Posts from EJLarson in thread „In need of a new Apple computer!“

You are the sanest person in the room. Who gives a crap about the operating system? We don't boot our computers and marvel at what the OS can do! It's all about, and only about, what things we accomplish and the ease with which we do them. The first and last question that needs to be asked is "Does this computer allow me to do what I need to do with reasonable ease?" If "yes," then "and at a cost I'm willing to pay?"

Two yeses and the debate is over.

In my opinion, of all the screwups Microsoft has ever made, Windows 8 was the worst. How many customers like yourself did they alienate? Maybe millions. The irony and tragedy was that it was a good operating system - after all, it was the son of Windows 7, the best one to that time. The absolutely tone-deaf, brain-dead decision to put that stupid GUI on top of it cost Microsoft untold grief.

Those of us who were a bit more sophisticated than the general crowd (and weren't going to switch to Apple) found the answer immediately in a humble little app - free to boot! - called Classic Windows Shell/Classic Windows Desktop. It restores the Win 7 GUI completely, and lets us enjoy the improved OS but with our favorite GUI. Best of all worlds restored. Even though 10's native desktop's not bad, I still use it because the 7 experience was the best. Of course we shouldn't have to do that, but it's free and painless.

Windows 10 is solid, secure, and enormously flexible. These are not fanboy comments - I've passionately hated several of the MS blunders (e.g., Millenium Edition, Vista, Windows 8 ) and have cursed Redmond and all its works on those occasions. Only my multi-decade investment in knowledge and equipment kept me in the camp. So for me, Windows 10 is not just another OS upgrade - it's the resurrection of a product that we feared had lost its soul.

PS

Sorry, Serafina. Seems I hijacked your post. Good luck with your new Mac!

It's been years since I've engaged in the Mac-Windows debate and have no intention of doing it now. (Note that in my comments above, I'm simply stating facts or opinions on my experience with the two systems: no bad/good claims.) The simplest way to put it is that Apple has designed a semi-open system and does not make it easy for the user to meddle with things. Corporate decision, neither bad or good.

MS has gone out of its way to make things accessible (not always easy to find, but usually easy to tweak once you're there) and has paid lots of attention to backward compatibility. In fairness to both systems, they both do their jobs, and both have improved over the years. One friend, who went Apple in 1984 with the first Mac, says about Win 10: "they finally got it right - almost as good as a Mac."

Everyone loves to hate the Registry. Could have been done better, but I'm sure you're aware that it does much much less than it did a few years ago, e.g., with XP? Most settings are now saved with the apps, just like OSX. Our favorite whipping boy is now just a ghost of its former loathsome self.

Ben, you're obviously on the OSX side of things. Have you used Win 10 enough to have formed a comparative opinion?

That's another thing about the world of Apple. One day they'll decide to upgrade a product and make all previous versions, hardware and software, obsolete. The customer is then required to buy a completely new system or be put in your position: "Sorry, that's Yesterday. We only work with Today." It's part of what it takes to be Apple, and as long as everyone's a volunteer and understands what comes with the territory, I certainly have no complaints.

I'm still using a couple of obsolete software products on my Win 10 PCs that I originally purchased fifteen or more years ago and have never found good, newer, replacements for. You just tell Windows 10 to analyze the old program and if it decides that it should run in a legacy shell (say, from Windows XP) it wraps it accordingly and you've still got the functionality you had in the year 1995. In terms of continuity for older programs there's no competition: Windows wins.

I had to repair two Macs recently and it was a bloody nightmare from beginning to end.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Well, there you go. The intent in Cupertino is to keep all the money all the time. If repairs are needed, Apple wants a cut, so there are "authorized" dealers who toe the line, get the training, and pass the money.

In spite of what it may seem, I'm not anti-Apple. They do a superb job of what they do, and their customer base is loyal. I just personally have a problem volunteering to enter that world. To me, it's somewhat like taking up Scientology.

Serafina, hope you get what you need and you have my best wishes.

serafina - I haven't bought mine yet. I went in the Apple shop last month and came out with an iPhone 8 Plus for my daughter. I went in the iPoint in Unicenter this week and came out with an iPad Pro 10.5 for my son. I think I am doing it the wrong way and now I have to wait until the end of the year (probably) for my Mac.

Truth is I am in no big rush. Windows 10 is vital for me (I freelance for Microsoft), so I will be running Windows on the Mac anyway. Until I buy one I will make do with my Windows laptops.

My wife is All-Apple-All-The-Time, so when Cupertino says "buy this - it's good for you!" she trots off to the nearest iGrotto and plunks down her card. I'm not even sure if she asks the price - she has her orders, and they must be obeyed. Thus you're confirming my suspicions: you don't really get to choose your Apple products, you just go to iHeadquarters and they'll tell you what you need.

My computers, on the other hand, all run Win 10. And yes, I understand the difference: it's a tradeoff between Apple convenience (everything just works, because it's a well-engineered closed universe) and money and flexibility in the much-wider, more open, and considerably lower-priced Windows world.

We're both happy, and there's your good story ending.