyxIKjxz6YH9swahOKIr&_nc_ht=scontent.faep5-1.fna&oh=f3160256b3082efef8797c2663c48804&oe=5E2AF2EA71584593_2364819520439572_7316984269186793472_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_oc=AQm6Dn9m_oqKwpjKslKThgjQ7ROoNxx0bWtPPrWfPgH2MncYL3U1vNR6Qff6QHQaeV6fD7tkaolxkzR0cOE9rjSJ&_nc_ht=scontent.faep5-1.fna&oh=5c867c1e78aa0a6e142d0dcf69fdf017&oe=5E2619F7

• Yes! I would love to try some of both, thank you! I’ve never heard of your variety of mint, and it sounds delicious.

Growing up in a family of Belgian cooks, my husband misses his thyme. He will be delighted!

I just bought albahaca and am rooting it. Glad to share -

• Looks great Splinter. :thumbup:

My wife is gardening mad. Most of my working life was spent in horticulture so the last thing I want to do in my latter years is to garden which drives her mad. I'll willingly cut the grass but have to be pushed into doing other tasks. She planted some azaleas. I told her they wouldn't do well and they haven't.

• Azaleas are rain and acid lovers hence why they grow so well in Scotland. Splinter has the right idea in having them in pots. That way you can give them more attention.

My wife and mother in law are sucked when they see flowering plants at a garden centre. I just stand back, shake my head and keep my mouth shut. ^^