Posts from serafina in thread „I bought two Smart TVs on Wednesday!“

If I could find a way to go Internet only, I surely would.

In San Isidro we had Cablevisión Internet only. It was the only reliable service out there (Arnet was choked). Never had TV before moving to Capital. Our place was a tourist rental before and so there was the full Telecentro package with CNN and BBC, but we don't watch TV and so we will cancel the TV service.

Smart TV prices have gone down here, in USD value. I have been fancying to upgrade our TV sets but the pain of selling the old ones (always seem to attract the wrong crowd of buyers) has made me desist.

We have a 42" Philips (not smart) about ten years old, which we inherited, and a 32" smart Philips, which came with the house.

With the bigger TV, we had to plug an Apple TV so that we can watch Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime. We have Telecentro and their box comes with a remote which has a button for Netflix. Apparently, if you subscribe to one of their TV packages you get direct access to Netflix with their offer, so you can simply push the white and red button that reads Netflix on the Telecentro remote.

We don't need TV service anymore, but every time we tried to call it to cancel they offered more free months. I think we are up to 3 or 4 months now. Anyway, we have moved the TV on the other side of the room where there is no TV cable outlet, so... The Cablevision 'smart' box was quite stiff at times, so that the Netflix button sometimes didn't work and the Apple TV was faster anyway. The Apple TV runs smoothly and recently Amazon Prime appeared, but it runs slower than Netflix (the browsing, the streaming is the same).

With the smaller smart TV we have direct access to Netflix but not to Amazon Prime. Our TV model runs on a proprietary Philips OS and they haven't made an Amazon Prime app yet. Newer models run on Android and you can install any kind of app. SO if I want Amazon Prime I need to buy Amazon Fire, but it doesn't carry YouTube because it is owned by their competitor Google. Chromecast by Google carries YouTube, but I wonder if they carry Amazon Prime.

Anyway, the smaller Philips sometimes crashes, but I think it is because the WiFi coverage upstairs is not that good.