Posts from Splinter in thread „US diplomacy up in flames“

I'm surprised there hasn't been a reaction from North Korea yet. I mean, does Kim Yong-un really wish to be portrayed as a leader begging the president of the USA? On his hands and knees?

Oops! We spoke too soon.

Just as Trump was sharpening his sabre, Kim plays him and moves another chess piece by saying he'd still like to meet the fool.

In fact Kim never pulled out of the summit in the first place, but merely illustrating that he wouldn't be a pushover.

Current score:

NK 30

US 0

Trump's speech from the White House today pretty much put the lid on any summit with Kim Yong-un and we all know why this happened - Libya.

National security adviser John Bolton put his foot in his mouth saying that we're looking at a Libya situation, which is a red rag to Mr Kim, as the White House should have known. Then VP Pence adds his two pence (sic) worth, also saying that NK may end like Libya, with statements from both men provoking a furious reaction from from North Korea.

This is a particularly alarming development, especially since Trump pretty much threatened NK in his speech today, saying that the US was the most powerful force in the world and that they were locked and loaded. He then went on to say that he would expect his allies such as Japan to contribute to the cost, as if military action was a foregone conclusion.

In my humble opinion, this is a humiliation for the US, when no more than a few weeks ago Kim was sitting down with the president of South Korea and even unification seemed less than a dream.

But then, if any body of people is capable of fucking up, it's this current US administration, that has failed miserably to grasp the olive branch.

This article from The Guardian sums it up better than I could.

The failed Trump-Kim summit: the story of a trainwreck foretold