Posts from Carlos in thread „Argentina weather“

The Gulf Stream affects the climate of the whole West of Scotland.

Glasgow, East Kilbride and indeed Thornliebank share the same latitude as Moscow.

But our winters are quite a bit milder.

a benefit of the caribbean gulf, I guess. I understand now.

I don't usually moan about the weather, but accept it for what it is. Mother Nature is a fickle mistress, as I have learned when at sea.

But this heatwave seems to have been going on for weeks, if not months and yet, there's no rain in sight. Riding my motorcycle is not really a problem, as long as I keep moving and find shady spots when I can (even those are at a premium) at traffic lights and such. Mind you, I'd rather be on a bike than stuck in car, but then there is always aircon :)

It's the duration and lack of rain that's worrying, more so for the farmers who have other battles to fight.

Check out this weather synopsis model for the next ten days and see how the rain skirts around us.

https://www.meteored.com.ar/modelos/

My boy's football game (3 pm kick-off) has been canceled tomorrow due to the forecast of excessively high temperatures - probably makes sense.

All the outside activities like sports must be cancelled. Even for young people. Only to stay outside in the shade at the side of a swimming pool, like that who I built at home this January

THe only thing that I can say is that the AMBA (Buenos Aires and surroundings) is a huge surface, and many variants of weather could happen, And also the weather forecast are perhaps not too accurate as in the US.

These sudden changes or temperature is common in summertime, thanks God.

Our most helpful aid is the south wind, which brings clouds first, later rain and then magnificent moderate sunny days.

A thing almost not understand by people who lives in the Northern Hemisphere.

They think that the most south you go, the most heat will be.

Many trees along the streets are valuable things of many parts of BA, It gives you shade, and shade with some dry wind, provokes a sensation of coldness. The worst is 38 C with humidity.

But I think it's fair to say that this winter is colder than the usual BA winter, that I can remember anyway.

Yes, I agree. Winters in these atitudes were always quite mild. 60 years ago were colder as this one.Perhaps the urban sprawl has contributed to this.

I am suprised to see a Scot like you (UKman) impressed and shocked bt this comparatively mild winter. (See the weather of Glasgow, for example, in winter.

it seems that living here you lost the resistance to cold that you got in your homeland.

Perhaps the reason is that here the heating systems are not as powerful as neccessary. This happens in my house as well, The heating system was underdesigned.

When in the Northern Hemisphere, we are always reassured to see the Three Marias.

The Three Marias are the Belt of Orion, a constelllation that you can see in both Hemispheres. I the USA I saw it looking south, that means looking to the Celestial equator.

That was in winter as well. Here you can see it looking north, but very high over the horizon. It appears in the east and as the hour passes, go to the west.

Perhaps the most easily recognizable constellation.

Indeed Carlos. I noticed today the fig trees in the garden are already sprouting new green buds. Compared to what I was used to in Scotland winter doesn't really exist in this part of Argentina. I struggle with the worst of the heat here in summer but thankfully it's only a few months of the year.

Australia and NZ have the same advantages. And also we southerners have an additional advantage. Our heaven, which includes the majority of the Milky Way. WE see much more stars than those who live in the Northern Hemisphere.

This cold but sunny winters are the reason why we do not celebrate too much the Spring arrival. You see green in alll the seasons, so Spring do not carry something special.

This is one of the advantages of living at 34 C latitude South, Of course we shall endure hot summers as the last one. But if you are affluent you can fly to the Patagonia,

Weather maps are terra incognita to me. When weather forecasters display maps with circles and arrows and dramatically colored patches, I feel as I’ve been transported to a nuclear physics class taught in Swahili.

Your article correctly says that “Apps and weather websites will give most people the required information — is it going to rain? Will it be sunny? What temperature will it be?”.  I would be content to learn just these things, accurately.  But all too often, the predictions are off.

I use The Weather Channel (often disappoints) and Rain Alarm (useful for immediate warnings).

I agree, the maps shows the progress in such a quick time that one cannot grasp which is the situation where you are, meanwhile the commentator says a lot of things that does not give you the information that you need.

I am skipping this heat wave in Argentina. Here in Kentucky we had a snowfall of 10 cm (4 inches) and there is no activity at all. Not all the roads had received the melting salt to prevent ice, the most dagerous risk driving a car.

Do not forget that we are living at a 34 degrees south latitude.If you translate it to the northern hemisphere, you are in Algeria or Tunis, not in Europe.

Of course, for being in October this is unusual. It becomes clear that the climater change is a reality.

Carlos can tell us, but I believe the architect traditionally oversees his buildings, to prevent this very kind of problem. In this case, you’d have to assume that either there was no architect at all, or the builders chose not to pay the architect for this oversight?

Yes, theoretically an architect is competent and its duties include to oversee the buildings. But here constructon is a mere business. Normally they repeat typologies of buildings adviced by the real Estate offices (las inmobiliarias) and they obey without objection. That's why architecturequality levels are now not that good from those of the 1930's, which made remarkable buldings as the Kavanagh.

Many of the architects that builds today are inside a chain formed by developers, investors, Real Estate companies, and many people which lacks even the least interest in doing good architecture. If you are not inside this group, you will not have important jobs. Only small houses received by commissions of close friends, that's all.

Be aware that BA is in 34° katitude south, equivalent to Morocco and Northern Africa. No wonder that we have quite long summers without the cold effect of latitude. Bogota, in Colombia, is in the equator, but due to its high altitude weather is much colder tham in BA.

On the contrary, our winter is mild and without snowfall, at least in BA and nearest places. Turist could come in winter with no problems at all.

Our winters are not so cold, at least in Buenos Aires latitude. therefore no concern about the beginning of this season.

Even best, it helps the city to be "more european"

than it is.

Very interesting. I would really enjoy taking one of your classes, Carlos . You really add a welcome educational element to the forum. Please continue!

No surprise. It was my preferred job in 49 years of being an architect. But there is no inherent superiority in this ability. Only sweat, time and patience.

Yes, you understand quite well my uncanny observation. Exactly, the Modern Movement fostered cities completely alien to the traditional ones. They were concerned for hygiene, need of wide spaces with green and solar light, not as the medieval towns of the old Europe. And also for dividing the cities in what the Americans call "Zoning": For work, for entertaining, for dwelling and for circulation and transport.

But later the Modernism was criticized for being so dumb as they did not made urban spaces that could signify anything. They never understood the charm of an Italian Piazza or a small british town in the Cotswolds.

I am attaching an image of those "drawing board cities"

That good influence of the trees is blatant if you compare the landscape of Brasilia, in 1960, plenty of brand new buidlings of the highest quality but inside a desert plenty of dust and sun everywhere. Now I saw images of Brasilia with the already grown trees, and it looks much more better. However, Brasilia is still a city unfriendly for a pedestrian. Nice places are too scattered and at the enfd you need a car. (problems of the Modern Movement of Bauhaus and Le Corbusier, now very criticized by the academy.