Posts from Splinter in thread „Mid-term elections 2021“

Talk about bending the truth and wrapping it up just to improve your image, Victoria Tolosa Paz, the government's poster child candidate who lost in the recent elections, says ' Even though most don't believe it, I have 16 grandchildren.'  Hmm, at 48 years old?

It turns out that they are the grandchildren from the seven sons of her ex husband who she has recently remarried.

Glamourous gran? Glam yes, but not a gran.

Farcical situation yesterday regards voting stations. My wife had to go to a school on the road out of town, I had to go to a school close to my mother in law and finally we took the MIL to a school just around the corner from where we live. F'ing crazy!!

Same for me. I had to go to a school about five miles away while my English mate went to a school about ten minutes walk from his house.

This map shows the reality of what Albert&Co are denying/celebrating.

Alberto is trying the tactic of the US’s disgraced, twice-impeached, former president: pretending They didn’t lose. We’ll see if Albie can also succeed in ripping his nation apart, perhaps whipping up disappointed followers to attempt a coup to “stop the steal.”

I can’t believe he would get very far with that. Not enough charisma and not enough deluded followers.

He has as much charisma as a dead sheep.

The most important aspect now is that the government has lost it's majority in parliament, notably congress. But will we feel the change? Or will Alberto and his mob of delinquents simply sail along as if nothing has happened?

That is in fact what they did last night by celebrating a victory that never happened. 2+2=5.

Apparently CFK hasn't even voted, citing illness and she won't be at Albert's bunker either, the theory being that she leaves him stranded to take the blame for the probable defeat.

In Argentina anything is possible!! ^^

It was a surreal situation to be in....not what I was expecting. Alone in a poorly lit room with all these leaflets on a table. Hundreds of 'em and having no idea which to choose. After five minutes I just sealed my envelope empty, walked back out and shoved in the box. The missus asked me what the heck was I doing in there so long!!

All you had to do was pick up a paper that had the same colours as this. Unless you're a Kirchnerite of course.

It's odd, but when checking the electoral role with my DNI number, I don't figure as being able to vote, so I'm waiting for a phone call from one of the local parties as happened in the primaries.

The same happened then in September where my name didn't appear but I was on the list. Odd/

EDIT:

Foreigners have to check the legal aliens page, that's the mistake I was making.

Junta Electoral de la Provincia de Buenos Aires

The Financial Times is painting a very bleak picture of Argentina and the elections are looming which Albert will undoubtedly lose.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

In an attempt to win over voters before the election, the government has stepped up welfare payments partly funded by central bank money printing and frozen the prices of more than 1,400 household products until January, including liqueur, vermouth and cat food.

That made me chuckle, but I'm not sure why.

With the mid-term elections about two and a half weeks away, campaigning is in full swing with the government offering yet more bribes with subsidised payment plans up to 30 instalments, in-fighting within the Peronist party with Sergio Berni having a go at Anibal Fernandez - "I think I was clear, but would you like me to draw you a picture?" when referring to how badly the PASOs went.

On the other hand, the opposition, JUNTOS (por el cambio) appear to be on cruise control and are definitely leading the campaign race.

As usual, the sitting government is so full of shit hubris, that they think they can turn this around.

This is how Peronists show their respect, as they did yesterday in Plaza de Mayo on Peronist Loyalty Day. The stones and posters were place in memory of those who have died from Covid, regardless of their religion or political views.

Nothing is sacred from these animals.

Participantes del acto del Día de la Lealtad caminaron sobre las piedras que recordaban a los muertos del COVID-19
    Entre aplausos de los manifestantes, arrancaron las fotos que recordaban a los fallecidos durante la pandemia. El repudio en las redes sociales
    www.infobae.com

Did anyone catch the 'debate' between CABA candidates on TN Dos Voces? And if you have any experience of a meal with two or more Argentines present, you'll know what I mean.

We caught the last 20 mins and it really was like a typical Argentine get together - everyone interrupting each other until at one point all four were shouting at the same time so you didn't know what the heck was going on.

It was pretty much a farce to be honest as they seem incapable of any kind of reasonable debate. Even Adri left the room and went to bed, which is saying something. My ears were were ringing afterwards.

Since the mid-term primaries a couple of weeks ago, the government has printed a staggering AR$100 billion to cover its costs, most of which is public spending.

How that will impact on inflation is anyone's guess and the blue dollar rate to day is at $187.

Well, this is fascinating. I’ve been too wrapped up in the unfolding story of the US past president’s unstable state, and haven’t been following the misdeeds of Argentina’s leaders.

Splinter , what reasons did these resignees give for bowing out? Why would xtina have pushed them? I need a lot of catch-up.

Told by Cristina to resign. Many believe this is a push for power from her and some even go as far as to describe it as a golpe de estado.

Nearly a dozen ministers resigned from the cabinet today, apparently pushed to do so by Cristina thus widening the gap between her and the president. But then wasn't that the plan all along?

We know she's the real power behind the throne, but is she going for the big one?

Interior Minister Eduardo 'Wado' de Pedro offers resignation, others set to follow
    Interior Minister Eduardo ‘Wado’ de Pedro offers resignation to President Alberto Fernández; As many as four other Cabinet officials also expected to quit.
    www.batimes.com.ar