Posts from EJLarson in thread „I bought two Smart TVs on Wednesday!“

Did they give you some free ice cream as a bonus?

I suppose it's fair to say that TV speakers aren't the best. In fact the other night I was watching Gladiator on Netflix and the dialogue wasn't clear at all, with all the other sounds being very much louder.

I'll be buying a soundbar during our trip to the UK in August then :)

Oh, yes, I should have said that the bars are always a significant upgrade from the TV speakers.

Can’t help with the channel control issue because every attempt I’ve ever made at unifying all control in one remote has ended badly. I resign myself to having a caddy full of controllers handy.

Yes, I do use sound bars and I like them (currently have three). I was once an extremely demanding audiophile (Dual turntable with Shure 0.5 mm stylus, Harmon-Kardon 120-W amp, AR3-a speakers, etc.). Over the years my standards have coalesced to “sounds okay.” Yet it still has to truly sound okay. A good sound bar does, and if you like action movies a lot, then a sound bar with a subwoofer is a good choice. Personally, if it accurately plays my music I don’t need realistic compacting metal sounds when cars crash or interstellar explosions during alien invasions.

I’m supposed to be the in-house tech expert, but my wife is usually way ahead of me because she actively searches out The Latest Thing. Our Texas house is large: we get lots of guests, and we have a true theater room (stepped floor, plush reclining seats, and a 75-inch Sony smart TV). The guest bedrooms, master bedroom, and wife’s office have TVs, all smart. In our BsAs home there are three smart TVs too, so yeah, I think I know a bit about them.

As you say, they are amazing. With today’s plethora of streaming services, they are fast becoming necessities for those of us who are now too spoiled to even consider watching things that are only available at certain times with commercials.

The setups can seem fiddly at first, but after one or two things become easier. And if your shiny new box doesn’t support something you want, you can always hang a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick on an open HDMI port, and away you go.

The future has arrived.