Posts from Carlos in thread „Outstanding military figures“

I recall having read something about 5 or 6 observers being invited to see things in Vietnam. Let me check my library.

Yes, observers could be invited, but only to see, not to advise. Guerrilla warfare here began in 1969 onwards. What is true that during the military intervention 1976-1983, we received

advice of the right wing French who practised a cruel retaliation to the Argelia independists, particularly General Raoul Salan. Their lessons were well understood.

The post 1950 buildings in England, especially near London, were very criticized by Prince Charles, of Wales. He was right, but among the intellectuals

Prince Charles was the black hat cowboy. I agree with Prince Charles.

As regards Paris, the harmony of the regular blocks and facades of the city, prescribed by the Baron Haussmann, and the several interactions between parks,

monuments and the River Seine, are a brilliant example of the good sides of our western civilizations. Surely Von Choltitz, despite his former allegiance with Hitler,

have carefully thought about his decision to keep Paris as it is,

Another outstanding military figure is General Mac Arthur, who was the Víctor over Japan in WWII. Then he became governor of Japan, under the Emperor Hirohito

that was allowed to exercise his title under the terms of the armistice of 1945.

But he acted with generous magnanimity, helping to restore Japan from the war destruction and developing its economy, at the point to compete

with the US car industry.

Normally the victorious chiefs take revenge on those who lose the war. This is a clear proof of the wise thinking of Winston Churchill:

In war, Resolution: in defeat, Dignity: in victory, Magnanimity

Perhaps this is completely unpolitically correct, but I would like to remember the wise attitude of the german general Von Choltitz, who dared to disobey the

explicit orders from Hitler to destroy Paris. He was conscious that if he did that, the story will remember him like Atila, a typical Barbarian.

Another controversial case is the Austrian marshal Radetzky von Radetz, who fought against the French who tried to wipe out the Austrian in Milan, but before this

he was an excellent governor of the city. The city was the capital of the former Kingdom of Lombardy-Venice from 1815 to 1859. No other reign, among the

various states at that time in Italy, was so well administered and prosperous in all Italy.