Posts from serafina in thread „Argentina elections 2019“

It's just confusing to see a overweight arguing over starving.....(unless it's the 1% that might be sick or have genetic complications).

In one of the documentaries on food available on Netflix (specifically, about food served in schools in the US) it stated that now the poor in the US are all overweight because they cannot afford healthy food.

I don't think we can use the same rationale to explain overweight 'poor' people in Argentina, though, given that fast food here is more expensive than a parrilla.

Recently I was contacted by a client in the States. Since this client needed a webinar in Spanish, we had a couple of videochats where we talked about ourselves. It turns out this client is from Venezuela, where said client was a University teacher at the Chemistry or Pharmaceutical faculty, and run a successful company, had a good lifestyle etc.

One day, military men came there and made it impossible and unsafe for the client to stay. They installed their own men in the client's premises. This client lost it all. Fled to the US and is now trying to start again what they had in Venezuela. This client - whoc ould be my parents' age - lives in a rented room in a basement, with all their belonging clearly visible in the background. This client is trying to make-do with small jobs to try to launch their business again. I felt ashamed just to ask for money for my webinar!

When I told about this to my aunt in Italy (the Italian government supports Maduro!!!), she said 'It is not clear what's going on in Venezuela from this far, but people are fleeing the country and that says enough!'. I couldn't agree more!

I was too ashamed to tell my client that in Argentina there are people supporting Maduro and at the same time thousands of Venezuela coming to Buenos Aires. Time to set up a work-life exchange; those in favor of Maduro, board a plane to Venezuela, bring the former Queen of Hearts with you and never come back! PSSSS! I heard the beaches are better in Venezuela!

Recently we visited an Imported Indian Craft business in Recoleta and they said that they were discontinuing some items because they were harder to import and due to the crisis, sales had decreased.

I was surprised to hear that importing goods was harder than before.

By the way, anybody on the forum has experience/contacts to import supplements in Argentina? I mean commercial import, not for personal use.

And talking bout coffee.....I'm quite critical with that, and have a top Italian coffee maker.....just read that coffee is at all time low at the moment.....but the cheapest grains in the supermarket is around 1000 pesos, 20 euros......in Europe I would buy for say 6 euros.....so in Europe, 12.000 km away, coffee is less than a third of here....Columbian and Brazilian Bean's.....wtf??????

I gave up! There are some recommended bean places in Palermo (like Coffee Lab - http://www.labcafe.com.ar/) but they are utterly expensive for daily use.

A small 250 g bag is about 15 USD at Coffee Lab! Which was more than the imported Illy found at Jumbo.
    Last time I bought beans at Coffee Lab I kept them as a savory treat, but I drink the violet ground Cabrales in my daily coffee routine or I would be bankrupt.

7790550001246-300x300.jpg

Yikes, Splinter! Not encouraging at all.

When I cast my first vote I was 18 y.o. and I gave my vote to the Communist party. Not because I chose to, but because it was the only party that 'spoke' to me before elections, as there were many young leftist students in my high school (I don't know now, but back then there were just leftist groups in school, and right young people were not 'organized' in a group unless they were hooligans or nationalists, but back then it was not in fashion to be of extreme right so their presence was almost hidden).

Many parties ignore the youngsters and fail to speak to them. I think Macri speak too much business and too little to commoners. Most people voting Macri are simply non-Ks. That's his strategy when he decided to run with a Peronist: He against the Ks.

His posters are terrible - seriously... taking selfies with people does make you a good president? People are taking selfies with dead animals, nowadays.

Semigoodlooking ...

Hahahaha..... incredible!!!

I travel through the city 4 times per day, 200 km in total, always the full stretch of 9. Julio included.....the amount of panuele Verde is incredible....the left wing, Bregman, Cano have managed to totally brainwash them...they now feel they are very important and that they are behind a huge breakthrough....its funny why this abortion thing is suddenly so important, years back it was never that a big issue......it tend to b the same dumb birds that participate in all the events, Maldonado, abortion and and and. The women's liberation fight and all that stuff was decades ago, but suddenly it arrived here....together with the Videorecorder and compact disc... hahahaha....!

I try no to look at the birds when I drive on 9. Julio, because it really scares me that those are entitled to vote in the election of the adults!

My husband thinks the same as you. They don't have autonomous ideas. They buy the whole packet: if you are pro abortion, you must be pro Maldonado, a feminist, and speak using what they call 'lenguaje inclusivo' (aka beating the crap out of Spanish) and be a vegan.

One of the things I hate the most here, is that you go to a vegan fair and there are murales/posters asking for justice and revenge for Maldonado. I think the guy was a stupid who went with the wrong company and they (his newly found 'friends') left him to freeze to death in a river. I just want to eat meat & dairy free food. I don't see a link between what I eat and Maldonado or abortion or my political ideas.

In Mar del Plata there is no such connection at vegan fairs. They are held in cultural centres where they promote arts and wellbeing, with no political connection, or in a public library on Sunday (when the library is closed). I feel no pressure and I like to go there. But in Capital, I hate it and after the third time I gave up. I did not feel at ease there!

They also don't get that it is bad for business to showcase your political affiliations or opinion on important topics. But the Argentines' interest for business is close to none, as we can see!

The assumption of Cristina in her last speech about her possible sex affair with the late Manuel Belgrano shows her lack of sense of respect to our historical heroes.

Imagine Mrs. Angela Merkel telling the people that she would like to have an affair with Bismarck?

I am ashamed and concerned about the applause of the people gathered in that meeting.

Welcome back, Mr. Carlos !

I was too shocked and found it distasteful, to say the least.

Who is interested on who she would have had an affair with, anyway? X/

Macri has chosen Miguel Pichetto as his vice-presidential running mate in the elections, which is a very shrewd move since Pichetto is practically leader of the house and a Peronist (PJ) to boot.

He also wields a lot of power on the senatorial voting in the senate, for stripping immunities for example. CFK, anyone?

The game is on.

Pass the pop-corn, Splinter !

Macri was the first non-Peronist president in almost a century. The Peronism crippled the country.

I have not enough knowledge to be able to fully analyze his government, but at least it didn't make me laugh like the previous one, which to me looked like a teenage party.

I wish there were more 'outsiders' like us laughing to the face of Peronists as many Argentinian aren't able to appreciate the ridiculousness of their doings and behaviors.

I think it is no longer compulsory, you know?
    My husband said he had to justify why he didn’t vote while he was in Italy, but then he no longer had to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you, Rice. Inflation is the benchmark for wellness for most people here.

Personally, I think he needs to open the borders and lessen the bureaucracy for freelancers (of course, because I have a personal interest into this). Can you believe that working for a customer outside of Argentina is considered exporting a service and you need a separate form of invoicing? Invoicing also needs to be done on AFIP website and once invoices the money must come into the bank in Argentina, and banks charge what they want. Oh, and if you want to keep the money abroad you have to pay a similar amount... but at least you won’t risk having the money converts to pesos overnight.

Compared to the US way of freelancing, this is worse than Italy (same bureaucracy, but at least you can get the money in your bank account with no hassle)

https://medium.com/@j0an/c%C3%…notributista-78d1951d5215

Macri today announced that children subsidies will rise 46% this month. Why is he playing the populist card? He won’t be able to win over Cristina’s electorate anyway, but he will be surely losing his own.

https://www.facebook.com/202854349739523/posts/2324601894231414?sfns=xmo

My husband is growing on José Luis Espert (more info here). He is an economist and is running as an independent candidate. I think that politics is, nowadays, a strongly bipolar system. My husband is explaining me that the first round of election has no consequence on the final results. We will vote twice (or thrice in case of ballot) anyway.

I don't see the point in having to vote twice just to 'test the ground'. Making an election is very expensive, making a fake one is pointless.

Maybe Carlos can explain the reason of two votes.

Another kudos for Vidal here. She seems a Iron Lady but she hasn’t much pedigree and much of an important family behind her. Not sure Cambiemos would be willing to pass on the torch to her, yet.

These will be my first voting elections in Argentina, and I am very happy to cast my vote.