Posts from Semigoodlooking in thread „Jokes and funny videos“

Very good point, Semigoodlooking . I really think people who miss the point, like the woman your Father In Law encountered, are in a very small minority, don’t you?

I remember years ago, when a British woman named Ellen Cooperman obtained a legal name change to Ellen Cooperperson.

I think they are in a minority yes and it's just common sense that these people seem to lack. I think this group is becoming increasingly loud and annoying, while also being incredibly entitled. I don't think they represent feminism, but admit I am hardly equipped to define what feminism is or should be. It just seems people are not using healthy viewpoints, instead it all leads to ruin.

Yeah everywoman is equal or better than men until there's a bump in the night or you need to change a tire lol

I am not saying that.

My point is, the fight should be for true equality, which I think really means equal respect. However, that is not what the current fight is about, it is instead about defeating men and looking for a winner. I just think it misses the opportunity to explore the role of women and men in modern culture.

My father-in-law was telling me he was at the vegetable shop leaving with loads of bags. A woman approached from the other side of the door to enter. Because he needed to walk sideways out to wrestle the bags through the door, he said "come through the door senora". The woman got offended that he presumed he had the right to order her through the door. He got instantly angry told he to shove it and burshed passed her. He was making way for her for practical reasons more than macho domineering man reasons.

I guess now you either don't hold the door, or you have to say "would you like to enter before me, but if you do not I completely respect your decision as an independent and equal woman. But if you don't identify as a woman, I am also happy to call you by whatever pronoun you choose"

While it remains a minority push, the crusade some women are on to not demand equality but to actually defeat men is going to backfire spectaculalry. What a dumb society we have created over the last 20 years.

See, that's a good example.

Even in the 1990s Alf Garnett was viewed as a dinosaur. I find it painfully unfunny and always did, I also find it offensive. That's opinion but what I don't want is to pretend like it never existed. You know what I do because I find it offensive? I don't watch it. I also don't want any TV network to be bullied into never showing it again. It did exist, it was of its time and that's how it should be remembered.

Try as some groups may, they simply cannot erase things from existence. Only Fools and Horses became popular because it showed a larger than life protrayal of benefit-class society in during the 80s and into the 90s. Is some of it problematic now? Sure, some of those jokes or attitudes don't work today, but I never understand why this is a problem. It's like these people forget that something is of its time and of its place. Besides, Only Fools was not massive because it made some insensistive jokes, ultimately it was just a very tightly written sitcom with excellent set pieces, at least at its best. If I were to watch today, and I remember enough of it, those jokes that may push the boundaries just wouldn't be funny to me anymore. Fine, but that does not mean remove it from ever existing.

I mean I doubt there's a show that exists from the 80s and 90s that stands up to the scrutiny, and forget about the 60s and 70s. Every show from those decades, and plenty into the 2000s will all need to be cancelled. Even something like "Queer As Folk," which did a lot to bring subjects of gay culture into the mainstream.

What does this amount to? Are we now to assume that every piece of artistic content made in 2020 will automatically need to be cancelled by 2040 because over the next 20 years attitudes will evolve? Are these people trying to reduce art to only the here and now?

Like most things with the woke culture movement, it breaks down on a basis of logic. Luckily for them, they abhor logic and common sense so can brush it off and look for the next TV shows to target.

Blackadder was probably the best example of his style of humour.

Mr. Bean was, of course, more popular globally. Earlier episodes are excellent. Even if you do not find it funny, it is fascinating and many make the mistake of believing it's childish. He probably got closest to the silent film era than any other actor since that time. I am surprised some have not seen or even heard of Mr. Bean.

Johnny English is a strange one. On the one hand I can say it should be painfully unfunny and more jokes miss than land. But, for some reason Atkinson is charming enough and it's silly enough that I chuckled my way through the two I have seen.