Posts from serafina in thread „20 public holidays in Argentina for 2018“

I didn't go out because I didn't want to spend any money, so I've spent the last couple of days fixing some PCs and today am digitalising a couple of dozen VHS tapes for another customer.

At least we're earning money in these holidays.

I think many people are doing small works in the home, judging from the cardboards and scraps that are thrown in the streets.

I noticed some practical implications of these holidays this last trip. There was a 4 day weekend if I can call it that, whilst I was there. I forget what for. In fact I think it happened twice in my eleven weeks if I'm not mistaken!

Exactly, @Bombonera - you have to exchange in advance based on your need for the (long) weekend. As GlasgowJohn said, ATMs run out of cash.

Today is a bridge holiday, and some stores are open. These are smaller stores with no employees. If you have employees and ask them to work on a holiday, you have to pay them twice. So most places shut down, unless there is the owner or his immediate family working.

Microcentro was dead as a cemetery. I had to go to the Consulate (which doesn't observe most local holidays). Traffic was light. Part of the 9 de Julio was cut because there was a food festival. I could see stands on a scenario, various tents/stands with smoke coming up etc.

I am working, in case this was not clear. US Flag Day was last week, but it was business as usual.