Posts from daniel in thread „Load bearing wall“

Thanks for the information.

I am speaking as a relative novice so will try to explain as best I can. It is a flat ceiling/roof above, so I presume it supports itself with a series of beams? Underneath I am not sure other than there is no wall directly below it in my house, so there is no direct path to the foundation. Whether it is on the floor joists I am unsure. If I open up the bottom and top of the wall, is there a way for me to find out for myself?

Honestly, I have no issue paying for it if neccesary but I want more than "do it just in case" that the builder told me. So, I want a contractor who is trustworthy to give an honest appraisal and confirmation either way. Problem is I am struggling to find someone who is not charging huge amounts, is being vague about when they can do it (loads seemingly don't want to work), or providing photos/videos of their work that is less than impressive.

It is probably not load bearing, but the rule of thumb, when tearing out a wall is to be cautious. Feel the studs and find if any have undo tension, if so then a header may

be of need to install. Since this is a flat roof, the header would have to go under the ceiling, most flat roofs are constructed to be self supporting, at least they are where I live.

Not really up to codes in Argentina.

Semigoodlooking ..

What is above the wall but more importantly, what is underneath. A load bearing will transmit the load to the foundation, via the floor joists or directly to the foundation

via a slab. To determine if the wall is load bearing, how is it built, with relation to the ceiling joists. Is the roof built with self supporting ceiling trusses or is it a framed roof?