Posts from Splinter in thread „In need of a new Apple computer!“

I would never call Apple Care as there are numerous tools and guides available on the Net to allow me to fix most OSX related problems. Besides, I'd need to have an account with Apple for a the particular device I'd be working on.

I've never tried to game on a Mac, but I have tried on Linux Mint using Wine. When all the configs are out the way, it does work and games run. But it's all the fiddling about that puts me off.

Clearly Windows games just work straight out of the box.

Windows 8 was a disaster and I'm sure MS would rather forget it ever saw the light of day. They tried to bolt a mobile OS onto Windows 7 and it fell through the floor.

Here's an article I wrote about that fiasco.

I spend far too many hours tinkering under the hood of Win 10 ( which I love by the way, because it just works and rarely falls down), but I suppose that's the nature of my job.

Anyway, I'm backing out of the Windows/Apple debate gracefully.

The versions of iMovie and iPhoto installed were incompatible with High Sierra. No other reasons were given, which is my point entirely. I had to bin them, along with several other programs for the upgrade to even begin, only to reinstall them after the upgrade. A minor nuisance, I know.

The whole point here is that, by its very nature and UI, OSX isn't designed to be consumer friendly as far as tweaking is concerned and those who fix Apple devices have wrapped their very raison d'etre around a black art, because the average user wouldn't have a clue how to fix a Mac.

On the other hand, a Windows PC offers so many choices that it's become relatively easy to do so many diagnostics and repair installs. And as far as driver support is concerned, I don't believe legacy support is holding MS back at all, because in my experience with fixing thousands of Windows PCs, since Win 7 you can be up and running within minutes.

It's also worth pointing out that third party driver databases have improved significantly over the years and are not the cowboys they used to be. Both Driverguide and Slim Drivers are excellent resources for any driver as far back as legacy 1996.

Clearly this is a discussion that will never end and I will continue to accept Mac repairs because I enjoy the challenge in a possibly masochistic way and besides, those repairs command a higher fee because they are never as simple as a Windows fix.

Edit

Excuse the bold, can't switch it off. Must be a Windows bug lol.

Trying to fix an Apple device is like being dropped in a foreign country without a map, where all the road signs are upside down, nothing is open and every street is closed off with a no entry sign or a combination lock that may or may not let you pass.

The two that I repaired recently needed to be upgraded to High Sierra and one wouldn't upgrade because the versions of iPhoto and iMovie installed were incompatible and needed to be uninstalled, but with no hint as to why, bearing in mind that those are in fact Apple programs in the first place. Then the message 'in a few minutes' actually became several hours and it never completed the upgrade, with no reasons given.

My biggest problem with Apple products is the complete lack of 'road signs' to indicate why something won't happen as expected. It's also true that if you have the misfortune to need to reinstall OSX, always have another Mac handy in order to prepare the boot media as I've never had any luck with Transmac for Windows. And let's not even talk about the incompatible file systems.

I had to repair two Macs recently and it was a bloody nightmare from beginning to end.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Selling a used Mac in Argentina is good business, as opposed to the USA. There are plenty around here, but presentation of the sale is everything.

I've sold a few and proven that to be the case. I certainly wouldn't consider trading it in, not here anyway.

With the dollar as it is, looks like much less hassle buying it locally. Even nearly new.

I've been very lucky at Eze and in fact I've written one or two articles about my experiences which I'll try and dig out.